PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a used Laguna 16 Bandsaw

Richard Mellor
03-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Hi, I saw this saw come up on our local CL and was wondering if its a good price or not. My concern is that it has been used in a commercial shop and might need work on it.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls/6042168371.html

Thanks, Richard

Chris Hachet
03-20-2017, 12:27 PM
It seems rather reasonable to me. Keep in mind properly maintained this thing could run for another 60 years without much trouble...

Mike Wilkins
03-20-2017, 2:07 PM
For that price for that much machine, you should jump quickly before someone else does. I have the 18" Laguna and not a single problem with it. You can get ceramic replacement guides for it with no problem from Laguna, and they should have any other parts you may need.

Earl McLain
03-20-2017, 2:18 PM
I'd do that if it were closer than 2,000 miles. If nothing is broken, I wouldn't be too concerned with the commercial use. Guitar builders I know are all very meticulous in what they do--seems to come with the mindset. Nice saw.
earl

Van Huskey
03-20-2017, 2:50 PM
Overpriced. That's is a $600 saw especially since it needs $100 worth of ceramic to fix the guides. Now if it is a saw you want a couple of hundred bucks shouldn't stop you. It is similar in build quality to the early 2000s Minimax S45, so it isn't near as heavy as the ACM built Laguna HD saws. Nice saw, should have a 1 3/4 hp motor. If it runs correctly it isn't too badly priced just be aware of the cost to fix the guides, you may want to verify the exact cost with Laguna.

Van Huskey
03-20-2017, 2:53 PM
You can get ceramic replacement guides for it with no problem from Laguna, and they should have any other parts you may need.
The guides won't be an issue, though I am not so sure parts availability will be good, they haven't used Meber to build their bandsaw in quite a while.

BTW forgot to add in the last post, I didn't see a fence... that's another $100 or so bucks unless you don't need a fence or build one.

Richard Mellor
03-20-2017, 5:43 PM
Thanks for all the input. I spoke with the seller and it doesn't have the fence. It is also about 3 hours from me, so all things considered I think I will hold off.

john lawson
03-20-2017, 8:27 PM
I agree with Van, a little overpriced for it's age, small motor, obvious use and condition. If you offer him $500 he would probably take it and with some sweat equity you should have a good saw, but not the latest model. You might be better off paying twice that and getting something newer with a bigger motor and better condition.