PDA

View Full Version : Well, I finally did it.

Bill Jobe
03-28-2017, 4:02 PM
Ordered a new G0766. Should have it by this time next week.
Very excited.

Steve Mathews
03-28-2017, 4:14 PM
Congrats! Of course pics are in order when it arrives.

Greg Parrish
03-28-2017, 5:25 PM
Congrats. Can't wait to see pics. Looks like a great lathe.

I looked at the grizzly but John Keetons review and pics sucked me in on the laguna. I'm only mildly kicking myself on not waiting 2 weeks since the PM 3520b is on sale, but it's still too pricey I think.

Roger Chandler
03-28-2017, 7:16 PM
Congrats on the new G0766, Bill! Pics are always in order! Lots of great help and info on the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG]. Feel free to join if you have not already done so.

Bill Jobe
03-28-2017, 8:22 PM
Thanks everyone. How lucky I am to have found this forum and the excellent advice and feedback. The 0766 looks to have everything I want and at a lower price than comparable brands. The 22" swing was a major factor in my decision. I'll post pics at some point. Still waiting for my 220 to the garage and plan to put together a DC system that is sufficient and save some $$$ by blowing everything outside. My son-in-law has a bead on some components so we'll see how it goes.

Jay Mullins
03-28-2017, 9:43 PM
Congrats Bill, I've had my Griz 766 for about a year and couldn't be happier. If you have any questions, there's a great group of turners here and on the community forum. We've all benifited from being on this site.

Jay

Brice Rogers
03-29-2017, 12:02 AM
Bill, (1) you'll enjoy your new lathe.
(2) for your dust collector, if you are planning on sucking in anything bigger than dust (like shavings) you will still want to have a separator. Otherwise the shavings will try to go through the suction unit and are likely to plug it up right away. I made a Thien baffle but there are other simpler solutions. You are right though, dumping the dust outside (if you can) is a good idea. I am doing the same thing (dust collector > separator > exhaust outside. I use it for collecting dust, some shavings (push cuts on face work), plus put in a floor sweep which really speeds us clean up.

Thanks everyone. How lucky I am to have found this forum and the excellent advice and feedback. The 0766 looks to have everything I want and at a lower price than comparable brands. The 22" swing was a major factor in my decision. I'll post pics at some point. Still waiting for my 220 to the garage and plan to put together a DC system that is sufficient and save some $$$ by blowing everything outside. My son-in-law has a bead on some components so we'll see how it goes.

Bill Jobe
03-29-2017, 12:08 AM
Congrats Bill, I've had my Griz 766 for about a year and couldn't be happier. If you have any questions, there's a great group of turners here and on the community forum. We've all benifited from being on this site.

Jay

Thanks Jay. That's another major reason I chose the 766... everyone who owns one seems to be well satisfied with it.
I intend to add a Oneway Stronghold chuck and curious how those who fitted the 766 with one likes the combination. Have not ordered it yet and If you have one how do you like it? I've never owned a real self centering chuck cause I've only owned a HF which definitely does not come with one.

Bill Jobe
03-29-2017, 12:12 AM
Bill, (1) you'll enjoy your new lathe.
(2) for your dust collector, if you are planning on sucking in anything bigger than dust (like shavings) you will still want to have a separator. Otherwise the shavings will try to go through the suction unit and are likely to plug it up right away. I made a Thien baffle but there are other simpler solutions. You are right though, dumping the dust outside (if you can) is a good idea. I am doing the same thing (dust collector > separator > exhaust outside. I use it for collecting dust, some shavings (push cuts on face work), plus put in a floor sweep which really speeds us clean up.

Brice, not sure what you mean by "floor sweep".

And, yes, definitely plan on some sort of separation.

Greg Parrish
03-29-2017, 3:06 AM
Brice, not sure what you mean by "floor sweep".

And, yes, definitely plan on some sort of separation.

Floor sweep is something along these lines
http://www.woodnshop.com/Shopfox/IMAGES/w1003_cat_c.jpg

Roger Chandler
03-29-2017, 7:35 AM
Thanks Jay. That's another major reason I chose the 766... everyone who owns one seems to be well satisfied with it.
I intend to add a Oneway Stronghold chuck and curious how those who fitted the 766 with one likes the combination. Have not ordered it yet and If you have one how do you like it? I've never owned a real self centering chuck cause I've only owned a HF which definitely does not come with one.
Some chucks do not fit all the way up to the spindle shoulder on the 0766. Most of us owners took a fine file, turned the lathe to about 500 rpm, and held the file against the spindle boss, and checked the fit till we had a good fit for our particular chuck insert. Piece of cake! Use some fine sandpaper, and polish it up like new. Not all inserts are manufactured the same. Grizzly chucks don't require any modification, and I heard of another one but don't remember off hand the brand. I use SuperNova chucks and Hurricane chucks, and did take a little off the spindle boss where it registers the insert onto the spindle shoulder.

