PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Mk II micro bevel issue

Phillip Mitchell
03-22-2017, 11:22 PM
I recently bought a used Veritas Mk II honing guide from a fellow forum member and started using it tonight for the first time. All went well until I went to hone a micro bevel on my block plane iron. I ground at 25* in the 12 o'clock position, then switched to 6 o'clock and noticed that it was shallower (taking metal off the top of the bevel.) After reading and re-reading the manual, I tried all the micro bevel settings and observed the angle as it changed from a side view. It appears to me that the 12 o'clock position is the steepest angle, which is opposite from what I'm understanding it should be.

I see there is a small set screw close to the micro bevel adjuster knob that perhaps allows you to take that knob off for whatever reason. Could it be that someone loosened this set screw at some point and (accidentally?) changed the original orientation of the 12 o'clock position. To my eyes, it appears that my 6 o'clock should be 12 o'clock....

Needless to say, after re-grinding my block plane iron to what I thought was 25* along the entire bevel, I was quite disappointed to see that I could not achieve a steeper micro bevel with the same angle setting without resetting the iron at a new angle and decided to stop for the evening (11 pm) before I got frustrated further.

I'm just posting to determine if anyone else has had this problem and if my thinking appears to be going in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Phil Mueller
03-23-2017, 12:48 AM
I suppose that's possible, but easy to find out. The brass knob set screw should seat onto a flat on the shaft. If you loosen the set screw and pull the knob out, the flat should correspond with the set screw. If not, (the shaft is round where the set screw is) the knob needs to be rotated so the set screw aligns with the flat.

Here's how it should be aligned:

Frederick Skelly
03-23-2017, 6:35 AM
What you are suggesting doesnt sound unreasonable - I'd sure try it. And if no one here has a solution, I'd call Lee Valley. Seriously. Tell them you bought it used and just ask their advice.

Let us know where you get to on this. If you dont have it solved today, I can go look at my Mk-II tonight and see if it gives me another idea to help you.

Good luck.
Fred

Derek Cohen
03-23-2017, 6:43 AM
Needless to say, after re-grinding my block plane iron to what I thought was 25* along the entire bevel, I was quite disappointed to see that I could not achieve a steeper micro bevel with the same angle setting without resetting the iron at a new angle

The simplest solution is to hone with the line at the 6 o'clock and use the markers in reverse.

I suspect that the wheels have been removed at some point and the dial/knob returned incorrectly. A give away will be that the 1 degree microbevel is at the 9 o'clock mark.

Why not ask the person from whom you purchased it?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Frederick Skelly
03-23-2017, 6:50 AM
The simplest solution is to hone with the line at the 6 o'clock and use the markers in reverse.

Was my thought too, but I'm assuming he asked because he doesnt want to do that for one reason or another. Your idea about the reversed wheel makes sense. I havent taken mine apart, so I dont how how easy it is to put it back incorrectly.

Phil Mueller
03-23-2017, 7:30 AM
Here's the manual on how to replace the roller assembly to give you an idea of how it should look/go together:

356750 356751 356752 356753