PDA

View Full Version : Loose plane depth adjuster threads

Bob Glenn
03-28-2017, 8:34 AM
I have a Dunlop plane that I have been using as a smoothing plane. Works well if really sharp. The problem, in use it goes out of adjustment with the blade backing out. The brass depth adjustment knob backs off allowing the blade to retract unless I am diligent about keeping it snugged up. I think the threads have too much clearance. I've tried tightening the cap screw, however, don't want to stress it too much. Thinking about putting a little paint on the threads. Any other suggestions to keep the knob from backing off? Bob

Malcolm Schweizer
03-28-2017, 9:11 AM
Blue thread lock. It will lock it in, but not so much that you can't remove it. (Red thread lock will fix it where you need Hulk to get it out.)

William Fretwell
03-28-2017, 9:33 AM
PTFE tape?

Robert Engel
03-28-2017, 9:38 AM
How tight is the lever cap?

Jim Koepke
03-28-2017, 1:01 PM
My memory may be wrong but there is not recollection of seeing a Millers Falls (Dunlap) plane with brass adjusters. Could yours have been swapped with a Stanley adjuster?

The cap screw should be tight enough to hold the setting for at least a few strokes. It shouldn't be so tight as to prevent the setting of the lateral adjuster or the depth adjuster.

jtk

Bob Glenn
03-29-2017, 9:53 AM
The lever cap screw is at tight as it should be. I think the brass adjuster is correct to the plane. IIRC from my machine class days, there are five levels of interference fit when cutting screw threads. This is obviously the loosest. Bob

John C Cox
03-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Your lever cap is way too loose.

Tighten up the lever cap screw more. You need the lever cap tight enough that it takes all the lash (slop) out of the adjuster before the iron actually moves.

The adjuster supposed to have some slop in it. And that little bitty tongue is not made to support the full load of the iron when planing. The iron should hold its position with the adjuster loose.