PDA

View Full Version : Lasering over size items

Bill Rushton
03-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Not sure if this is even possible but thought I'd ask. I make laminated wooden fly fishing nets and use an Epilog laser to engrave my logo etc. On the handle. I have one net that is too large to fit in the machine and have been inlaying a 1 1/2" plug into the handle. This takes up more time than it should and would like to engrave directly into the handle. My bed size is 20" x 24" and the net has a handle length of 40" and a 24" x 36" hoop. I was wondering if I could cut a rectangular hole in each end of the machine, which would enable sliding the net in from the end closer to the front of the machine enabling me to laser direct instead of using the plug method? Have any of you ever done anything like this to allow odd size engraving? Thanks.

Tim Bateson
03-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Which machine do you have & how old is it? Most Epilogs can go in the front, but side to side will never work due to the working components that reside in each side.

Bill Rushton
03-21-2017, 11:17 AM
It is a Legend 24EX, and I believe it's about 8 years old. The hole size would be minimal, probably 1 1/4" x 2" on the right side of the machine (facing it) and probably 1 1/4" x maybe 10" on the left (maybe a bit longer).

Kev Williams
03-21-2017, 12:17 PM
If it doesn't interfere with the gantry or any wiring, go for it. I've cut more than one hole in my lasers ;)

Keith Downing
03-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Honestly, I'd call Epilog and get their take. Lots of lasers have pass-throughs. If yours doesn't, there might be a reason. Either way, they'll give you a straight answer.

If they say it's safe, then the only real downside I see would be the resale value of your machine will probably plummet if you ever decided to try to sell it to upgrade.

Bill Rushton
03-21-2017, 1:41 PM
I gave Epilog a call and they were hesitant, I believe for liability reasons. This is the day and age where everybody wants to sue someone for their own actions after all.

Gary Hair
03-21-2017, 2:27 PM
On an 8 year old machine I would likely go for it! As long as the Y motion isn't impeded and you don't inadvertently drill through a motherboard or wiring, I can't really see the harm, although I have the tools and the ability to do it safely and I would only recommend you do it if you have the same. Epilog is definitely going to cover their backside, can't really blame them.

Kev Williams
03-21-2017, 2:28 PM
Can your hole go in the front? The front door of my LS900 has been sitting by the water heater since the warrantee ran out.
This is what it would look like door on--

Not mine :)

Door off meant I had to workaround the door switch, but ever since I've been able to put 24" x ANY length items on the table, and (with some patience during the second setup) I can engrave a full 24 x 48" area.
It also allows me to to goofy stuff like saddles--

The Triumph has a catch drawer in the bottom, beneath it was the main housing. There's a lip for the drawer to ride on, so the bottom of the machine wasn't needed.
20 minutes later with my trusty $8 HF airsaw and now I can engrave items 18" x 13" x up to 38" tall...

--as long as the warrantee is gone, I'll do whatever it takes to get the job done (read: make money) :D

Tim Bateson
03-21-2017, 2:53 PM
On my Fusion M2 I built keys to bypass the front door lockouts. On older models it may be as simple as using magnets.

John Kleiber
03-21-2017, 3:17 PM
I have had to cut holes as needed over time for pass through.
The cleanest method is using a Dremel Clean Cut Thin Blade.
Follow up with a little plastic edging to frame in the square.

-John

Joe Pelonio
03-21-2017, 7:59 PM
My Epilog Legend 24tt has openings opposite each other on each end. By simply removing the end covers, on can engrave anything up to about 6" square, such as a 4x4, baseball bat, or handle any length. Try taking an end of your cabinet off and see if you have that too, or look from the inside. It may be different, mine is smaller and a 2005. It's below that belt in the corner. I paused a job to get the pic, and can't lower the table for a better shot.

Bill Rushton
03-21-2017, 8:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will do up a cardboard template and see where it will lie and how much of a hole I'll have to cut on the left side of the machine. The right side hole will be small enough not to be an issue. I will advise on the outcome.