PDA

View Full Version : Headsup: Lowe's discount

Bill Jobe
03-16-2017, 9:15 PM
Starting this weekend (I think), 11% off at the register. No coupons to mail in.
Capitalism: how can you beat it? (For those who also shop Menards)

Mike Henderson
03-17-2017, 12:21 AM
And if you're a veteran you get 10% off at both places all year long. One of the reasons I got a VA card was to get the discount.

Mike

Bruce Volden
03-17-2017, 9:45 AM
I receive 10% off at Lowes all the time. I have NEVER had the 10% off from Menards, here in SD or over in MN. ? ?

Bruce

Bill Jobe
03-17-2017, 10:04 AM
I receive 10% off at Lowes all the time. I have NEVER had the 10% off from Menards, here in SD or over in MN. ? ?

Bruce

We get 11% off at Menards, but it's via mail-in rebate. Often but not every day.
The Lowe's discount is 11% off at the register on all purchases.
But perhaps you were referring to the veterans discount?

George Bokros
03-17-2017, 2:07 PM
And if you're a veteran you get 10% off at both places all year long. One of the reasons I got a VA card was to get the discount.

Mike

Problem with the veteran requirement, if you were not a career military you do not qualify, at least that is what my local HD store told me when I tried to use my DD214 (Discharge Papers). You had to have either an active duty or a retiree ID card. As as for Lowes I was under the impression they only do it on Memorial Day and Fourth of July.

Bruce Volden
03-17-2017, 2:21 PM
My Lowes has always honored my VA card for the 10% discount. We put on a 2 story addition last year and I did most of the finish work, plumbing,wiring
......they got to know me pretty well! I saved quite a bit of change in the last year or so.

Bruce

Mike Henderson
03-17-2017, 3:56 PM
Problem with the veteran requirement, if you were not a career military you do not qualify, at least that is what my local HD store told me when I tried to use my DD214 (Discharge Papers). You had to have either an active duty or a retiree ID card. As as for Lowes I was under the impression they only do it on Memorial Day and Fourth of July.
Both the Home Depot and the Lowes in my area give the 10% discount to any veteran, all year long. I have a VA medical card with my picture on it and I use that to show my veteran status. They both accept it without question. I'm pretty sure they'd accept a DD214 as proof.

I don't always use it - if the item is small (doesn't cost a lot) I'll usually skip it. The other day I was buying something for about $200 and the clerk asked me if I was a veteran - I had forgotten to show my ID. Don't know why she did that but I appreciated it.

Mike

[One time my wife was buying something at HD and told the clerk that her husband was a vet and could she have the discount. They gave it to her!]

[Any vet can get a VA card - you don't have to be a disabled vet. It's a bit of effort but it's worth it if you do much shopping at HD or Lowes.]

Dave Lehnert
03-17-2017, 4:09 PM
I just looked it up.
Make any purchase through the 19th and receive a coupon for 11% off starting 3-20
Not all stores are included. My local store in Cincinnati is not on the list.

Wade Lippman
03-17-2017, 4:48 PM
I just looked it up.
Make any purchase through the 19th and receive a coupon for 11% off starting 3-20
Not all stores are included. My local store in Cincinnati is not on the list.

Where did you see this? I looked at Lowes.com and there isn't anything there.

Dave Lehnert
03-17-2017, 5:41 PM
Where did you see this? I looked at Lowes.com and there isn't anything there.

https://www.lowes.com/pdf/11_Percent_Coupon.pdf

George Bokros
03-17-2017, 5:49 PM
How do you get VA card??

Bert Kemp
03-17-2017, 6:24 PM
In AZ you take your dd214 to motor vehicles when getting your license they imprint in bold letters on your license
VETERAN. This has always been good at HD for my 10% Today when I bought all most $300 woth of lumber they told me my Drivers license was no longer any good and I had to be active duty or retired military. I made a stink and they said they would give it to me today but no longer expect it.:mad:

Wade Lippman
03-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Of course it isn't available near me. Nothing ever is.