Mike Budzynski
03-29-2017, 8:00 AM
Congrats on the purchase and looking forward to pics of new projects.

Jeramie Johnson
03-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the club!

Bill Jobe
03-30-2017, 12:18 PM
It's here already. Just got a call...it's at the UPS terminal and I can pick it up in the morning.
Wasn'T expecting it til next week.
No if it will just fit in a Ranger.

Bill Jobe
03-31-2017, 7:02 AM
Some chucks do not fit all the way up to the spindle shoulder on the 0766. Most of us owners took a fine file, turned the lathe to about 500 rpm, and held the file against the spindle boss, and checked the fit till we had a good fit for our particular chuck insert. Piece of cake! Use some fine sandpaper, and polish it up like new. Not all inserts are manufactured the same. Grizzly chucks don't require any modification, and I heard of another one but don't remember off hand the brand. I use SuperNova chucks and Hurricane chucks, and did take a little off the spindle boss where it registers the insert onto the spindle shoulder.

Thanks for that heads-up. I would have paniced if I ran into that without knowing.

Mark Greenbaum
03-31-2017, 7:44 AM
Bill: Congratulations - and welcome to the fold. I made my decision to purchase even before they had made landfall in the USA. Based upon what Roger Chandler had stated, and his experiences with Grizzly - the price and options made the selection easier. I was the guy who wrote to Papa Grizzly regarding the inadequacies of the banjo, and he listened and made good on a redesigned banjo to all owners.

I've had my G0766 for 18 months, and I've had virtually no problems. I've had to replace the speed potentiometer, but that was simple enough. The main problem is this: I cannot walk through my workshop area with getting sucked into that VORTEX. It's so much fun to have a stable, solid lathe and I live in area where hardwoods abound for free after every storm. Enjoy, and keep your tools sharp.

david privett
03-31-2017, 8:14 AM
it should with the tailgate down it will be to long even if you have the long bed ranger , tie her off good and feel your steering might get a little light.

Bill Jobe
03-31-2017, 8:31 AM
I can't wait to run my first piece on it.

David, my last Ranger would do just about anything I'd ask it to do. That thing was a real workhorse. I once loaded 1950 lb of rock slabs when I caught the clerk at the scales in a good mood and let me drive way back in the mine. It handled it, but when I had to cross a bridge that had a fairly steep on ramp the front tires were tap dancing.
I should be ok. The Ranger I have now is a super cab and regular bed. The additional weight of the 4wd and extended cab ahead of the rear axle ought to handle to hold the tires on the ground. It also has the bigger 4.0 motor that I think probably weighs more than other Ranger motors.

Brice Rogers
03-31-2017, 1:01 PM
The shipping weight of the crated lathe is around 600 # so it should handle it fine. IIRC the length of the crate is around 69 or 70", so it is possible that it'll fit in your bed with the tailgate up? My only advice is to really strap it down tight. If it is laying in the bed with the tailgate up, make sure to bring some wood blocking to keep it from sliding. I picked mine up with an F150 with an 8 foot bed. At the first traffic light, when I applied the brakes, the crate slide forward hitting (and slightly deforming) the end of the bed. It was like I had been rear-ended. :eek: So I stopped and positioned wooden blocking to keep that from happening again.

Bill Jobe
03-31-2017, 3:29 PM
Not quite. But I used a sandbag. Wish I'd thought to slip something between the crate and tailgait.

Greg Parrish
03-31-2017, 3:35 PM
Not quite. But I used a sandbag. Wish I'd thought to slip something between the crate and tailgait.

Awesome. Have fun getting it out of the truck once you get it home. :)

Thankfully my laguna came the other day with lift gate service and the guy rolled it into my garage where I was then able to uncrate and assemble at my leisure. Waiting for more pictures.

david privett
03-31-2017, 9:20 PM
my ranger was a 86 with sagging springs and a 2 litre everything was a adventure using it for much work, but it is gone now. that is why I suggested that care should be taken for all I knew you were the new owner of my old truck.

