PDA

View Full Version : Footwear recommendations

Ashwini Kaul
03-16-2017, 8:49 AM
Hi folks,

I am trying to move beyond crocs in my basement workshop.
Since I am a hobbyist and have only small spurts of time here and there while juggling a busy work and home life - I need something that I can get in and out of quickly, is durable, offers adequate protection and is preferably made in USA.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Please and Thank You!

Mike Ontko
03-16-2017, 10:22 AM
How about steel-toe Birkenstocks (http://www.birkenstock.com/us/a640-steel-toe-black-polyurethane/0020272-0000000-0000000.html?dwvar_0020272-0000000-0000000_color=00001&gclid=CI3ruIec29ICFUdlfgod9yQEdw)?

I wear the old reliable Sears Die-Hard oxfords. They still have laces, but they're comfortable when standing on concrete for long periods of time, and hold their grip when there's a little dust on the floor.

John TenEyck
03-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Don't laugh at the steel toed Birkenstocks. When I was in Sweden at a car parts manufacturer that cut, bent, and welded steel manifolds, mufflers, etc., I saw lots of folks wearing steel toed clogs! Not one person was wearing safety glasses, however, despite sparks flying everywhere.

John

Chris Hachet
03-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Google Union Pro boot company, they are a small family owned business in Wisconsin. About $150 for a set of boots but they are orders and orders of magnitude better than the Chinese junk you buy at box stores. I can work for hours with these, and I have a cold concrete garage floor in Ohio. I also sue them as daily work boots, they really hold up and are comfortable. Cannot say enough good about these folks.

Matt Day
03-16-2017, 12:19 PM
What's wrong with your Crocs?

I used to wear running shoes that I left the laces tied and loose so I could slip them on and off.

Jon Nuckles
03-16-2017, 12:53 PM
I wear Merrell "Jungle Mocs" in the winter. Easy to slip on and very comfortable when you are spending lots of time on your feet. Not steel toe, if that is a concern, and generally too warm in the summer. I wear Keen sandals in the summer unless I am at the lathe. Then I'm barefoot (and very careful not to drop sharp tools!).

andy bessette
03-16-2017, 1:29 PM
...Since I am a hobbyist and have only small spurts of time here and there while juggling a busy work and home life - I need something that I can get in and out of quickly...

Gotta call BS on someone who claims to be too busy (and special) to tie his shoes. :) We all have to "juggle" time between work, home life and hobbies.

Dave Cav
03-16-2017, 1:56 PM
Get a pair of Romeo boots. Some brands are still made in the USA (I think) and they are leather, have a good non skid sloe and slip on and off easily once they're broken in. They are about all I wear outside anymore.

Stan Calow
03-16-2017, 2:00 PM
I've dropped too many sharp hand tools near my feet to feel comfortable with anything other than boots.

Mike Ontko
03-16-2017, 3:35 PM
Google Union Pro boot company, they are a small family owned business in Wisconsin. About $150 for a set of boots but they are orders and orders of magnitude better than the Chinese junk you buy at box stores. I can work for hours with these, and I have a cold concrete garage floor in Ohio. I also sue them as daily work boots, they really hold up and are comfortable. Cannot say enough good about these folks.

Red Wing Boots is another top brand made in the USA. As a result, they're a little more costly but they last forever.

Tony De Masi
03-16-2017, 6:57 PM
+1 on the Merrell Jungle Moc's. I've been wearing the same pair pretty much every day for the last two years. I'm in my shop every day doing something, mostly turning, and I love these things. Super comfortable and great support too. I do have a second pair but those are for dress up days.

Justin Ludwig
03-16-2017, 7:48 PM
Duluth's wild boar boots (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/footwear/boots/12263.aspx?processor=content). I love mine, wear them almost every day.

mark mcfarlane
03-16-2017, 8:09 PM
+1 on the Merrell Jungle Moc's. I've been wearing the same pair pretty much every day for the last two years. I'm in my shop every day doing something, mostly turning, and I love these things. Super comfortable and great support too. I do have a second pair but those are for dress up days.

