PDA

View Full Version : Corel Conversion Problem

George M. Perzel
10-18-2005, 8:05 AM
Hi All;
I have a customer who uses AutoCad and sends me switch tag drawings in .dwg format. AutoCad, like Corel, works with layers. When I open the .dwg file, all of the layers are visible and it is difficult to separate the objects as Corel object manager seems to group similar objects in the same layer on conversion.
I can convert them in Illustrator and copy them to Corel-works OK, but would like to go direct to Corel if possible. See sample file attached. Thanks
George

Nick Adams
10-18-2005, 11:15 AM
I want to chuckle after looking at the file. Either my importation of that Autocad file was horrid and it broke all curves apart or that particular file was not correctly laid out to begin with.
(Every persons likes and dislikes are different however this particular way works great.)

I dont believe I have run across the issue that you are having.

However normally all layers and objects partaining to a cutting function are grouped when sent to me. And all engraved functions (designs/text) are sent in another layer. With this being said I have explicit instructions on how to send a file to my shop and if not sent in that way the prices I charge to reformat/convert the file. It took many months of imposed extra cost to the customers to train them, but once they understood a little they all liked creating the objects/files in this manner. As many have said to me. It was easier knowing from the begining then it was down the road. Since it affects nothing on thier end they are typically more then happy to do it this way.

I am sorry I couldn't help Mr. Perzel but I am sure another person around here will have had this same problem at least once.

Joe Pelonio
10-18-2005, 12:06 PM
I get that too, what a mess. I don't know any way to get it directly into Corel
the way they have done it.

I'd be charging them for the time at $60/hr for that unless they can give it to you in a better form. I had one graphic designer last week that kept sending me bitmaps that were saved as eps or ai but not converted to vector, then he send me a bitmap that's an outline. Took him 5 tries to get me a vector file. I too have a customer that likes to send autocad files and I got him to figure it out, though the vector points are never connected, it still cuts ok.
Also have to get them to make the rastor (text) black.

George M. Perzel
10-18-2005, 1:35 PM
Hi Joe, Nick- and Jerry;
Thanks for input. I don't have any problem opening the file with Corel 12, but it comes out as shown below with all drawing layers in one layer.
I've been through this with this customer before and got him to send me each layer as pdf file, but then new guy gets involved and we start all over again.

Business would be a lot more fun if we could just get rid of customers!!
Thanks, guys.
george

Roy Brewer
10-18-2005, 10:05 PM
I can convert them in Illustrator and copy them to Corel-works OK, but would like to go direct to Corel if possible.

George,

Are you saying that Illustrator does it better? If so, would you mind attaching the .AI file to show Corel should have handled it?

Robert Alexander
10-19-2005, 12:02 AM
George,
I have been using a inexpensive program called autosketch (Ebay has them for about $30.00 ) that I have using when dealing with DWG files. I brought in your file you had posted and had it ready to go to corel 12 in under 5 minuts. I don't know if you need another program to complicate things. But sometimes you might be under a deadline and the customer wants it A.S.A.P. And they say fix it and pay the extra programing charge. Just an idea for you to consider.

Chris Cordina
10-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I use corel 12 and it took less than 4min to get to this state. I must be doing something wrong like not reading the question right. All I did was ungroup , deleated all yellow and text, deleated unused layers, regroup, hairline red, done.

J Porter
10-19-2005, 12:25 PM
George... take a look at how the Autocad file is opening. When I first opened it, it didn't open correctly because the last time I used Corel to open such a file, I opened it with a Front view. When I changed this to Top, I got the correct view like Chris.

I see 6 layers where only 3 of them are viewable (click the little eyeball in the Object Manager to see them or not).

However, it appears another problem you'll have to deal with is that the text doesn't line up correctly on the tags. A few more minutes of your time can correct this. You can simply click the color pallet to change the text from yellow to black.

Just add a few more dollars to the final bill... :)