PDA

View Full Version : Coke Cola cans

Bert Kemp
03-19-2017, 11:44 PM
I remember a couple years ago Coke came out with Share a Coke and put peoples names on a label on the bottles. So I thought why not just engrave your name on a can . Well I tried and I can't do it with any decent results. I thought the cans were anodized Aluminum but I guess not. I tried many different speeds and power settings, I even tried that tape that was suppose to leave a black mark. All I ended up doing was burning a hole in the can:eek: LOL yep It did. So does anyone know how these cans are colored if its not anodized?

Keith Downing
03-20-2017, 12:01 AM
I tried to ask the same question in a different sub-forum awhile back. Never really got a straight answer, but the video links might help: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?244056-How-s-a-can-of-coke-quot-printed-quot&highlight=

Kev Williams
03-20-2017, 12:02 AM
In my short search I can't find exactly how Coke prints their cans (think it's just paint) but I did find out Coors has been UV printing their beer cans for 42 years --

Keith Downing
03-20-2017, 12:08 AM
In my short search I can't find exactly how Coke prints their cans (think it's just paint) but I did find out Coors has been UV printing their beer cans for 42 years --

Coke can is ink with a varnish finish, which is then heated to cure. That's probably your culprit in not being able to do anything with the aluminum without destroying it.

Doug Fisher
03-20-2017, 11:23 AM
I was experimenting with this Saturday night. Even the interior of the can has a coating of some type that must first be removed with steel wool or similar.

Bert Kemp
03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Funny I did a search here first but nothing came up.Thanks for the replies. Guess coke cans are out:(

Bert Kemp
03-20-2017, 11:43 AM
I wonder if cermark would work over the color on the cans? Thoughts

Matt McCoy
03-20-2017, 11:59 AM
I was experimenting with this Saturday night. Even the interior of the can has a coating of some type that must first be removed with steel wool or similar.

The inside is varnished as well, to keep the acid in soda from eating through the can.

Doug Fisher
03-20-2017, 12:26 PM
>>I wonder if cermark would work over the color on the cans? Thoughts<<

I have my doubt whether it would even stick to the paint but I have not tested to be able to say. Even if it did stick to the paint, the Cermark's permanence would not be any greater than the paints ability to stick to the aluminum and the paint scratches off pretty easily.

Jerome Stanek
03-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Dose the liquid in the cans absorb the heat

Bert Kemp
03-20-2017, 2:55 PM
I don't think so LOL I burned a hole thru a full can and had coke pissin out all over the place:eek:

Dose the liquid in the cans absorb the heat

Bert Kemp
03-20-2017, 3:07 PM
I can't burn the paint off with the laser wonder why that is??

>>I wonder if cermark would work over the color on the cans? Thoughts<<

I have my doubt whether it would even stick to the paint but I have not tested to be able to say. Even if it did stick to the paint, the Cermark's permanence would not be any greater than the paints ability to stick to the aluminum and the paint scratches off pretty easily.

John Lifer
03-20-2017, 6:18 PM
Well, In playing with my new fiber, I can attest that I found settings that I can use on a Coke can!
Not great, but it does cut thru a bit. 356558356559

David Somers
03-20-2017, 10:23 PM
See Bert!! Now all you need is a 20Watt MOPA fiber and you too can join the lucrative Coke can customization trend that is about to start up! John will have Arkansas and Louisiana tied up, maybe even old Miss and OK????!!! You can have AZ and UT and perhaps the Intermountain area?!!! Billionaires!!!! I see it now!

John! It cut through just a bit? Seems like that might be enough on a full can? Sounds a bit like being a bit pregnant? <grin>

John Lifer
03-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Wow,David, you need to cut back on the soda a bit:D Either too much caffeine or too much sugar!

No, was just cutting on whatever was sitting still and I read this post.. just had to try!