PDA

View Full Version : Painting Galvanized Pipe

Dave Novak
03-17-2017, 11:54 AM
I built a contraption to hold swimming pool "float-ies" out of galvanized pipe. I had no idea it was going to be so hard to paint however. I've sanded it somewhat, used mineral spirits to remove the stickers and gave it a good washdown with TSP. What would you recommend for a primer/paint choice? I was hoping to use a rattle-can to spray it, but I'm not finding anything that I'm confident won't react with the galvanization. Thanks.

Mac McQuinn
03-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Dave,
Check with a good paint store, I had my aluminum sided house painted (16)years ago and the painter used a specific primer for the siding before top coating. It worked a charm. O peeling over the years, Seems like there would be something available for galvanized metal also.
Good luck,
Mac

Tom Stenzel
03-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Hi Dave,

Where I've seen galvanized pipe not take paint it was normally due to oil, smeared pipe dope and junk that made the paint not adhere. Sounds like you've taken care of the usual suspects already.

A good metal primer and paint should be fine.

-Tom

Dave Novak
03-17-2017, 1:15 PM
I've read that alkyd and oil based paints will have a reaction with the galvanized surface, forming a lye based soap causing the paint to flake off.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-17-2017, 1:55 PM
I had no problem painting galvanized pipe that I used for a LP gas run. I primed it with green "aircraft primer." That's what I call it, but I believe it is sold as "self-etching primer." I followed that with white paint. Since I live in a salt air environment, I wanted the best protection I could get, and I also wanted to blend the pipe to the white wall that it ran across.

Ole Anderson
03-17-2017, 9:03 PM
I painted an electro-galvanized piece of electrical conduit, bent as a hot tub cover support. It was well weathered and I lightly sanded it (it had some light rust) and cleaned it with lacquer thinner before spraying it with Rustoleum's Hammer finish. Outside and still going strong after at least 3 years, looks almost like new.

Kev Williams
03-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Bullseye 1-2-3 primer is pretty good stuff. Our 29 year old houseboat has pebble-finish FRP exterior siding that the PO's painted with house paint in 2002. A few years in the Arizona sun took it's toll and was flaking badly in spots when we bought it in '06.

In 2008 I was told by a friend to use Bullseye primer before repainting and I'd never have any trouble...

for prep we simply scuffed down the flaky paint, then put on a coat of Bullseye and a coat of SW industrial enamel...

That was 9 years ago, and while the paint has chalked up a bit, it's otherwise in good shape and not flaking at all.

I see no reason it wouldn't work on galvanized pipe...?

Dave Zellers
03-17-2017, 11:05 PM
You can buy galvanized primer in a spray can. Use that and then regular paint will adhere to it.

Rich Engelhardt
03-18-2017, 4:44 AM
I've read that alkyd and oil based paints will have a reaction with the galvanized surface, forming a lye based soap causing the paint to flake off.100% correct. Even a tiny bit of alkyd will react and form a soap.
A 100% acrylic will work fine.

Just remember to clean off the surface first & it's also a good idea to wash it down with Toluene or Xylol first - - not mineral spirits or paint thinner since they contain too much oil and will leave a residue...

Dave Novak
03-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone!

Art Mann
03-19-2017, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't even think about painting a galvanized pipe, or any other metal. without using a metal primer first. Use a material that was formulated for the purpose!

Mike Hollingsworth
03-19-2017, 3:20 PM
Wipe with vinegar first.