PDA

View Full Version : Hallway floor tile patterns

Stephen Tashiro
03-19-2017, 12:38 AM
I have some 13 and 1/4 inch square ceramic tile that I'd like to have a contractor set in a hallway. However, three tiles across falls just short of spanning the width of the hallway, even using "fat" joints between the tiles. What's good tile pattern for the hallway that doesn't require a large amount of labor to set?

The tile will also be used to make a tile baseboard along the hall. I'd prefer a design that does not have a joint going exactly down the middle of the hallway.

A diagonal pattern would look fine, but I have the impression that it requires a lot of labor.

Lee DeRaud
03-19-2017, 1:58 AM
Have you considered a "Penrose" pattern? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_tiling
If nothing else, it puts into perspective the relatively trivial amount of additional labor that diagonal pattern might require. :cool::eek:

Rich Riddle
03-19-2017, 7:13 AM
In the same situation, I placed tile in the condominium on a 45 degree diagonal pattern. Every person who looked at the condominium when it sold commented on how much they loved that look. I also clipped every other corner of the main tile at 45 degrees to put in small dark contrasting "squares" for accents.

Mike Cutler
03-19-2017, 8:27 AM
I have some 13 and 1/4 inch square ceramic tile that I'd like to have a contractor set in a hallway. However, three tiles across falls just short of spanning the width of the hallway, even using "fat" joints between the tiles. What's good tile pattern for the hallway that doesn't require a large amount of labor to set?

Stephen
A diagonal pattern would be no problem for a professional tile setter. They're actually pretty easy to do, and as with all things, there is a jig, and a technique, to make the 1/2 cut size tiles.
You'd be stunned at how fast a professional can cut and lay tile.

If this is a project you are doing yourself, check out the John Bridges Tile Forum. Extremely helpful site. John also has a book for "beginners" that is a very valuable resource to have around for the DIY'r. Much better than any of those books in a big box store. ;)

Mel Fulks
03-19-2017, 12:16 PM
The diagonal,"lozenge", pattern is nice and more formal. More expansive,I much prefer it.

Rich Riddle
03-19-2017, 7:35 PM
The diagonal pattern was slightly more labor to lay, about 15% or 20% more but it was very effective.

Rick Moyer
03-20-2017, 9:00 AM
The diagonal,"lozenge", pattern is nice and more formal. More expansive,I much prefer it.
This. The diagonal pattern will make the hallway appear wider.

Jim Barkelew
03-20-2017, 4:29 PM
Another option is to find a trim tile or 12x12 sheets of small squares to cut into strips. They can be used as a border to make up the shortage in width. It can look like there is a carpet runner in the hall. Lots of options.

John Terefenko
03-20-2017, 11:25 PM
Diagonal is the way to go. Will make the hallway look longer too. I did my shop floor this way and it was easy. a floor guy will make it look even easier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/Copyofshop7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JTTHECLOCKMAN/media/Copyofshop7.jpg.html)