PDA

View Full Version : Fixing twist after the fact

Justin Choi
03-29-2017, 10:13 AM
My basement has a built-in basic workbench secured to concrete footers and steel I-beams that support the main I-beam for the house. It's an L shape 125x24" long with a 27x29" nub. (so the outside dimensions of the "L" are 125x51")

I want to replace the top and integrate a router table into it. So I want it to be stable. My problem is that both of the 12' 2x4s running the length of the bench have some twist in them. It's not terrible, but its pretty easy to see. Any ideas for what I can do to compensate for the twist? I figured I can always shim, but I was hoping to avoid trimming a bunch of 1.5" long shims.

Steve Peterson
03-29-2017, 12:33 PM
All 12' 2x4s are going to have some twist to them. They should flatten out when you screw them to the legs.

Steve

Robert Engel
03-29-2017, 1:14 PM
Pics needed but assuming you cannot remove them, if you can release the top you can scab on a straight 2x6 apron and attach to the 2x4.

Justin Choi
03-29-2017, 5:50 PM
I'll have to get some pics that highlight the twist this weekend. The 2x4s are removable but not without effectively deconstructing the workbench (and the wood rack I added to it). I'd like to avoid doing that if possible. The apron would work except that there are power outlets mounted along the length of the 2x4, and I'd lose a few inches of wood storage. I suppose I was hoping for an easy self-leveling product that plays nice with wood screws, pressure from clamping/etc, and vibration.