PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sawyer, NE Florida

James Waldron
03-25-2017, 12:14 AM
I hope to find a fellow Creeker sawyer in the area who can provide rough hard wood lumber. I always prefer to deal locally if possible, and haven't found any local sawyers so far except some guys who work cypress only. And I've found some guys on Craig's List a bit farther afield than I was hoping for and most of them have turned out to be rather cranky when they learn I'm a one man shop. Lots of SYP around here from large commercial operators and a couple of big business hardwood sources, so I can get what I need, but a local individual or family team, pro or not, would be neat.

I know NE Florida isn't the primary source of hardwoods in North America, but it ain't all SYP and cypress either.

Anybody got a clue for me?

Danny Hamsley
03-25-2017, 7:36 AM
Bill's Mill in Jacksonville.

Bill is a good friend of mine, and a fine sawyer.

James Waldron
03-27-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks. I've been in touch with Bill. Appreciate your suggestion.

John K Jordan
03-28-2017, 8:51 AM
Did you look on the Woodmizer web site? They keep, or at least used to keep, a list of Woodmizer owners that are willing to saw for others. When I bought my mill they had a form to sign up for this.

Also, the WoodFinder lists sources and sawmills:
http://www.woodfinder.com/

JKJ

Robert Engel
03-28-2017, 10:25 AM
James,

TMK there are no mills that saw furniture grade dimensional hardwood lumber in the area. There are mobile mills like Bill ^ but they saw lumber you provide. A lot hardwood you see around here is sourced from tree services, which means lots of slabs, but no wood suitable for furniture making.

I use either A&M supply or Florida Southern Plywood. Sometimes you get lucky. I recently purchased some decent FAS Pennsylvania cherry from A&M for $4.25. I lucked out the cherry was rough (it was a misorder due to be sent back). When I stumbled on the cherry I was resigned to drive to Steve Wall lumber in NC. McEwen will only sell in 100BF lots and you cannot select wood. You'll find the suppliers cater to cabinet/millwork shops so they generally carry surfaced lumber (which I despise) and lots is not-so-straight :-(. FSP carries some rough lumber, usually maple and poplar but I've bought other rough species from them it all depends on what they have at the time.

Long story short, I've resigned myself to the fact I have to travel to find rough lumber direct from a mill. I'm heading to NC for 5/4 QSWO for a dining table project because that is nowhere to be found around here. I figure just make it a get away with my wife and eat the fuel cost.

I'm fortunate to have one friend in the tree service and another with a mill. I'm getting ready to have this sycamore 1/4 sawn and the crotch maple slabbed.

If you're interest in some let me know. I also have quite a bit of so. red cedar in my drying shed I'd be willing to let go pretty cheap.

Adam Chevalier
03-28-2017, 11:27 AM
James,

TMK there are no mills that saw furniture grade dimensional hardwood lumber in the area. There are mobile mills like Bill ^ but they saw lumber you provide. A lot hardwood you see around here is sourced from tree services, which means lots of slabs, but no wood suitable for furniture making.

I use either A&M supply or Florida Southern Plywood. Sometimes you get lucky. I recently purchased some decent FAS Pennsylvania cherry from A&M for $4.25. I lucked out the cherry was rough (it was a misorder due to be sent back). When I stumbled on the cherry I was resigned to drive to Steve Wall lumber in NC. McEwen will only sell in 100BF lots and you cannot select wood. You'll find the suppliers cater to cabinet/millwork shops so they generally carry surfaced lumber (which I despise) and lots is not-so-straight :-(. FSP carries some rough lumber, usually maple and poplar but I've bought other rough species from them it all depends on what they have at the time.

Long story short, I've resigned myself to the fact I have to travel to find rough lumber direct from a mill. I'm heading to NC for 5/4 QSWO for a dining table project because that is nowhere to be found around here. I figure just make it a get away with my wife and eat the fuel cost.

I'm fortunate to have one friend in the tree service and another with a mill. I'm getting ready to have this sycamore 1/4 sawn and the crotch maple slabbed.

If you're interest in some let me know. I also have quite a bit of so. red cedar in my drying shed I'd be willing to let go pretty cheap.

I grew up in the southeast GA area (Camden county) but now live in the Savannah area. Case woodworking supply is just south of Savannah and has a pretty good selection of furniture grade ready to work lumber.

John K Jordan
03-28-2017, 12:23 PM
...I also have quite a bit of so. red cedar in my drying shed I'd be willing to let go pretty cheap.

I have a number of fresh white oak logs ready for my sawmill but little use for it other than a few slabs and firewood. I'd trade for cedar but I'm afraid I'd be a further drive than NC. Near Knoxville.

JKJ