PDA

View Full Version : Square/Round Bottle Stopper

Jeff Sudmeier
10-18-2005, 8:28 AM
Well this stopper was an accident. I chucked up a peice of wood from the grab bin at the woodcraft store and was turning it round. I shut off the lathe and liked the round/squareness of it. So I finished up the turning, making the top round, the bottom round and the middle sides flat :) I like it and have another peice of the same wood waiting for another stopper!

And here is a Lacewood stopper that has been around for awhile:

Sorry about the picture quality, I only have a 4 MP kodak. I set it to the Close up objects type, but it still took poor pics. Any tips?

Glenn Hodges
10-18-2005, 9:30 AM
Jeff, unique designs stand out in woodturning, and this one sure is unique. If you had taken it down to get it perfectly round it would have been to small. This was a good save. What did you use for a finish?

Jerry Clark
10-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Jeff, those look real good- nice bold color and simple form gives it a classic look--
Picture- use the flash-- if you get over exposed areas-- use a white cloth to cut the flash down. The pictures look like the camera moved with the long exposure time.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Jeff, unique designs stand out in woodturning, and this one sure is unique. If you had taken it down to get it perfectly round it would have been to small. This was a good save. What did you use for a finish?

Thanks Glenn!!

I used BLO/CA as the first coat and then for the top coat I use High Gloss Spray Laquer, about 3-4 coats. This gives it a High Gloss and I have seen a stopper or two a year later done this way and it still looks good.