PDA

View Full Version : What tool is this

Bill Jobe
03-26-2017, 4:35 PM
Bought within a box of wood turning tools. Long wooden handle.

Len Mullin
03-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Bill, could you post a picture of this item rotated 90*? I would like to see a picture of it from the side, rather then this one of the top.
Len

Stefano Bastianelli
03-26-2017, 10:51 PM
Maybe chattering tool?

Reed Gray
03-26-2017, 11:16 PM
I have been scratching my head over this one... If it has a burr, it could be a scraper of some sort intended for flattening. I had thought about a chatter tool, but it looks pretty wide, but it could still work for that.

robo hippy

John K Jordan
03-26-2017, 11:18 PM
Just from that angle to me it looks like something someone cobbled together from scrap late one Friday night to make a handle to do some job. The bolts don't look too straight from that picture so maybe it was done in a hurry. It may be missing pieces. It may have been a very clever solution to some issue. Or kill some rats.

More views, especially closeups of any wear or contact marks, might generate some useful ideas.

Give it to Sherlock Holmes for a look. Some observations and dimensions could be clues: what size and thickness is that metal tab, is it made of steel, what is the diameter and length of the handle, what size are the bolts, do they have hex or carriage heads, does that odd bolt head in the front have a nut on the other side, how long is that bolt, does the handle have any markings, is the handle well worn, worn in any specific place which may hint of the forces applied, any paint, finish, or significant scratches, does the end of the handle have a hole for hanging, has the end been whacked with a mallet?

Until there is more information, I'm going to guess that someone broke their dustpan and tried to fix it twice then gave up.

JKJ

Leo Van Der Loo
03-26-2017, 11:43 PM
It could be a handle for a repetitive and quick drilling operation o something like that, where the tailstock ram is moved forward and back ?? just a thought

Bill Jobe
03-27-2017, 1:38 AM
Sorry for the delay.

Bill Jobe
03-27-2017, 1:55 AM
Forgot one.

Bill Jobe
03-27-2017, 2:06 AM
A few more

John Keeton
03-27-2017, 6:49 AM
Whatever the purpose may have once been, I would not want to introduce that tool to a piece of spinning wood. No ferrule and minimal wood left in the shank where the bolts are drilled through. There is too much chance it could blow apart if and when a catch occurs - IMO likely given the configuration.

Jim Barkelew
03-27-2017, 7:15 AM
I think it was used to mount a formed shaper blade type cutter to scrape a profile. I have an old Craftsman molding head for the table saw that uses 3 cutters that look like they might fit something like this. Not sure if it would work very well. The molding head worked but was very scary to use. It's gathering dust in a drawer.

Jim

John K Jordan
03-27-2017, 7:38 AM
Wow, that's different! The first picture make the steel part look like it could have been a piece of thin sheet metal instead of a carefully machined part!. A picture is worth a ...

JKJ

John Brown
03-27-2017, 7:50 AM
Handle for a flour sack.

Dwight Rutherford
03-27-2017, 11:41 AM
I would hang it on the wall and when asked I'd knowingly state it is a " thingamajig " or "left handed ratsafrase rod".

Bill Jobe
03-27-2017, 12:58 PM
So, if I understand you all correctly...and I think I do...this piece could be of great value to me if added to my current assortment wood turning tools.

Marvin Hasenak
03-27-2017, 2:01 PM
I once worked in a shop that sold industrial equipment, one particular customer was a practical joker. When ever he ordered new equipment, the owner made sure he added a few extra bolts and washers or maybe even a worn out part from some other machine in the crate. It was the owners way of paying him back for his practical jokes. I think you been had. LOL

Paul Williams
03-27-2017, 2:46 PM
"So, if I understand you all correctly...and I think I do...this piece could be of great value to me if added to my current assortment wood turning tools" as long as it is never held against a rapidly turning chunk of wood.

No idea what the tool may have been used for, but I have several electrical connectors that look similar to the hunk of metal on the end of that stick.

Len Mullin
03-27-2017, 6:09 PM
I think it was used to mount a formed shaper blade type cutter to scrape a profile. I have an old Craftsman molding head for the table saw that uses 3 cutters that look like they might fit something like this. Not sure if it would work very well. The molding head worked but was very scary to use. It's gathering dust in a drawer.

Jim

Good guess Jim, I was thinking the same as you. I own numerous sets of the type of cutters you mentioned, and according to what is pictured here I think they would fit the handle.
Len