PDA

View Full Version : My first show

Jim Ketron
10-17-2005, 6:35 PM
I think it was Ok for my first show! didn't sell as many bowls as I would have liked, but the confetti lamps and the wands made up most of my sales.
Sold the Eruption platter, 3 bowls (Apple, Cedar, Osage Orange) the confetti bowl (wish I had 20 of them, the Lady that purchased it let me keep it for both days, to display and take orders for them. 16 confetti lamps, 21 wands, and 2 pens.
Wish I had a $ for everytime someone picked up or touched the Baby bowl. http://thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Got some very nice complements on my work and the finish on them. I only had one natural edge bark one, and it was my card holder, it was still green so I would not sell it but a bunch of people wanted to buy it. I told them to keep an eye out on my web-site as I will be making some soon.
Learned a lot on this first show, on how to display my work and what sales at a show like this one. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one!
For the next one I will be making a few changes to my set up!
No rocks in a bucket for ballast http://thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif need to get some more cloth to cover up the inside of my booth tables. maybe some shelves also. <STYLE type=text/css><!--td.attachrow { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; }td.attachheader { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; background-color: #D1D7DC; }table.attachtable { font: normal 12px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; border-collapse : collapse; }--></STYLE>
http://thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/files/firstshow5.jpg

http://thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/files/firstshow4.jpg

http://thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/files/firstshow3.jpg
http://thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/files/firstshow1.jpg

Chris Barton
10-17-2005, 6:47 PM
Great pictures of your booth and thanks for the report on the show. I am glad that you had some success. What would you do differently next time?

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-17-2005, 6:49 PM
Congrats Jim.

I found out that having a Tiered setup helped show my work better and helped sales. The great thing is that it is 2'x4'x3"thick when taken down and only weights about 2 lbs, but, when open, there are four different levels, each 6" higher that the lower one.

I have to show it to a local artist who wants to use it. When I do that, I will take some pictures, in case anyone is interested.

Might be interested in making them for others, if the price is right.

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
10-17-2005, 6:56 PM
Jim,

Congrats on your first show success. It looks like beautiful work. I would like to offer a suggestion, from a signmaker's point of view. That banner I assume was inexpensive since you can see the Bud ad on the other side with the sun
behind it. If you have a banner made up on heavier, more opaque vinyl, that will wrap around the canopy, you will have your name visible from the sides as well as the front. Also, with the white canopy, consider light colored lettering on a dark banner to make it stand out. Then try to find a way to display some of the bowls up high so people are attracted from farther away and don't miss it if people are standing in front. I know in some of the smaller shows this kind of thing dosn't matter as much, but when there are a lot of people and vendors it could make a big difference.

Travis Stinson
10-17-2005, 7:00 PM
Nice looking setup Jim. Plenty of room for the crowds to swarm over your things. Very good 1st showing. Who's the scary, shadowy looking dude?:D ;)

Michael Stafford
10-17-2005, 7:47 PM
Great Jimbo! Sounds like you had a great show. You must be very pleased overall. Nice looking setup and spread. Congratulations!:D

Travis Stinson
10-17-2005, 8:20 PM
Congrats Jim.

I found out that having a Tiered setup helped show my work better and helped sales. The great thing is that it is 2'x4'x3"thick when taken down and only weights about 2 lbs, but, when open, there are four different levels, each 6" higher that the lower one.

I have to show it to a local artist who wants to use it. When I do that, I will take some pictures, in case anyone is interested.

Might be interested in making them for others, if the price is right.

Bruce
I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your tiered setup Bruce.

Ernie Nyvall
10-17-2005, 8:27 PM
Congratulations on your first show Jim. Your booth looks good.

I have to admit, the Bud sign thing was funny, and sounds like Joe has some good ideas.

If you don't mind, what is it you think you will do different? It might be a good idea to hash it out with some of the folks here at Smc.

Thanks for showing.

Ernie

John Shuk
10-17-2005, 8:42 PM
Glad it was a good experience. You put alot of work in and it shows.

John Hart
10-17-2005, 8:46 PM
Very impressive Jim!....just like your work.;) Looks like you had great weather too. Congratulations on your success!!

Jim Ketron
10-17-2005, 9:28 PM
Thanks Guys!
Bruce I would also Like to see your set up.

The banner was a free one, Beggers cant be choosers:D Im satisfied with it, I was going to paint the back side(simple fix) so it wont show through but I didnt have time to do that and try to work on getting my turnings done. Thanks for your input.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-17-2005, 9:34 PM
Jim, glad to hear your first show was a success. I was thinking of doing some shows next year with cutting boards, clocks, etc. Your post reminds me that I need to make a plan!!

Great looking booth!

Keith Burns
10-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Glad you had a sucessful show. As hard as you worked and as good as your work is, you deserved it. I'm sure your fame will grow with each show you do and your sales will improve with each one.

Dick Parr
10-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Great job Jim, it looks like you had a good time. I bet you will continue to get better with each show you attend. Great looking setup and a nice selection of items.

Nice job again Jim.;)

Karl Laustrup
10-18-2005, 7:04 AM
Over all I'd say you had a great first showing Jim. The input from others has been sound, as to what can be done to improve the selling atmosphere.

By the pix, it appears the day started off foggy, but turned into a very nice sunny day.:D

The craft fair I attended a couple of weeks ago had two or three booths with turnings. I didn't bother checking prices as I didn't feel the quality was as good as what I've seen you and others on SMC produce. Hang in there, as I'm a firm believer that quality prevails in the long run.:)

Karl

Harry Pye
10-18-2005, 9:36 AM
Jim said: "I only had one natural edge bark one, and it was my card holder, it was still green so I would not sell it but a bunch of people wanted to buy it. I told them to keep an eye out on my web-site as I will be making some soon."

Jim, there is a guy in our club who does about ten shows a year. He once said this about natural edge bowls. "I never bring one home. They really sell well."

I wonder if others have had the same experience?

Glenn Hodges
10-18-2005, 9:43 AM
Jim, I use 4--4 in. pvc pipes about 24 in. long filled with concrete, and they have an eye bolt through the center with a cap on each end. The eye allows me to attach a nylon rope to each corner of my display tent. These things are heavy, but if you are ever in a squall that is just what you want. I like the use of dark cloth, and I would add something like a tier system to get the bowls on different levels as others have suggested. I did exhibits for 30 years, and I always liked to have customers come inside my booth so I could be up close and personal like shaking hands with them. The first time I did an arts and crafts show was a learning experience for me. Good luck in the future.

Jack Hogoboom
10-18-2005, 5:54 PM
Jim,

I like those confetti bowl too. How about PMing me so I can buy one too??

I see the wands in your picture, but I don't remember you ever posting about them. They look kind of neat. Any chance we can see and hear more about them??

Jack

Jim Ketron
10-18-2005, 6:41 PM
Jack I sold most of them so only a few are left. I will get a pic of them up in the next day or so.
They were simple to make! I used a dowel cut it in 12" lenths, used a pen blank for the handle cut to 4 1/2" long drilled a 1" deep hole in the center, the size of the dowel. Glued it with CA. inserted it through the head stock and held the dowel with my Talon spigot jaws. I would leave about 3/8" of the dowel out from the chuck and held the back of the pen blank with the tail stock. And turn it to any shape you like. I used colored markers on some to decorate, sprayed them with deft to seal the color on if you dont it will come off on your hands. I also stained a few of the dowel ends after they were turned and painted some black and lightly sanded to make them look old.

Anthony Yakonick
10-19-2005, 4:39 PM
Nice job! You'll learn a good deal more as you do more shows.