Bill Jobe
03-31-2017, 10:41 PM
No....'02. Had to replace a lot of suspension but it's a great truck now. One of the shocks I took off was a bit overdue. After I got it off I grabbed one end to hold it up and the other end dropped to the ground.
New Bilsteins now and I love them.

Bill Jobe
03-31-2017, 10:59 PM
Taking a break from unloading the 0766. I knew they were heavy but when I grabbed the top leg it felt like the whole truck. They are bolted together.
I have to aplaud Grizzly. This thing came very well packaged. One note to those in the process of buying one. ..when I did free the top leg it slid to one side. They had routed the power cord between them. Nothing happened but I can see a posibility of pinching the cord.
Also, I had joked around to someone, that I had just a HF mini and that I was working it so hard by the time I get my Grizzly it might make for a nice big banjo. Then today when I opened a box packed inside what I found was a banjo almost as big as the mini. It's big.
They shipped so fast I was caught off gard. I needed to rearranget my stash of wood to make room for my new toy. Today I have been working like a dog. But it's done. I'be go the legs out but I don't have any help so I think the bed will sleep in the bed tonight.
Also, I'm waiting for my son in law's workload to ease up so I can get 220 to the garage. I asked the wife if I could drag it downstairs to the laundry room where there's 220. For some reason she gave that a thumbs down.
Do they sell 40 foot 220 extention cords?

Back to work. Man that spindle is up there!!!.

Greg Parrish
04-01-2017, 5:24 AM
You can take a 50' 12/3 contractor grade 110v extension cord and put new 220v ends on it to fit your receptical and lathe.

Also, I'm waiting for my son in law's workload to ease up so I can get 220 to the garage. I asked the wife if I could drag it downstairs to the laundry room where there's 220. For some reason she gave that a thumbs down.
Do they sell 40 foot 220 extention cords?

Bill Jobe
04-01-2017, 5:54 PM
You can take a 50' 12/3 contractor grade 110v extension cord and put new 220v ends on it to fit your receptical and lathe.

He has purchased all the materials. Just returned from Menards. He's using 10/3, I suppose that's what he'll need to run another 50ft or so after I build my detached workshop. Also I intend to use a 3hp for the dust collector
Perhaps that alone made him use the 10/3. I know nothing about electricity.

Greg Parrish
04-01-2017, 6:19 PM
He has purchased all the materials. Just returned from Menards. He's using 10/3, I suppose that's what he'll need to run another 50ft or so after I build my detached workshop. Also I intend to use a 3hp for the dust collector
Perhaps that alone made him use the 10/3. I know nothing about electricity.

10/3 is larger than 12/3. smaller gauge is bigger. Backwards I know.

i can't swear by it as I'm not an electrician either but I'm thinking 10/3 can support up to 30 amp 220v. 12/3 ok for 20 amp. I'm sure the distance and start up amps mater but most of these 2 and 3 horse motors run between 5 and 13 Amos running and have a surge on start up that may go up 3 to 5 amps give or take.

Brice Rogers
04-01-2017, 6:27 PM
Bill, something to think about: The original banjo was shorter. In December 2015 they sent out a box of parts to allow the early owners to get the longer banjo. Many people bought the parts that were transfered from the old to the new banjo, so that they could end up with two banjos. I find that for smaller items (like under say 14 or 16" diameter) that I prefer the smaller banjo. Sometimes I'll use both banjos - -one for the inboard side and one for the outboard side. Also, when I am using my Monster Hollower clone I use one of the banjos to support the rear end of the rig and the other to support the cutting end.

The smaller banjo appears that it can still be bought as a bunch of individual parts for a total of around $75 total IIRC. If you look on-line on Griz, the bigger version is referred to as V2. So that is how you can differentiate the two. The slide bushing carries a V2 nomenclature. The original version didn't work very well. But the V2 fits both the old and the new banjo.

You don't need to buy the $3 clamp plate as you got two extra as part of the packing.

Bill Jobe
04-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Unbelievable. Ordered a 220 cord reel to hang from the ceiling on Monday. Just got an email telling me it is already out for delivery by my local post office.
That was just the standard free shipping, 5-7 days.
I may be able to fire this thing up sometime tonight.

Bill Jobe
04-08-2017, 12:55 PM

Now understand why he had me buy a 12/3 grade retractable cord. He"s going to hang it, but when it came and I saw 110-125 volt I called him and all he said was "it'll work".

