PDA

View Full Version : Racing jacks

Stephen Tashiro
03-26-2017, 1:04 AM
The homeowner's version of the automotive "racing jack" has a big roller on the front end and is easy to roll back-and-forth, but it's a pain in the neck to reposition the jack in the sideways direction. Are the jacks used by real pit crews of a similar design?

Chris Damm
03-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Racing jacks have a skid plate not a roller. They are light and very expensive. They get rebuilt often. Most of the jacks sold in big box stores are not worth the time it takes to get them home. I had to replace my NAPA jack last year after 38 years of rough service. My brother bought one from Farm & Fleet and it didn't last one day!

Mike Cutler
03-26-2017, 12:50 PM
The homeowner's version of the automotive "racing jack" has a big roller on the front end and is easy to roll back-and-forth, but it's a pain in the neck to reposition the jack in the sideways direction. Are the jacks used by real pit crews of a similar design?

No, they're not the same.
Most of what is being sold as a "racing jack" is really nothing more than a low profile jack. I have the HF aluminum version, and so far it's held up fairly well for me. The clearance on a Mini Cooper is only about 4" at the jacking point.
I primarily use a set of Quick Jacks for my cars, bit still occasionally will use a floor jack.

Kev Williams
03-26-2017, 9:54 PM
The 'racing jack' part of these jacks is the 'rapid pump' feature, which is a nice feature, but only applies to the full-down-to-contact time, after that there's nothing racy or rapid about them. Don't own one, but the one I used once seem to take a lot of effort to pump, but to be fair it was only a 2-ton (and a 3500lb boat)...