PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out what is going on with this tag.

Jacob Hebert
03-23-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm trying to figure out if this is a belt or bearing, or something else that needs to be replaced, or the laser itself. Any ideas? :confused:

Tony Lenkic
03-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Do you have set of bearings on hand? I would try them first since they are easy to replace.
Belt is a possibly due to replacement. How old is the system?

Jacob Hebert
03-23-2017, 12:23 PM
System is from 2003. So it's quite ancient. :D

I think I might have a fresh set of bearings on hand. Technically, it's our company's laser engraver, so I'll ask my boss if he minds me doing a bit of "routine maintenance". Hoping it's the bearings and not something worse.

Brian Lamb
03-23-2017, 1:18 PM
Check for a loose lens or mirror first. Then bearings.... but also check the graphic file. I was doing some similar engraving and I had problems with the jagged edges and by re-doing the file and loading it again, the problem went away. This was on my ULS X-600 so similar machine. I have the thread on here somewhere showing pictures.... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?247250-Odd-results-engraving-anodized-aluminum

Kev Williams
03-23-2017, 1:31 PM
I don't think that machine has servo motors, but IF so, encoder strips may need cleaning--

Could be bearings, but my old 1997 ULS (now my BIL's machine) has been on the same bearings since we got it in 2002, it runs every day and they're still fine.

How's the bearing track? Need to keep it cleaned-

Belt teeth? Belt tightness?

Check to make sure the Y axis drive rods & cogs are all tight, as well as the X belt drive cogs, etc...