And guess what? Got a call from the big guy earlier. I'm getting 220 to the lathe today !!!

Bill Jobe
04-08-2017, 1:02 PM
And I know this is the wrong subforum to adk, but I was pricing materials to build a workshop and wondering if 14'x 16' with 10' walls be big enough. At this point I have no interest in moving beyond turning.

Brice Rogers
04-08-2017, 3:13 PM
Bill, a workshop can never be too big. Mine is 24 x 36 and I wish that it had a second floor or was bigger. ;)

Greg Parrish
04-08-2017, 5:06 PM
And I know this is the wrong subforum to adk, but I was pricing materials to build a workshop and wondering if 14'x 16' with 10' walls be big enough. At this point I have no interest in moving beyond turning.

I'm using a 22x20 garage and I need more space. I do have a table saw setup with full sized 52" fence on it and lots of tables and benches and cabinets, but managed to squeeze a bandsaw, drill press, lathe, miter station, 3 work benches, outfeed table, work/assembly table, storage cabinets, tool boxes, air compressor, wood storage rack, etc. Last larger item I have space for is a wood kiln of some sort that I need to build. That said, its packed. I would go as big as you can just in case. :)

Ken Burner
04-09-2017, 9:51 AM
Nice wire sizing calculator here: http://www.paigewire.com/pumpWireCalc.aspx

Ken

Bill Jobe
04-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Well, the Grizzly is up and going, but I lack dust collector still.
I'd like to do as others have done and build my own with a 3hp motor, separater, then to the out of doors.
I just can't get my head around that much. The alternative is an overpriced unit that comes complete, but I really would rather save money by building my own.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Jobe
04-10-2017, 12:40 PM
By the way, I really had no choice as to the shape of this thing. Whoever cut it cut it in a square with 2 flat surfaces about 60 degrees apart on the spindle end.

Bill Jobe
04-10-2017, 2:10 PM
Nice wire sizing calculator here: http://www.paigewire.com/pumpWireCalc.aspx

Ken

Ken, everything included in wiring is over my head. What he did was run a line with 12,12 and a bare wire. Then hung https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007JQAVFC/ref=mp_s_a_1_10/159-4944129-1658953?ie=UTF8&qid=1491146751&sr=1-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Bill Jobe
04-14-2017, 4:17 AM
Oneway Stronghold on its way. Bought from Hartville Tool via Amazon. $287,95 and includes spindle adaptor and #2 jaws. Also ordered the #3 jaw set. $343.90. No tax no shipping.

William C Rogers
04-14-2017, 8:43 AM
Bill been following the thread and wanted to wait until you got your lathe up and running. Congratulations! I looked at those lathes, but in the end I upgraded my PM 90. World of difference in stability vs midi. I kept my midi's as I still use them for some very small items like finials. I ended up putting together my own D.C. cyclone system. I bought a 3hp Jet from CL and bought the Escarda cyclone. The cyclone, used D.C., relay and remote all came to about $700. This would compare to the $2000 off the shelf system. I have a 30 X 5' shop and ended up spending another $700 for pipe, fittings, blast gates, etc. I went the cheapest way as I could have spent much more. The thing to keep in mind is after the system you can spend just as much getting it going if you have a large shop. I posted in workshops forum some of what I did for my system.

Bill Jobe
04-14-2017, 9:39 AM
Bill been following the thread and wanted to wait until you got your lathe up and running. Congratulations! I looked at those lathes, but in the end I upgraded my PM 90. World of difference in stability vs midi. I kept my midi's as I still use them for some very small items like finials. I ended up putting together my own D.C. cyclone system. I bought a 3hp Jet from CL and bought the Escarda cyclone. The cyclone, used D.C., relay and remote all came to about $700. This would compare to the $2000 off the shelf system. I have a 30 X 5' shop and ended up spending another $700 for pipe, fittings, blast gates, etc. I went the cheapest way as I could have spent much more. The thing to keep in mind is after the system you can spend just as much getting it going if you have a large shop. I posted in workshops forum some of what I did for my system.

Thanks William. I plan to do the same for DR. I'll check out your details and perhaps build the same thing. I have the money to buy a high dollar unit ready to go, but from what I've been reading they are over rated and over priced.

