PDA

View Full Version : Makita Trim Router

John Lankers
03-22-2017, 2:44 PM
I need to replace my trusty Bosch Colt and have my eyes on a Makita trim router. I use the trimmer mainly to cut hinge mortises, trim edgebanding and for light duty profiling and chamfering, no heavy loads.
The 3709 has a clear see through base, single speed (30,000 RPM :eek:), template guide bearing, edge guide and features a 4 Amp motor.
The RT0701C has a non see through base, variable speed, edge guide (no template guide bearing, a 6.5 Amp motor and costs $30 cdn. more than the 3709.
Which one would be the better tool?

John TenEyck
03-22-2017, 2:58 PM
Look at the Grizzly trim router package for around $74. It's the same as the RT0701C, right down to the smallest detail. It includes the fixed base, a plunge base with dust pickup, and an edge guide for half the price of the RT0701CX7 kit from Makita. Unless you just gotta have blue, you can get the same thing for half price from Grizzly. I bought the Grizzly package on sale for $59 and it's a very nice (Makita) little router. I bought a couple of Makita accessories for it and they fit perfectly. I later learned that some of those same accessories are sold by ShopFox for less than half what I spent for the Makita.

John

andy bessette
03-22-2017, 4:25 PM
I'd stick with Bosch.

John Lankers
03-22-2017, 4:36 PM
Thanks John, looks like that little Grizz combines the best features of both of the Makitas.
The only drawback is it will cost me $130.82 cdn. plus $38.69 UPS and $6.54 taxes (they're taking it from the living). Still not a bad deal IMO considering the goodies that are included.

John Lankers
03-22-2017, 4:42 PM
Yeah Andy I would, but I hate the depth adjustment and its starting to creep on my Colt, that is a big NO NO. I will still keep it around for work where depth accuracy down to 1 or 2/000 isn't crucial.

Van Huskey
03-22-2017, 7:01 PM
Which one would be the better tool?

The Dewalt 611. But seriously, the Ma... no the Dewalt 611.

For many years the Colt was the go-to compact router (really a step above a true trim router in size and power) but just lacked a plunge base to make it a complete tool. Then Dewalt and shortly after Makita come out with their compact routers with plunge bases. I wanted to prefer the Makita and bought it, but the 611 continued to grow in favor and I decided to give in and buy one. I was sold and if you poll the various forums I think you will find the 611 has now become the compact router of choice. Don't get me wrong the Makita and Bosch (now with plunge base available) are great tools but Dewalt just thought the design, ergonomics and feature set out better and it it wasn't for my Festool 1010 it would likely be my most used router because with a plunge base a compact router with 1.25hp just does so many things I traditionally would have grabbed one of my mid-sized routers for.

pat warner
03-22-2017, 7:40 PM
Best up/down trimmer adjuster: R2401 Ridgid, if that is critical.

Edwin Santos
03-22-2017, 7:42 PM
I have owned the Colt since they first came out. However I agree that the DeWalt guys improved it with the clear base and the LED light. To me, with a compact router like this, integrated lighting and enhanced visibility is a big plus. I'm not seeing where the Makita compact router has these features, at least with regard to the light.

The question I have is what happened to the updated Bosch Colt Model GDK125CEK that was announced in November 2015? Press releases came out that touted the (now integrated) lighting and a new and improved depth adjustment system and then everything went quiet.

Mike Henderson
03-22-2017, 7:50 PM
Get the DeWalt 611. I have three of them and sold my Bosch Colt.

Mike

Van Huskey
03-22-2017, 7:55 PM
The question I have is what happened to the updated Bosch Colt Model GDK125CEK that was announced in November 2015? Press releases came out that touted the (now integrated) lighting and a new and improved depth adjustment system and then everything went quiet.

I think it is GFK vs GDK and that is a 64,000 dollar question. They seemed to be directly incorporating what makes the Dewalt stand out and fixing the depth adjust which is the current Colt's Achilles heel. I remember thinking if they come out with a plunge base I will have to pick one up now a year and a half later and just vaporware.

Rick Fisher
03-22-2017, 10:07 PM
I have a Makita RT0701C and consider it ... meh.. its okay. The base is a bit small, the lock that holds the bit depth is really primitive but it works. Lots of power, but overall, just a trim router

I have a 1/4" Round over bit in it and probably will have until the bit is dull ..

My other Trim Router is the Festool.. Not a fair comparison, I assume DeWalt or Bosch did a better job than the makita..

Curt Harms
03-23-2017, 7:12 PM
Look at the Grizzly trim router package for around $74. It's the same as the RT0701C, right down to the smallest detail. It includes the fixed base, a plunge base with dust pickup, and an edge guide for half the price of the RT0701CX7 kit from Makita. Unless you just gotta have blue, you can get the same thing for half price from Grizzly. I bought the Grizzly package on sale for $59 and it's a very nice (Makita) little router. I bought a couple of Makita accessories for it and they fit perfectly. I later learned that some of those same accessories are sold by ShopFox for less than half what I spent for the Makita.

John

I have a Bosch Colt and was considering a plunge base for it. The cheapest I've seen the plunge base is $74.99 at Amazon. Then along comes Grizzly with a motor and both bases for nearly the same $$. Now I'm hearing the quality is quite good on the Grizzly. Sigh.

Dave Lehnert
03-23-2017, 7:24 PM
Anyone have a link or model number for the Grizzly trim router package?
I did a search on Grizzly.com and did not come up.

