PDA

View Full Version : cleaning fireplace soot

Peter Pedisich
10-17-2005, 5:44 PM
Hi,

Anybody know of a good way to remove soot off of a granite fireplace surround? Preferably a natural non-caustic method if there is one!

Thanks,

Pete

Tyler Howell
10-17-2005, 6:05 PM
Try some TSP and a brush. Don't forget the elbo grease.

Wes Bischel
10-17-2005, 7:45 PM
WHAT! Are you kidding! What are you doing posting such a thought in a public forum where LOML might see it. I keep referring to it as patina.:D

To answer your question, I haven't tried to clean it for fear of making more of a mess. Then again, if I had a new mantle piece, I would consider cleaning it.

Wes

Lee DeRaud
10-17-2005, 8:44 PM
Repeat after me:
"I will not forget to open the damper."

DAMHIKT.

Peter Pedisich
10-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys!

Tyler: TSP, is that an acid? If I get it on the new furniture I might as well move to Canada:eek:

Lee: LOML insists I tell you we bought the house like that, she is very embarassed!:o

Wes: LOL!!:D I show people the new mantle and they say "oh, you should clean that soot"

bill kiss
10-18-2005, 12:07 AM
I have used this product with great success go to www.prosoco.com (http://www.prosoco.com) click on interior cleaners and scroll to fireplace cleaner ---works great!

Rob Russell
10-18-2005, 8:19 AM
I would call the local stone place and ask them what to use product to use. TSP could mar the finish on the granite - which could be expensive to replace. I don't know that it would - but I'd ask before just using it or any other product on an expensive surface like granite.

John Shuk
10-18-2005, 3:51 PM
I'd try Simple Green. It can't hurt. I'd mix it with a fair bit of water and give it a shot.