Bill Jobe
04-15-2017, 11:09 PM
The Stronghold came today already. What a sweet little chuck. I checked runout on the chuck body first thing.... .002. I think that's pretty good for a wood lathe, isn't it? Actually my indicator is from HF, so...
Anyway, so easy to load and unload.. I love it.

Bill Jobe
04-16-2017, 9:16 PM
Would someone help the idiot out and tell him how to remove the oneway stronghold from his grizzly 0766?

Roger Chandler
04-16-2017, 9:45 PM
Would someone help the idiot out and tell him how to remove the oneway stronghold from his grizzly 0766?Are you using the spindle pin in the holes to remove the chuck? Open the jaws about 1/4 to 3/8 inch, and use a screw driver for leverage. Was the chuck a good fit for your 0766? Did you modify the the spindle boss any, or did the Oneway fit all the way back to the shoulder of the spindle without taking the boss down any?

Bill Jobe
04-16-2017, 9:45 PM
Never mind. The idiot just found the manual that came with the chuck.

Bill Jobe
04-16-2017, 9:50 PM
Are you using the spindle pin in the holes to remove the chuck? Open the jaws about 1/4 to 3/8 inch, and use a screw driver for leverage. Was the chuck a good fit for your 0766? Did you modify the the spindle boss any, or did the Oneway fit all the way back to the shoulder of the spindle without taking the boss down any?

Yes, it fit right and the chuck shouldered at the end of the threads, but not to the larger shoulder near the lathe casting. I have to assume that's how it's supposed to fit.
As I wrote earlier the chuck body shows .002 runnout, but I'm going to clean both surfaces better and check again.

Bill Jobe
04-16-2017, 9:58 PM
Isn't supposed to come off the same way the spur drive comes off? The rod provided is not long enough. What am I doing wrong (please)

Roger Chandler
04-16-2017, 9:59 PM
Yes, it fit right and the chuck shouldered at the end of the threads, but not to the larger shoulder near the lathe casting. I have to assume that's how it's supposed to fit.
As I wrote earlier the chuck body shows .002 runnout, but I'm going to clean both surfaces better and check again.
Most of us took a flat file, and ran the lathe at about 500 rpm's, and took off a couple thousandth's, testing the fit frequently, for our particular chuck. That boss registers the chuck on the spindle, and different manufacturers do not all have the same dimensions on the inside of their inserts. Some fit with no mods necessary, some need a little off the boss.

Bill Jobe
04-16-2017, 10:07 PM
It is on there tight and true. I just can't take the chuck off.

Bill Jobe
04-16-2017, 10:08 PM
It sank good and tight when I mounted it. No obstructions

Fred Belknap
04-16-2017, 10:29 PM
I had same problem with a G0698 and a Oneway Talon chuck. I broke the spindle lock trying to get it unstuck. Here is a link to a thread about it.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156671-Grizzly-G-0698-lathe/page2&highlight=Grizzly+G0698+stuck+chuck

Bill Jobe
04-16-2017, 10:37 PM
I'm almost too embarrassed to admit that I was so stupid as to think the chuck had a tapered end that fits in the spindle. But, that's what the problem was.
I do find it odd, though, that Oneway numbered the jaw position but not the jaws.
That can wait for another day. I want to face the bottom of what (I hope) will become a bowl. Thanks for your efforts to help, but there are just days when my mind doesn't want to cooperate with the task at hand.

Bill Jobe
04-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Now i've lost my tape measure.

Brice Rogers
04-17-2017, 12:02 AM
Bill, after you get the chuck off, file the flat area to the left of the threads so that the chuck threads all the way to the back. It is called the register. Your chuck needs to seat on it.
The problem relates to chuck manufacturers make the chuck to screw on and over a 1.250 spindle. But Grizzly decided to make the rear of the spindle 1.260. They made a mistake.
Also, you may want to consider using a polyethylene washer between the chuck and the spindle. That will help the chuck unscrew.
Use the locking pin to lock the spindle. I usually use the chuck key to twist off the chuck. This isn't the best thing to do but as long as the forces are small, it isn't all that bad. Once I have my chuck a little more firmly attached so I put in a 1" board in the chuck jaws to give me more leverage.
If you ever get your chuck really badly stuck on, use a lubricant along the lines of liquid wrench - leave it sit for 24 hours and try again. If that doesn't work consider differential temperature applied between the spindle and the chuck. Google it if it doesn't make sense.

Bill Jobe
04-17-2017, 12:17 AM
So this is not properly seated?

