PDA

View Full Version : A little cherry shelf unit

Jay Aubuchon
03-21-2017, 10:32 PM
I recently completed this little shelf unit for my wife to use at craft sales. It will sit on top of her table.

The back pieces are tongue and grooved together and into top and bottom rails. The middle inch or so of each vertical piece is glued to the rails.

The finish is satin wipe-on poly. This is the first time I have used this, and I found it relatively easy to work with. But, then, my finishing skills are such that I have to work hard just to reach the point at which I can say, "well that's not completely horrible."

Mel Fulks
03-21-2017, 10:48 PM
I like the color and grain contrast. The random width board back without sap edges is a nice touch also.

William Fretwell
03-23-2017, 8:07 AM
Your wife will be happy to have such a classy display shelf, great colour. I suspect it won't her last request!

Frederick Skelly
03-23-2017, 9:03 PM
That's very nice Jay. You've managed to keep it simple, while still adding enough curves to make it a very attractive piece. And cherry is such a great choice for this. I also liked the T&G back with the boards at different widths. That piece is too nice for a craft show where it'll get bumped and jostled.

Fred

Joe A Faulkner
03-30-2017, 12:51 PM
I like it. Well done. I'm thinking about borrowing your design and incorporating your rail profile into the bottom of each side and maybe even into the top of the back rail. I'm a big fan of the shiplap or in your case T&G treatment for the back.

Jerry Olexa
03-30-2017, 1:50 PM
Nice job JaY!!! Well done..I spent 4 good years in your neighborhood..Home of Nittany Lions!!!

George Bokros
03-30-2017, 1:55 PM
Very nice. Love the color.