PDA

View Full Version : router help

mark downing
03-23-2017, 12:31 AM
I have to route some trout images into the sides of an exterior project. The fish will be rather small, about 4" x 2 1/2". Can anyone suggest a source for a router template or suggest a "simple" way of achieving such a cutout? Advice appreciated.

Doug Garson
03-23-2017, 12:43 AM
Google trout images, pick one you like and print it out scaled to the size you need. Cut out the outline and stick it to some 1/8" or 1/4" MDF or plywood cut it out with a jigsaw or scroll saw and your done.

Paul K. Johnson
03-23-2017, 1:17 AM
Search for line art which is more suited to this kind of thing. Also a moto tool with a router base would be easier to handle for something that small. If you don't have a dremel or the router base for it then next best would be a palm router.

If you have a dremel and don't have a base then it's easy to make one. Several youtube videos show how people made their.

Carbide bits from McMaster-Carr (other sources as well) are far better than bits offered by Dremel.

Paul K. Johnson
03-23-2017, 1:20 AM
I forgot. If you make your template out of something thin and hard then you can achieve very clean lines by scoring with a razor knife before routing.

This is something I did several years ago. I was routing in balsa with is way harder to cut cleanly with a router but it's the same idea.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/construction/decorative_inlays/

Adam Merritt
03-23-2017, 8:34 AM
Wow, that looks great! I hope to aspire to this type of work in my future. :)