PDA

View Full Version : Glass cabinet door question

Kurt Loup
10-17-2005, 4:48 PM
I plan to build a display cabinet with a glass door, but I have a question regarding the door's construction. I'd like to know what the recommended rail and stile dimensions are for a glass door that will be approximately 24" wide by 6.5' tall. I suspect this will be relatively heavy. Can I use a single pane of glass, or should a door this size be multi paned? I haven't checked on cost, but I suspect I may have to go the multi pane route due to cost. What thickness of glass should I purchase and should it be tempered? Thanks for any information.

Kurt

Mike Cutler
10-17-2005, 8:39 PM
Kurt.
You are right. that door will be heavy.
I personally would make it multiple panes, only to create a unique front fo the case.
This doesn't mean that it can't be a single pane. If you check out the thread on the "Balboa House Doors", these are much larger than the dimension that you are contemplating.
No matter what though, when using glass, the wood has to be very straight grained to start with and joined and planed to absolutely flat, and stable.
Rails and stiles will need to be physically( mechanically) connected. The rails will need to be mortised into the stiles to carry the weight, you don't want to rely on adhesives alone for joint integerity. Traditional M&T or floating tenon will work fine.
Since you are referring to cabinet doors, I'll assume that the material is 3/4" thick. I would use a 1/4" thick piece of tempered glass. The glass would rest(float) in a rabbeted ledge with a removable frame on the blind side, so that the glass could be removed at a later time if required.
These are the basics that I could think of without being specific.

Jim Hager
10-17-2005, 8:56 PM
Kurt, I routinely build gun cabinet doors using glass that measures 22 x 50 with standard style and rail construction using 2 3/8" styles and bottom rails and the top rail is usually 4 3/8 to allow for the shape of the arch.

http://hagerwoodworks.com/cherrygclg.jpg

I construct the door then rout out the lip on the backside of the door where a standard panel would normally fit. Trim out the corners with a chisel and cut glass (double strength) to size and shape. I then will lay a very thin bed of silicone caulk into the rabbet, set the glass then put a good slick bead on the backside to "glue" the glass and wood together to form a solid unit. I have never had one to fail yet, that I know of. Knock on wood.:cool:

You could use tempered glass but the cost is very prohibitive. Sorta depends on where your piece is going. I usually do not use tempered in home environments but always use tempered in public environments. No tellin what your piece is going to be exposed to in the public.

http://hagerwoodworks.com/halltrophylg.jpg

http://hagerwoodworks.com/kitchencabinet4.jpg

Kurt Loup
10-18-2005, 9:13 AM
Guys, thanks for the replies. Jim, your top cabinet is very similar to what I want to build. Essentially, the only difference is the height of the door. Do you have felt in the back of the cabinet? If so, what did you use to adhere the felt to the substrate? I was thinking of using 3M spray adhesive.

Kurt

Jim Hager
10-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Guys, thanks for the replies. Jim, your top cabinet is very similar to what I want to build. Essentially, the only difference is the height of the door. Do you have felt in the back of the cabinet? If so, what did you use to adhere the felt to the substrate? I was thinking of using 3M spray adhesive.

Kurt

Yes that is felt on the inside of the cabinet put on with spray adhesive over 1/4 luan plywood.

I use just about any kind of spray adhesive that I can get my hands on. I have some pretty cheap stuff that I bought at an auction for around a dollar a can. Works great. I used to go to the auto parts store and get panel and trim adhesive from 3-M. It is some really great stuff!!