Brice Rogers
04-17-2017, 1:55 AM
No, it does not look like it is properly seated. The left side of the chuck should be all the way against the right side of the "register". If you look at the spindle, starting from the right side, you,ll see (1) threads, (2) blank area for set-screws to push in to, (3) an intermediate area that doesn't serve much purpose and (4) the "register".
If you did not file about 0.010" off of your spindle, it appears to be interfering with proper lock up.
I think that I see a space between the register and the end of your chuck.

So this is not properly seated?

Bill Jobe
04-17-2017, 2:35 AM
I guess there's no risk of creating runout because if filled down, there will be no contact between the spindle and the adaptor.
What's the best way to go about (gulp) filing down the spindle between the spline and shoulder?
I'm in bed and the chuck is on the lathe in the garage, but I don't recall a step in the spindle diameter between the spline and the shoulder, something that makes no sense to me. If the adaptor fits over the spline, why not the rest if the shaft?
I'll look at it tomorrow.
Another reason not to worry myself about filing down the spindle is that i'll more than likely never use anything but Oneway and even if I did create runnout it would not effect the tapered drivers. It's simply clearance, isn't it.

Bill Jobe
04-17-2017, 2:39 AM
Back when I worked in the shop any surface that was simply clearance we'd always kick the feed up as far as we could, even though the engineers wanted a .012 feed per revolution.

Roger Chandler
04-17-2017, 8:10 AM
Don't over complicate this, Bill....it is simple. Hold a flat file to that area that the chuck is currently stuck at. [register/boss]. And take off a little, checking the fit often, until it goes all the way back to the spindle shoulder. Brice saying Grizzly made a mistake, I do not agree with. Chuck manufacturers are not totally consistent with the inside diameter on their inserts. There are a couple brands of chucks that fit the 1,260 spindle size, including Grizzly chucks. [that may give you some insight ...they may do it purposely for proprietary reasons to sell their own line of chucks]. And there are a couple others I have heard about as well. First thing I did was to file that boss down when I got my 0766, but I had the same previous experience with my former G0698 lathe. About 500 rpm's is a good speed, and when you reach the right size, then take some 600 grit and polish it while running....it should look like new.

Bill Jobe
04-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Don't over complicate this, Bill....it is simple. Hold a flat file to that area that the chuck is currently stuck at. [register/boss]. And take off a little, checking the fit often, until it goes all the way back to the spindle shoulder. Brice saying Grizzly made a mistake, I do not agree with. Chuck manufacturers are not totally consistent with the inside diameter on their inserts. There are a couple brands of chucks that fit the 1,260 spindle size, including Grizzly chucks. [that may give you some insight ...they may do it purposely for proprietary reasons to sell their own line of chucks]. And there are a couple others I have heard about as well. First thing I did was to file that boss down when I got my 0766, but I had the same previous experience with my former G0698 lathe. About 500 rpm's is a good speed, and when you reach the right size, then take some 600 grit and polish it while running....it should look like new.

Thanks, Roger. I will do that.
But the chuck was not stuck on the spindle. I forgot that it screwed on. That's what I meant when I wrote that I was almost too embarrassed to admit. It screwed right off with hardly any effort.
I thought it seemed odd having the chuck set out so far, but I figured they must have a reason, such as clearance to turn or sand closer to the end of the piece. Perhaps I should send them a bill for my labor?:rolleyes:

Boy, what a world of difference having a nice lathe and chuck after using that 10" HF mini.
I want to thank all who helped me make the decision. The members here are great.

Roger Chandler
04-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Glad you got it figured out Bill! :D

Bill Jobe
05-18-2017, 5:28 AM
I can't find the post right now, but I was considering buying the large adjustable rubber grips set of jaws with the Stronghold chuck and someone, (I can't recall who) suggested instead to buy the #3 jaws. I want to thank whoever gave me that advice because the #3s are about all I use. That you for your excellent and wise advise. Bill

Bill Jobe
05-18-2017, 5:37 AM
Filed the spindle down to allow the chuck to screw up to the shoulder as advised, too. Fits good. No problems. Thanks to those who explaned the problem and how to fix it.

What would we do without internet?

Roger Chandler
05-18-2017, 6:58 AM
Filed the spindle down to allow the chuck to screw up to the shoulder as advised, too. Fits good. No problems. Thanks to those who explaned the problem and how to fix it.

What would we do without internet?Good deal! Easy peasy to do, and you'll always be glad you did.