PDA

View Full Version : New Chisel Question

Michael Fross
10-16-2005, 9:58 PM
Hello all,

I have a few old stanley chisels and have decided to purchase a new set (of 6 or 7). I can't afford one of those nice 2 cherry sets, but I've been looking at the Lee Valley Bevel Edge set as well as the Hirsch Firmer set that they sell. There's also a grizzle set of 10 Japanese ones that looks interesting, but I have no experience with this style.

Does anyone have any experience with these or is there others in the same price range ($80-$100) that you would recommend?

Any guidence would be appreciated. I know this is very subjective, but I really respect the folks on this forum and their experience.

Kind regards and thanks in advance,

Michael

Alan Turner
10-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Flea bay #6217895963 is a pretty good set in that price range. And Hirsh and Two Cherries is the same steel.

Steve Wargo
10-16-2005, 11:35 PM
I agree with Alan, (congrats on making into FWW) that the Bahco set is a pretty good one. There is also a seller on "The Bay" that sells sets of chisels by Nooitgedagt, which are also the equivelance of Two Cherries and Hirsch. You could also just look for some old ones and buy them individually on ebay. Pretty much anything over 50 years old is a lock to be a pretty good chisel. I have about dozen Two Cherries and wouldn't trade them for the world... But I do find myself using some oldies some times.

Michael Fross
10-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the help. I'm gonning to get that Bahco set now. I appreciate it.

Michael

Mike Wenzloff
10-18-2005, 7:33 PM
Hi Michael,

I've got vintage Sandvik as well as the Bahco incarnation. The vintage are superior--but these Bahco ones will work fine.

The Bahcos you will find on the bay come in two different sets, one of 6 and one of 7 pcs. Can't remember which chisel is missing in the 6 piece set.

I bought a couple sets probably from the same person for job site chisels. You will probably find you need to grind/hone a secondary bevel to increase the edge retention. Other than that, they seem pretty good for the cost. I also have the LV BE chisels. I think they hold the edge better. But I have pounded the Bahcos and they don't do too badly.

Mike

James Carmichael
10-20-2005, 12:21 PM
They get a lot of grief out here, but I maintain the 4-piece Marples Blue Chip set for $20 @ Lowes (if you can still find them, or they may be under the Irwin name now) are one of the best buys around and will do pretty much all a hobbyist needs.

Mike Henderson
10-20-2005, 6:04 PM
I bought a set of the Hirsch chisels from Lee Valley and they are identical to the Two Cherries (except for the logo). I also did a special order through Lee Valley and bought some of the odd sized Hirsch chisels to fill out my set. The prices Lee Valley gave me were the best I could find anywhere on the web for Hirsch chisels. The Lie-Nielsens are probably better chisels but they go for $50 each.

EBay is a good place to purchase tools but Lee Valley stands behind their products. If you ever have a problem, you'll get a better response from Lee Valley than you're likely to get from your EBay seller.

Mike Henderson
Tustin, CA

Don Baer
10-20-2005, 6:13 PM
They get a lot of grief out here, but I maintain the 4-piece Marples Blue Chip set for $20 @ Lowes (if you can still find them, or they may be under the Irwin name now) are one of the best buys around and will do pretty much all a hobbyist needs.

James I bought the same set from the Orange Borg over a year ago and they work great. On the blade it says the steel comes from Shefield England. They keep and edge realy well. I loaned one of them to my cabinate maker neighbor and he was so impress with them he went and bought a set for himself.