Which version of the Jungle Moc's the one with the reinforced toe (work boot)?

Yonak Hawkins
03-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Ever since I dropped a board on my foot and broke my toe, which hobbled me and pained me for several weeks, I have worn steel-toed slip-ons. Those steel toe Birkenstocks look promising if you can abide the fit.

Bill ThompsonNM
03-16-2017, 11:17 PM
My favorites are some slipons by Carolina Shoes and Boots. I bought them for the carbon fiber protected toes which keep horse hooves off mine, but they've been so comfortable I wear them at home all the time too.

Bill Jobe
03-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Red Wing Boots is another top brand made in the USA. As a result, they're a little more costly but they last forever.

Gotta look close. Some Red Wings have gone to Mexico.
I'm still wearing the same Red Wings every day since I bought them 15 years ago.

Bill Jobe
03-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Steel toes saved my toes when I first went to work after high school. BUT, saved from a bundle of steel bar that I could not budge. Have to stand there and wait for someone to come along and get help.

Vince Shriver
03-17-2017, 2:09 AM
What's wrong with your Crocs?

I used to wear running shoes that I left the laces tied and loose so I could slip them on and off.

Here's what's wrong with Crocs. If you walk outside on wet cement wearing Crocks, they are extremely slippery - almost like walking on ice with regular dress shoes. I still wear them, but inside only, and NEVER on a wet surface. As an aside, the other footwear I found that I really like is Skechers; they are made with memory foam and very comfortable.

Ashwini Kaul
03-17-2017, 1:54 PM
the Merrll and Birkens both look appealing.
Might have to get something from Union Pro Boots in the near future....

Thank you all!

Patrick Irish
03-17-2017, 3:18 PM
GF got me my first pair of real boots for Christmas, Wolverine 1000 Mile Adrian boots. $200 at Nordstrom rack, regular retail like $400. I'd wear them every day if I could! They can be resoled and conditioned.

Tony De Masi
03-17-2017, 5:11 PM
Mark, these are what I wear.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/jungle-moc/17703M.html?dwvar_17703M_color=J71443#cgid=men-featured-best-sellers&start=1

Don Jarvie
03-17-2017, 8:57 PM
Steel toe however you want them. Besides protecting your feet you can also place a heavy piece of plywood on the toe and get a good grip. Pull the ply up rest it on the toe and grab from underneath. I have Carolina boots with gel soles in them.

mark mcfarlane
03-18-2017, 9:37 AM

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/jungle-moc/17703M.html?dwvar_17703M_color=J71443#cgid=men-featured-best-sellers&start=1

Thanks Tony.

Charles P. Wright
03-18-2017, 10:11 AM
I've got a pair of Red Wings and am happy with them, but only the most expensive ones are still made in the USA.

Rick Potter
03-18-2017, 2:18 PM
SAS shoes (San Antonio Shoe Co.), are what I wear. I get the walking shoes, and simply lace them loosely so I can just slip them on. Nice leather shoes and very comfortable.

No steel toes though. I used to wear steelies at work, and I swear there is only one size toe cap. I never found one that fit my wide, square, toes.

Rob Luter
03-18-2017, 5:10 PM
Nike Air Monarch Cross Trainers. Leather, durable, like wearing clouds. About $50 just about anywhere. Lace them loose and they slip on. These are great if you're on your feet all day.

Bill McNiel
03-18-2017, 11:28 PM

Plus 10-these are my shop shoes and every day comfort apparel.Really comfortable and durable.Been wearing them for years.

David Linnabary
03-19-2017, 10:15 AM
If you like the Merrell jungle Mocs, another of their slip on styles is the chameleon stretch. More of an outdoor shoe yet looks nice for casual wear, I also hike/backpack in them, leave a pair by the back door for taking the dogs out. The stretch collar keeps debris out of your shoes which is good for the trail and in the shop.

David