PDA

View Full Version : New Cutting Boards

Jeff Sudmeier
10-17-2005, 10:20 PM
I have been working on some christmas gifts lately.

Up first is an end grain board made of Maple, Walnut, Cherry and Red Oak. I didn't notice the dark spots in the maple before I oiled it and I really don't like them. However, LOML really likes them so I will keep it :)
Next up is a standard board, made up from Cherry, Red Oak and Walnut. I really like how these turned out (I made two and will make one more at least, with different woods).

Paul Franklin
10-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Jeff

Nice job.
What are you using to glue them up?

Paul

Dan Larson
10-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Nice work, Jeff! I have been thinking about making a project out of end grain maple. Not sure what I want to make, I just like the look of the end grain. How difficult was it to sand out the scratches?

Dan

Corey Hallagan
10-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Nice work Jeff. I like the end grain one the best. Looks different. Nice work on all. This is the time of year we can act like we are really saving some money making gifts and the equipment is paying for itself :) Got some gifts I am working on as well.

Corey

Tim Morton
10-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Hey jeff...I have been "asked" several times over the past few weeks by LOML to get it in gear for her families christmas gifts....I need to make about 10 things....I am thinking cutting boards would be PERFECT....any tips here would be appreciated.

Tom Conger
10-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Nice Jeff.

Being a new woodworker, any time the LOML asks me to build something for Christmas I tell her I need a new tool....

"Can't make a cutting board cuz I don't have a planer...."
"Can't make xxxx cuz I don't have a jointer...."

Jason Tuinstra
10-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Jeff, they look great.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-18-2005, 4:01 AM
Jeff

Nice job.
What are you using to glue them up?

Paul

Paul, I have always used good 'ole Titebond II. I have washed my cutting board 100's of times by hand and it is still going strong. My mom put hers through the dishwasher probably 10 times, before I chewed her butt, so I am confident that it will hold :)

Jeff Sudmeier
10-18-2005, 4:02 AM
Nice work, Jeff! I have been thinking about making a project out of end grain maple. Not sure what I want to make, I just like the look of the end grain. How difficult was it to sand out the scratches?

Dan

Dan, it wasn't difficult at all. I first planed the end grain, using 1/128" passes on my planer. I experienced VERY little tear out. Then I sanded it to 220. It is VERY smooth :)

Jeff Sudmeier
10-18-2005, 4:06 AM
Corey, for sure!! I mean, these cutting boards were FREE!!! I didn't have to buy anything to make them. They are made of scraps... Now if I had to count my tool cost... well :)

Tom, you are learning! That is the perfect exuse :) Right now I am in the phase of "Paying for some of the tools" I have bought.

Jason, Thanks!!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-18-2005, 4:07 AM
Hey jeff...I have been "asked" several times over the past few weeks by LOML to get it in gear for her families christmas gifts....I need to make about 10 things....I am thinking cutting boards would be PERFECT....any tips here would be appreciated.

Tim,

Cutting boards CAN be quick and easy. :) I made two of the striped boards... to make them, I glued them up as one then cut them apart.. I would imagine you could make up to 3 at a time this way and gang cut the peices for all 10 at once.

Vaughn McMillan
10-18-2005, 5:06 AM
Nice job, Jeff. I'm sure the recipients will be very pleased. I vote for the end grain board, and I think the dark spots in the maple look fine. I'm jealous of your planer, too, since I've used a belt sander and ROS enough times to flatten end grain cutting boards to know how hard and time-consuming it can be. A planer is one of my wishlist items for sure.

Dan, to answer your question...flattening with a sander and working through the various sandpaper grits to get the scratches out can be a fair amount of work on end grain, but it can be worth it in the end. An end grain cutting board is much more usable for actual cutting than a face or edge grain board. Face grain is often more attractive, but it's not as durable as end grain. There are examples of both kinds on the website in my profile. ;)

- Vaughn

Jim Knauss
10-18-2005, 5:07 AM
Jeff,
Great idea for gifts and a great job on the boards! What kind of oil did you put on them? I made one 20 years ago and just used cooking oil, is that still acceptable?

Jim Knauss

John Hart
10-18-2005, 6:14 AM
I'm with Vaughn Jeff...The end grain looks great! All three are very nice but I like the end grain piece the goodest!;) Is this the type of thing you're doing for Christmas this year? Very Cool...and Free is great!!:)

John Miliunas
10-18-2005, 8:02 AM
I agree with Vaughn and John; All three are nice, but my favorite is the end grain one! I've done a whole lot of breadboards but, never and endgrain one. You've inspired me to use up some of my cut-offs!:) Nice job, bud!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-18-2005, 8:22 AM
Thanks again everyone!

Vaughn, I just have the $200 el cheapo craftsman planer. If you would like one for small chores, this one would fill the bill nicely. If you keep your eyes out you can find it for $150. I do all of my planning work on it and it has done a good job. I have to agree that the end grain should hold up better. I have a couple of older edge grain boards and while the work wonderfully, they don't look as nice as they used to... pretty cut up!

John H, I am making up about 6 or 7 cutting boards for Christmas this year, plus LOML wants one!! :)

John M, sorry to add to your task list!! I know you are busy!! :) Actually I was going to call you and see if I could buy some scrap off of you, if you were interested in purging any. I am a little low on small peices after these projects :)

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Jeff beautiful job. I love the end grain one. My lovely wife would take either one. Great place to use some of my cutoff's.

Mark Singer
10-18-2005, 1:29 PM
Nice!!! Good work Jeff!

Christopher Stahl
10-18-2005, 1:43 PM
Great work! I really like the endgrain also, it has some character and depth.

chris

Dan Racette
10-18-2005, 4:01 PM
Cool use of the "free" wood! cutting boards are great gifts too, so you can get your "holiday shopping" done early!

Scott Donley
10-18-2005, 4:19 PM
Jeff, really nice, love the end grain board. I also need to make some Christmas gifts but this would be out of the question for my mom, she is still using the one I made for her in shop class 40 years ago!:) But than again, maybe it"s about time for a really nice one like yours :) Thanks for the pics and ideas.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-19-2005, 7:42 AM
Jeff, really nice, love the end grain board. I also need to make some Christmas gifts but this would be out of the question for my mom, she is still using the one I made for her in shop class 40 years ago!:) But than again, maybe it"s about time for a really nice one like yours :) Thanks for the pics and ideas.

Scott, I hear ya there!! My cousins are still using one I made like 10 years ago in shop class!! That thing is 2 inches thick. I do need to resurface it for them though! If your mom's is thick, you could resurface it and keep it going for another 40 years :)