PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor

Ralph Lindberg
03-19-2017, 12:35 PM
We are at the Oregon Symposium, the air compressor they are using for the demonstrators is amazing. What is amazing is we don't hear it! We've been wanting a new one and looks like this might be it.

California Air Tools 100-20C

James B Lee
03-19-2017, 1:04 PM
I bought one of those for my son for Christmas. Amazing how quiet they are.

Tom Wilson66
03-19-2017, 9:19 PM
I have a California compressor and usually can't hear it running most of the time. Really love how quiet it is.

Jeff Walters
03-19-2017, 11:40 PM
I got one earlier this year and love it. My shop is in my basement and my wife complained about the noise of my old one and the dog barking all the time because I'd it. Now...Happy wife and dig too.

Steve Arnold
03-20-2017, 12:47 AM
I've had one of these for about a year now and I find that I don't dread my compressor cycling on anymore, if fact, I don't even notice when it does come on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TDNKBMC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Van Huskey
03-20-2017, 1:35 AM
I have been singing their praises for a coupe of years now. I have a 5510se I got for under $130 shipped using one of the 25% off Zoro coupons they send out fairly often.

Joe Shanaphy
03-20-2017, 2:53 PM
My Bench grinder is louder than mine!

Michael Schneider
03-23-2017, 6:04 AM
I really like the newer quiet compressors. I bought a rolair jc10 a couple of years ago and it has been great. It is made in China and you likely win some/ lose some in Quality. California Air uses the same design and are also made in China (motor and pump look the same for the Rolair and California air, could be made in same factory).

Thomas (made in usa) compressors created the technology and are a very high quality compressor. 3 years ago, I bought the made in China version to try it out, I like it quite a bit. When it bites the dust, I will buy the made in USA Thomas air compressor.

Thomas Links
1- 1/2 hp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000ANEIX/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

2 1 1/4hp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000ANEIL/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

I bought into the design for 2 reasons:

1) very quiet
2) very low amp draw (8 amps). This lets me use the compressor on any circuit, often with a corded tool.

I plug in a small tank to the line when I have to use it with a framing nailer, that makes it easier to get work done. I would not want to frame a house with it, but for repair, or small projects it works great

Steve Peterson
03-23-2017, 10:11 AM
I have one of the smaller CAT models and it is really quiet. I don't jump when it randomly decides to start up. It would work great at a symposium. Also, a quiet shop vac is nice.

Steve

Bob Bouis
03-23-2017, 10:23 AM
The california air tools compressors sound really nice. But I do have to say that there's a huge gulf in terms of noise between cheap 120v compressors (whether oiled or not) and better 120v ones.

I recently got one of the harbor freight 29 gallon 120v compressors (with the belt driven pump, cage and fan) and it's orders of magnitude quieter than the old direct drive compressor I had. I don't know if there are published sound level specs, but you can sit right next to it while it's going full blast without it being unpleasant.

Joe Frank Porter
03-23-2017, 11:14 AM
We are at the Oregon Symposium, the air compressor they are using for the demonstrators is amazing. What is amazing is we don't hear it! We've been wanting a new one and looks like this might be it.

California Air Tools 100-20C The California compressor is the only way to go, especially for a small shop. I just recently bought the 2 gal even though I have a 5 gal Makita, because I just got tired of the noise in my shop. I have never heard an air compressor as quiet as the California, and I have been in the construction business for 30 Years. I use the the California for blowing off dust and etc.

Mike Goetzke
03-23-2017, 11:59 AM
I went to the Amazon link above and lots of comments about how quiet it is but there were at least 3 reviews stating they had thermal events.

Ralph Lindberg
03-23-2017, 1:29 PM
.... California Air uses the same design and are also made in China (motor and pump look the same for the Rolair and California air, could be made in same factory).

