PDA

View Full Version : Amazon (in this case Amazon Germany) never ceases to amaze me.

Van Huskey
03-16-2017, 7:30 PM
We order a lot from Amazon and I have begun to use Amazon UK and Amazon Germany for many European tools (Festool accessories are usually about 40-50% cheaper even after currency conversion and shipping). I ordered several Systainers and a Domino assortment on Sunday night and they all arrived yesterday afternoon. Two day shipping from Germany!

The order would have been $581 bought in the US, my total order was $314 shipped and it arrived quicker than most of my Festool orders shipped from the US.

Mac McQuinn
03-16-2017, 8:44 PM
Interesting, just wondering, any issues with U.S. Customs so far? Is the Festool warranty good in the US if the tool is a German market item?
Mac

Mike Henderson
03-16-2017, 8:47 PM
I went to Amazon.de and you're right - the prices on accessories are cheaper than here. I had to make sure that Chrome was translating for me, however:).

Mike

Van Huskey
03-16-2017, 8:51 PM
Interesting, just wondering, any issues with U.S. Customs so far?
Mac

None, all 20 or so orders I have made have gone through customs without a hitch and have not had to pay any duties.

Van Huskey
03-16-2017, 9:01 PM
I went to Amazon.de and you're right - the prices on accessories are cheaper than here. I had to make sure that Chrome was translating for me, however:).

Mike

Look just to the left of the "Your Account" drop down and there is a language drop down to switch it the EN. It doesn;t translate everything but makes the site easy to navigate. Your Amazon US account carries over but not Prime but since you have to pay for shipping Prime is only useful for Prime only deals.

Note not everything ships to the US and after the search I limit to Prime only since that limits the listings to Amazon only. Some things ship to the US from .de that don't from .uk and vise versa. Some things don't save much money and some save a lot. Note the prices you see include the ~20% German/UK VAT so when they are in your cart and you pick a US shipping address the prices go down.

Wera and other Euro handtools are potentially a bargain as well, but you have to be savvy and check US suppliers as well, some Wera stuff for example is cheaper when Zora does their routine 20-25% off coupons.

I enjoy getting my Festool stuff cheap since I feel like I am getting over on the man since in the US they are fixed price.

William Adams
03-16-2017, 9:06 PM
How does all this play out with taxes?

When we file our state taxes there's a line for calculating owed state tax on internet/mail orders which were received w/o paying taxes.

Van Huskey
03-16-2017, 9:21 PM
How does all this play out with taxes?

When we file our state taxes there's a line for calculating owed state tax on internet/mail orders which were received w/o paying taxes.

AFAIK every state that requires the filing of a consumer use tax form for tangible personal property brought into the state for use ( and storage or consumption) without paying sales tax also requires the same disclosure and payment for foreign purchases, most laws are written in a way that does not limit it to items purchased in other states. This is separate from customs duties. Each individual should consult their tax professional to ensure they are in compliance with all state use tax payments and disclosures. Ultimately it is no different from US Amazon purchases if you are in a state that Amazon does not (or did not) collect state sales tax.

Craig Shewmake
04-07-2017, 9:17 PM
Great heads up Van! I just ordered the Domino assortment kit (498899) It lists here for $316 and I ended up paying $183.21 through Amazon.de. The estimated delivery date two weeks from now but I am in no rush and well see how long it actually takes.

Too bad it isn't the same with the tools. :D

Brian Deakin
04-11-2017, 9:51 AM
With the current exchange rate between the UK and USA members may find this site interesting

www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/

Craig Shewmake
04-11-2017, 4:23 PM
Great heads up Van! I just ordered the Domino assortment kit (498899) It lists here for $316 and I ended up paying $183.21 through Amazon.de. The estimated delivery date two weeks from now but I am in no rush and well see how long it actually takes.

Too bad it isn't the same with the tools. :D

Following up on my post above created on the 7th. (4 days ago) I ordered the Domino from CPO America and the Assortment Kit from Amazon Germany the day I made the post. As noted above the estimated delivery date for the Assortment Kit was two weeks which seemed reasonable coming from across the pond.

Well, I received the Assortment Kit today. Wow! The Domino is not scheduled to be here for 3 more days. I now share in the "amazement".

Art Mann
04-11-2017, 4:50 PM
Well imagine that! Festool tools are overpriced in the US. Surprise, surprise.:rolleyes:

Craig Shewmake
04-11-2017, 8:49 PM
Well imagine that! Festool tools are overpriced in the US. Surprise, surprise.:rolleyes:

To be accurate, the tools themselves are fairly close to the US prices. I think the Domino itself was about $25 cheaper on Amazon Germany. However, none of the sites delivered to the US. Accessories are a bit different as I was able to get the Assortment Kit for close to 50% off and shipped to the US.

...and we all know the pricing on all Festool stuff is overpriced. But I have to admit, the ROS sander I have is a phenomenal performer.

Art Mann
04-11-2017, 9:08 PM
I have a Dewalt and a Ridgid ROS and together they cost less than the Festool. Maybe the Festool works better in some context but I am satisfied with the way both of these work for me. I prefer having two sanders with different grits at all times.

Craig Shewmake
04-12-2017, 2:43 AM
I have a Dewalt and a Ridgid ROS and together they cost less than the Festool. Maybe the Festool works better in some context but I am satisfied with the way both of these work for me. I prefer having two sanders with different grits at all times.

It's all good. Different strokes as they say. I don't find changing the paper to be cumbersome. I was very hesitant to pick up the sander but have no regrets now. It along with their dust collector that turns on automatically when you hit the on button of the sander is an elegant setup in my humble opinion. Expensive? Absolutely. Overpriced? No doubt. Quality tools? The several products I have from them definitely are.

But that was not the point of this thread. Van was pointing out that you can get some good deals using the European Amazons. And i followed up to say it's absolutely true and his advice saved me some bucks.

Jamie Buxton
04-13-2017, 11:05 AM
For a moment, I was intrigued at the thought of buying Festool tools that they don't bring to the US, like the belt sanders. However, although Amazon.de does show these, if I attempt to buy one, Amazon.de says that the seller will not deliver this item to the US. Festool's iron control over its retailers continues.

Randy Henry
04-21-2017, 4:19 PM
Is there a way on Amazon.de to convert the prices to U.S dollars? I can't seem to find it on the Amazon pages.

Garth Almgren
04-21-2017, 6:06 PM
Not directly. I use http://www.xe.com/ as my go-to currency converter.
Fortunately the euro and the dollar are pretty close right now, so it's not hard to get a feeling for what the price will be at a glance.