I have the DeWalt DWP611K I don't use it a bunch, but it works well and seems well made.

andy bessette
03-23-2017, 7:33 PM
You should at least read the reviews first.
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7791-Router-Impact-Plastic/product-reviews/B000E327J0

Van Huskey
03-23-2017, 7:34 PM
Anyone have a link or model number for the Grizzly trim router package?
I did a search on Grizzly.com and did not come up.

I have the DeWalt DWP611K I don't use it a bunch, but it works well and seems well made.

I think this is the one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Laminate-Trim-Router-with-Plunge-Base/T27139

I would note the Grizzly and Bosch are 1hp and the Makita and Dewalt are 1.25hp and IME the extra 1/4hp is useful if you plan to use it as a compact router, as simply a trimmer it makes no difference.

Van Huskey
03-23-2017, 7:37 PM
You should at least read the reviews first.
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7791-Router-Impact-Plastic/product-reviews/B000E327J0

That is a different router, it should be noted we are really talking about "compact routers" not "trim routers", there is overlap but they really are separate categories.

andy bessette
03-23-2017, 8:00 PM
Keeps turning up the same review.
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7791-Router-Impact-Plastic/dp/B000E327J0

Van Huskey
03-23-2017, 8:02 PM
Sorry, this should be it. Same rating.
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7791-Router-Impact-Plastic/dp/B000E327J0

Still not the right one, and the right one is apparently not on eBay.

John Lankers
03-23-2017, 10:10 PM
Update
I ordered the Grizzly, probably more out of curiosity than out of confidence, we'll see how it turns out. In this category you get what you pay for. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Laminate-Trim-Router-with-Plunge-Base/T27139
MLCS also offers a Makita clone, the Rocky 30, and lots of accessories.

Van Huskey
03-23-2017, 10:39 PM
MLCS also offers a Makita clone, the Rocky 30, and lots of accessories.

The Rocky 30 is 1hp like the Grizzly so they really aren't a true clone of the Makita which is 1.25hp but they all share the same physical shape/size and AFAIK the accessories are mostly interchangeable.

William Adams
03-24-2017, 8:04 AM
But the Makita is 700 watts (as are the others), which is more in line w/ 1HP --- I believe the 1.25HP rating is the typical consumer gear peak rating, and not really useful save when comparing to other consumer gear similarly rated, while the 1HP rating is the more honest/accurate one, and that the contract for these knock-offs requires it.

There doesn't seem to be any difference spec. wise otherwise, and as I've noted in other threads, the MLCS Rocky 30 manual PDF actually shows a teal unit (presumably a Makita).

Todd Davidson
03-24-2017, 8:06 AM
The Rocky 30 is 1hp like the Grizzly so they really aren't a true clone of the Makita which is 1.25hp but they all share the same physical shape/size and AFAIK the accessories are mostly interchangeable.

Both the Makita & MLCS Rocky are 6.5 amps....

John - Here's my quick initial impression of the MLCS Rocky & Makita:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?252099-Makita-amp-Rocky-(MLCS)-Compact-Trim-Routers&highlight=

John Lankers
03-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Both the Makita & MLCS Rocky are 6.5 amps....

John - Here's my quick initial impression of the MLCS Rocky & Makita:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?252099-Makita-amp-Rocky-(MLCS)-Compact-Trim-Routers&highlight=

Thanks for the link, Todd.
The Rocky, Grizzly and Makita are all 6.5 Amps, my Colt is 5.6 Amps and the Dewalt 611 is 7 Amps.

Al Launier
03-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Whichever you decide on, the see-thru base is a very important feature.

glenn bradley
03-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Yeah Andy I would, but I hate the depth adjustment and its starting to creep on my Colt, that is a big NO NO. I will still keep it around for work where depth accuracy down to 1 or 2/000 isn't crucial.

I liked my Colt back when it was the only game in town for that format and power. When I added the plunge base it became an indispensable tool. The plunge base takes care of the poor fixed base height adjustment design. It also makes it quite bulky though so there's that.

John Lankers
04-16-2017, 5:17 PM
Well, I bought the Grizzly T27139 as suggested by John TenEyck (Thank you John for your advice). It did cost me nearly $180 cdn. incl. s/h and taxes which is more than twice the price in the US :( but still a deal.
However, after I have used the little Grizzly palm router for about 1 1/2 weeks I must say I am very impressed with the features and it's performance, the plunge base was a bit stiff and jerky at first but exercising it and some lubrication made it much smoother.
The depth control on the fixed base is a vast improvement over the Bosch Colt but not as advanced as on the Dewalt 611, no big deal for me I use set up blocks and shims anyways to get it dialed in just right.
The soft start is a nice feature I wouldn't want to miss on any router and the variable speed is just what my Colt was lacking (I know it is available nowadays). The Grizzly pattern guide bearing fits the Bosch Colt perfectly and the edge guide from my Dewalt 618 fits on the Grizzly palm router - what else could you ask for. The standard Grizzly base plate does not accept PC style guide bearings but it took me less than 1/2 hour to make an elongated base plate to my liking from plexiglass with the proper size opening.
Dust collection is decent and the open on one side fixed base allows for a good view with or without the dust shroud attached, the plunge base allows for full view from both sides which is really nice.
Also the Grizzly seems to be less of a screamer and is more pleasant on the ears - yes, I do wear hearing protection.

In a nutshell: I love it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I was sent the Grizzly catalog which is as bad..s as the Felder "bible" :D