You can always get 10% off coupons on line for $2.
Right now ebay has $100 gift certificates for $99.
And they stack.

Brian Elfert
03-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Lowes is only doing the 11% coupons in areas where they compete with Menards. They have specific store numbers that offer the coupons.

Nick Decker
03-18-2017, 5:45 AM
The Lowes here used to apply the 10% discount if you showed a DD214. Now they require a photo ID with it. Said a lot of guys were just using copies of somebody else's 214.

Stan Calow
03-18-2017, 10:09 AM
The Lowes here used to apply the 10% discount if you showed a DD214. Now they require a photo ID with it. Said a lot of guys were just using copies of somebody else's 214.
There you go. Every good thing eventually gets ruined by people who abuse it.

Mike Null
03-18-2017, 11:03 AM
My Lowe's doesn't accept my DD214 so I take my business to Home Depot which does. Over the past 5 or 6 years I'd say Lowe's missed out on more than $10,000 of my business.

George Bokros
03-18-2017, 11:10 AM
My Lowe's doesn't accept my DD214 so I take my business to Home Depot which does. Over the past 5 or 6 years I'd say Lowe's missed out on more than $10,000 of my business.

My local HD declined my DD214 but my neighbor claims the same store accepts his. I guess I will insist on seeing a manager next time.

Just searched and found this from Home Depot ---

According to Matt Harrigan, Home Depot's public relations spokesman, the last change to their veteran's discount police in 2010 to include an everyday discount. Prior to the change, the discount only applied to major patriotic holidays. Their discount now applies to those active duty, their members, those retired for 20 years, reserves and those disabled while in the service.

Here is where I found this: https://www.aol.com/article/2015/06/15/veteran-says-he-was-denied-a-discount-because-he-was-not-disable/21196035/

Hmmm

Mike Henderson
03-18-2017, 2:17 PM
How do you get VA card??

I've had mine for a while and don't remember the exact process. I think I got a form from the VA website and submitted it with my DD214. That got me a letter back from the VA saying they had verified my service. Then I had to go to a VA facility with my passport to prove who I am and they took a picture of me. Got my card in a couple of weeks.

You can go further into the VA and further identify yourself which gives you email access to doctors and others.

I don't remember all of it exactly because it occurred over a number of months and it was some time ago. If you have a Veterans' Service office near you, give them a call and they can help you.

Maybe someone else can give you a more detailed explanation.

Mike

Stan Calow
03-18-2017, 3:05 PM
So the answer is that the official Lowe's discount is for active and retired military, not Veterans? Except maybe around Veteran's Day when its for Veterans? Probably most clerks wouldn't know the difference.

According to VA website as quoted below, a Veterans ID card is not yet available, but will be. This is different from the VA health benefits ID.

On July 20, 2015, the president signed into law the Veterans Identification Card Act of 2015. This act allows Veterans to apply for an identification card directly from VA. The VA identification card will allow Veterans to demonstrate proof of service for discounts at private restaurants and businesses.
It should be noted that the identification card is different from a Veteran Health Identification card (http://www.va.gov/healthBenefits/vhic/index.asp) or a DoD Uniformed Services or retiree ID card (http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/). As such, the VA identification cards cannot be used as proof of eligibility to any federal benefits and does not grant access to military installations.
When available, Veterans will be able to request an ID card from VA for a fee. VA is currently making plans to implement the new law in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible while protecting Veterans’ personal information. We estimate that VA will be able implement the program in 2017. The cost of each card has not yet been determined.

Mike Henderson
03-18-2017, 6:37 PM
I found this web site (http://themilitarywallet.com/veterans-identification-card-eligibility/) that tells you how to get a Veteran's Identification Card from the VA.

Mike

Harry Hagan
03-25-2017, 9:12 PM
Lowes and Home Depot will beat their competitor's regular prices by 10% anytime; if you can show them the advertised price. Just load it up on your smart phone and show it to them! I do that, especially on big-ticket items.