I do believe California Air says they are made in Mexico

Michael Schneider
03-23-2017, 2:07 PM
Ralph,

My data was off. I got my info a couple of years ago. I just called them, and they said the qc line pump and motor could be made in china or mexico. It was not set by product, they mix both. Like rolair, all products are tested in the USA before shipped out. At the price point, I would be happy with rolair or california air. When I bought mine, rolair was easier for me to get.

Take care, and thanks for the correction to my bad data. Sorry for not checking the current state of things before posting.

Michael

David Metzman
03-27-2017, 11:58 AM
I was thinking about buying a compressor. What types of tools can be run off of the two gallon size linked to here? Anything needed for bowl turning it will not do? Thanks

Steve Arnold
03-27-2017, 12:04 PM
I was thinking about buying a compressor. What types of tools can be run off of the two gallon size linked to here? Anything needed for bowl turning it will not do? Thanks
You'll need to check the CFM (cubic feet per minute) and the PSI (pounds per square inch) of the compressor you're considering and then compare those numbers to the CFM and PSI requirements of the air tools you would like to use.

Jay Mullins
03-27-2017, 11:30 PM
I'm interested in a quite compressor for my shop, mainly to blow the chips out of hollow forms and vases. I have a larger Craftsman for bigger jobs, but I'm tired of the loud compressor in the shop. Will the 2 gallon tank supply enough air for that?

Jay

Steve Arnold
03-28-2017, 12:32 AM
I'm interested in a quite compressor for my shop, mainly to blow the chips out of hollow forms and vases. I have a larger Craftsman for bigger jobs, but I'm tired of the loud compressor in the shop. Will the 2 gallon tank supply enough air for that?

Jay
Absolutely! That's mainly what I use my two gallon model for.

Pat Scott
03-29-2017, 10:03 AM
I contacted California Air Tools and asked if they had plans to make a larger capacity compressor any time in the future. They responded right away and said that later this year they hope to have a 2hp, 30 gallon compressor. No prices or other details, so I'm going to wait and see. My Sears 30 gallon compressor is pretty loud, and it would be nice to have something that I don't have to wear earplugs when it's running. I need a bigger capacity than ten gallon because I blow out my sprinkler system in addition to shop use.

Van Huskey
03-29-2017, 10:49 AM
I contacted California Air Tools and asked if they had plans to make a larger capacity compressor any time in the future. They responded right away and said that later this year they hope to have a 2hp, 30 gallon compressor. No prices or other details, so I'm going to wait and see. My Sears 30 gallon compressor is pretty loud, and it would be nice to have something that I don't have to wear earplugs when it's running. I need a bigger capacity than ten gallon because I blow out my sprinkler system in addition to shop use.

They actually have a 4hp 17 gallon now, it is about $1350 and 10.3 cfm @ 90. Their 2hp 10 gallon 5.3cfm @90 compressor is only $350 so I would guess the 30 gallon wouldn't be more than $500-600.

Pat Scott
03-29-2017, 11:40 AM
Sorry, I meant to say a 30 gal upright model.

BUT! Man am I impressed with the 4hp model. I hadn't looked at it before. I like the automatic drain feature, and it would certainly have enough oomph to blow out my sprinkler system. I'm just blown away with how quiet the 2hp and 4hp are - I'd be thrilled with either one.

Ralph Lindberg
03-30-2017, 8:14 PM
Looks like the model we are interested in is on sale at Home Depot until the 9th.....

Mike Goetzke
03-30-2017, 9:11 PM
Which model is that? (Need to find a supplier that doesn't charge tax)

Looks like the model we are interested in is on sale at Home Depot until the 9th.....

Jay Mullins
03-30-2017, 9:23 PM
Good luck on avoiding the tax........:)

Ralph Lindberg
03-31-2017, 12:01 AM
Which model is that? (Need to find a supplier that doesn't charge tax)

Above in the thread the 100200C

Marvin Hasenak
03-31-2017, 12:44 AM
Another one that is super quiet is the Silentaire brand of compressors. But be prepared to spend more dollars.

Mike Goetzke
03-31-2017, 7:51 PM
Anyone know the difference between the 10020 and 10020C? Menard's has the 10020 model for $230 right now.

