PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID request.

Bill Jobe
03-16-2017, 2:40 AM
Could I get a species ID, please.

Stole this (4 pieces) from the government. A tornado had dropped down at an interstate overpass....and it was just laying there. Uncertain about the legality. Grabbed my saw and went to work.
Do you know I fell flat on my face in snow in a deep ditch while packing them to my truck, twice, and not one single soul stopped to help the clumsy old fart get back on his feet?
Huge number of cars flying by...I'll bet I was a sight.
But the worst part was getting caught bringing home more wood. She mentioned something about a bonfire/cookout. A full truckload of cedar for more shutters and window boxes is exempt, I guess

I had originally stopped nearby as a crew was trimming along a RR track. The guys were very friendly. One of them took my phone number and said he'd call me if they come across a boxelder, a tree I told him I'd love to try turning. Only seen them in pics.

Aaron Craven
03-16-2017, 8:23 AM
You're probably going to need a closer picture of the endgrain for the experts on here to make a positive ID. I'm not in any way an expert, but my immediate thought was maple...

John Keeton
03-16-2017, 8:29 AM
My guess would be silver maple.

Doug W Swanson
03-16-2017, 9:58 AM
Looks like Ash to me....

Dennis Ford
03-16-2017, 8:14 PM
+ 1 for ash

Bill Jobe
03-16-2017, 8:14 PM
Ok, I have 4 pieces, all too big for my current 10" mini. Think covering, keeping it up off the ground, then throwing some dirt on it as another member spoke of, that it would spald?
I cut 2 straight lengths and 2 crotches.
If I understand correctly it"s the softer wood that spalds?

Thomas Canfield
03-16-2017, 9:25 PM
A chainsaw and bandsaw will make big pieces small enough for a 10" mini. Biggest issue is getting balance well enough for the minimum speed and light weight of lathe.

Sam Force
03-16-2017, 10:56 PM
Bill, where in IL do you live? I live near Decatur

Bill Jobe
03-16-2017, 11:30 PM
Quad Cities.

Pat Scott
03-17-2017, 9:17 AM
The bark isn't right for Silver Maple.

Brian Brown
03-17-2017, 12:06 PM
My first thought is ash, but there is just not enough detail here to go on.

John K Jordan
03-17-2017, 1:09 PM
Ok, I have 4 pieces, all too big for my current 10" mini. Think covering, keeping it up off the ground, then throwing some dirt on it as another member spoke of, that it would spald?
I cut 2 straight lengths and 2 crotches.
If I understand correctly it"s the softer wood that spalds?

For spalting, just set the end directly on the ground. You can put dirt or leaves on the top or not. Almost all woods will spalt. Lighters woods are nicer since you can more easily see the dark zone lines that woodworkers look for. Softer woods may spalt then rot quicker. The wood can be very hard - I recently cut up some spalted hard maple and spalted dogwood - can't get too much harder than that with domestic woods.

For the ID question, read the Wood Identification Guide on the Wood Database, especially towards the bottom. http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-identification-guide/
Wood ID is a hobby of mine but ID by forum photo of board or even chuck of wood with bark is usually futile. Do it right or just call it what you want and almost nobody will know the difference. Those who do will get a nice chuckle.

JKJ