PDA

View Full Version : Do you????

Donnie Raines
10-18-2005, 11:19 AM
It dawned on me this morning: I never fill out the warranty information on items I buy. My dad bought a new toaster oven and I caught a glimpse of him filling out the warranty card. I have never ever did this....though(knock on wood) I have never needed to use a factory warranty on items beyond 30 days before.

Jim Hager
10-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Didn't used to fill them out but do now for the most part cause products can now be registered on line. I have found out that they are more than willing to help you if you have a problem if you have registered but not so much when you haven't.

I got much better at this once I got the access to the net.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-18-2005, 11:38 AM
I am like Jim, I use the net more and more to register tools.

Lee DeRaud
10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Didn't used to fill them out but do now for the most part cause products can now be registered on line. I have found out that they are more than willing to help you if you have a problem if you have registered but not so much when you haven't.I used to be pretty anal about it...turns out that here in California (and probably elsewhere), the warranty must be honored regardless of whether the purchase was properly "registered".

That said, I'm not sure I can remember the last time anything failed where the warranty mattered: always either DOA or soon thereafter (returned/exchanged at place of purchase) or long after the warranty expired.

Jim Poelstra
10-18-2005, 12:13 PM
One other thing to go along with this.....

Save that Receipt.

Steve Clardy
10-18-2005, 4:10 PM
Yes and no. Depends on what it is.
I do save all receipts though. Tax deduction mainly.

Bruce Page
10-18-2005, 6:43 PM
I do on the larger items like the Unisaw. I don't on the smaller stuff like cordless drill motors, etc. I do keep all of my receipts.

Frank Guerin
10-18-2005, 7:12 PM
Everything fails one day after the warranty exspires.

Doug Shepard
10-18-2005, 7:56 PM
I always save the receipt, but don't always register. They have to honor the warranty whether you send the card in or not. On the cards I do fill in, I skip all the questions that are thinly disguised marketing profiles (how much do you make, what are your hobbies, do you own your own home, etc) and just fill out the Name, Rank, and Serial Nbr stuff. The only reason I even bother with those is that some companies will send out warranty recall notices or product upgrade offers.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-18-2005, 11:11 PM
I save the receipt, but never send in the registration card. That's more a marketing survey than a legal document anyway. They have to honor the warranty whether you send it in or not.

Ernie Nyvall
10-23-2005, 7:33 AM
Nope, never didd. I thought about it a time or two though.

Ernie

Michael Stafford
10-23-2005, 7:37 AM
I save them in a file with the instructions and many, many years after the product is long gone I will find them in the file and throw them out......:p :o

Jim Becker
10-23-2005, 11:12 AM
I register online, but skip the "personal" questions...and use a special email address that I can abandon, if necessary. I do like to register things that may have updates issued so I learn about said updates in a timely fashion.

Ernie Nyvall
10-23-2005, 1:15 PM
I register online, but skip the "personal" questions...and use a special email address that I can abandon, if necessary. I do like to register things that may have updates issued so I learn about said updates in a timely fashion.

Good idea. Thanks

Ernie

Rob Littleton
10-23-2005, 3:45 PM
Never filled one out.

I don't understand what questions like, "What is your family income" and "How many in your family" have to do with a warranty.

Smells like marketing to me ...... No thanks

Jim Becker
10-23-2005, 4:49 PM
I don't understand what questions like, "What is your family income" and "How many in your family" have to do with a warranty.

Smells like marketing to me ......

It is marketing...but those questions are optional... ;) That's why I leave them blank and just register so that they know where the product is if there is a recall or update, etc.