Mike

(edit - looks like the tank is larger diameter and shorter but anything else? I'm thinking of selling my bit 60 gal. 2-stage IR compressor and picking up this one. I once the IR a bit for HVLP finishing but now I have a dedicated Fuji system. Plus need space badly in the garage/shop.)

Matt Schrum
04-03-2017, 9:43 AM
Mike,
Below are links to the two compressors on California Air Tools' site. it looks like the 10020 is a bit newer with a couple of minor changes (higher CFM at 40 psi and there's a blurb about low amp starts). I have the 10020C and so far it has treated me well. Much quieter than my 3 gal Kobalt I used to have.

http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/2-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-10020c/
http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/2-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-10020/

Mike Goetzke
04-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Mike,
Below are links to the two compressors on California Air Tools' site. it looks like the 10020 is a bit newer with a couple of minor changes (higher CFM at 40 psi and there's a blurb about low amp starts). I have the 10020C and so far it has treated me well. Much quieter than my 3 gal Kobalt I used to have.

http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/2-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-10020c/
http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/2-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-10020/

Thanks for the reply.

I called them up to find out the differences between the 10020 & 10020C. Seems they received many complaints that users didn't like bending over to move the compressor around. The original design was made to easily fit under a workbench. The 10020C has a smaller diameter but taller tank, new handle design, and very small changes to the pump that minimally improves life.

I ended up purchasing one at Menard's. I originally fired it up when I just took it out of the box to make sure it worked and it was quiet but not as quiet as I expected from the reviews/videos. Then I noticed the inlet filters were in a bag. After installing them it is unbelievable how quiet this thing is. Thanks OP'er!

Chris Stolicky
04-03-2017, 8:11 PM
and it would certainly have enough oomph to blow out my sprinkler system. I'm just blown away with how quiet the 2hp and 4hp are - I'd be thrilled with either one.

I bought the 2 HP 220 volt version two years ago (10020C-22060) directly from California Air Tools as one of their scratch and dent models. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I have half an acre with 10 zones on the sprinkler system (its a little overkill) and I have used the compressor to blow it down twice now. It works fine. Just runs a lot. It is now hooked up to piping in the shop and is wonderfully quiet...

Mike Goetzke
04-04-2017, 8:31 AM
After purchasing this super quite CAT compressor I sold my 60 gal. IR compressor. The guy asked if I left it pressurized all the time. I told him yes but I blow the moisture out of it often but he said it's not good for the valves to keep it pressurized ( he bought it anyway). Never heard a valve issue. I know this was talked about years ago but wondering the current thinking. I also see they sell an auto drain valve for these compressors.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Goetzke
04-05-2017, 9:56 AM
Does anyone else's pump get louder when it reaches 60psi? My new 10020 does :(. I'm thinking this is not a good thing?

Thanks,

Mike

Van Huskey
04-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Does anyone else's pump get louder when it reaches 60psi? My new 10020 does :(. I'm thinking this is not a good thing?

Thanks,

Mike

My 5510 did the same thing at about the same pressure, it turned out to the the black plastic electrical box cover vibrating. I stuck a wood splinter in between the cover halves as a short term solution, it fixed the issue and my short term solution has become a long term one since it keeps working. Just touch your finger to the box when the sound changes tone and you can verify if it is your problem too.

Jay Mullins
04-05-2017, 9:27 PM
I looked at the CA air tools on line, decided the 8 gallon tank size would work for me. It came in today, opened the box in the house., plugged in and Wow it was quiet. I can't believe I put up with that loud Craftsman all these years.

Jay Mullins

Mike Goetzke
04-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Thanks,

Mike

I ended up returning this unit model 10020. Found out it is discontinued and has limited support from the manufacturer. I ended up getting the 10020C at Amazon and the improvements are noticeable. Only thing I don't like is that the drain cock on this newer model is on the bottom center of the tank whereas the older model it was off to the side and easy to get at.

Mike