PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen event: Attend, or just spend the money on tools?

Malcolm Schweizer
03-14-2017, 8:50 PM
I have enough airline miles for the ticket. There is a B&B offering 5 nights for $480. I want to visit the Mystic Seaport, hence the extra nights. The car will cost $350 plus fuel, although a Harley is only a wee bit more :rolleyes:. Meals aren't an issue, as food is cheaper there than it is here. I figure on top of burning 50,000 airline miles, I am spending $1,000 or more that I could spend on tools. Last year I had the same dilemma and chose tools. So- what say you? Should I stay or should I go? (P.S. Amy says go for it, but she's not keen on my plan to rent a Harley.)

Has anyone gone that can tell me is it worth going for the whole two days, or is it only something to stay at for a few hours? (I would certainly do the Lobster bake if I went.). I'm all for spending money on adventure versus material things. Maybe someone can enlighten me on what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM

John C Cox
03-14-2017, 8:59 PM
You don't always have a chance to spend a couple days learning interesting things from masters and new people. You can always sit on your couch ordering stuff off the internet, posting on here, and dreaming about using tools - but unless you have a team of master craftsmen around the corner - you won't have a day or 2 with them.

John Kananis
03-14-2017, 9:08 PM
I went a couple of years ago and really enjoyed myself. Crazy really; planned a couple weeks off during my wife's birthday and when she asked where we should go, I (half-jokingly) said: "Let's hit the Lie-Nielsen event up in Maine." She said sure and we both had a fantastic time in Maine - found a pet-friendly bungalow right off the beach. I honestly thought she was putting me on, I'd told her I'd take her anywhere within reason that she wanted.

EDIT: Maine is a great state to ride in.

Paul McGaha
03-14-2017, 9:12 PM
Hi Malcolm,

I've only gone to a LN hand tool event once. It's a lot of fun to go. They bring several display tools for you to handle and test drive. They have some very experienced people there if you have questions about a tool.

I had no idea how small a #1 bench plane was and how big a #8 was, that's the only time I've ever seen them.

They bring some inventory with them to sell but I think it's kind of limited. I wanted to buy a bronze #4 and they didn't have one with them. They took my order and sold me the tool with free shipping, I had it in a few days.

They bring a bunch of their videos and let you have one with if you purchase a tool.

I'm mixed about how to vote. The trip would of course be nice but so would some stuff for the shop. Your wife probably knows best and if she said go, well ...........

PHM

John C Cox
03-14-2017, 9:29 PM
I missed the part about the wife saying yes.....

You are now in danger of "Selling past the close". She already said yes... The discussion now is where she wants to stay and what she wants to do in Maine, and what sorts of clothes and shoes she needs on the trip. ;) ;)

The only thing that can happen by further discussion of "Whether or not" is for you to talk her out of it....

Malcolm Schweizer
03-14-2017, 9:50 PM
She can't complain- she's going to Spain for 3 weeks to hike the Camino de Santiago for her third time. I wanted an adventurous woman- be careful what you ask for! (Full disclosure- I am blissfully happy with what I asked for.)

Actually my fear is I will get there and all the demonstrations are focused on the basics like sawing dovetails and chiseling mortises. If I knew there would be some advanced courses and time to really talk to the masters, then I would be in like Flynn. I did only just learn that there are other boutique toolmakers there- that is a plus. I already own most of the LN line, so trying their tools isn't why I would go. Do you get to tour the foundry? That would be worth seeing.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-14-2017, 9:52 PM
I missed the part about the wife saying yes.....

You are now in danger of "Selling past the close". She already said yes... The discussion now is where she wants to stay and what she wants to do in Maine, and what sorts of clothes and shoes she needs on the trip. ;) ;)

The only thing that can happen by further discussion of "Whether or not" is for you to talk her out of it....

This is a mancation. Just me, myself, and I.

Phil Mueller
03-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Given you have most of their tools, unless they offer the advanced seminars, a foundry tour, or feature a number of different tool makers you'd be interested in seeing, I don't think the event would be my reason for going to Maine. If I were in your shoes (or sandals?), I'd make my decision on whether I want to visit Maine first, then know the event is there as one way to spend an afternoon (with free lobster?!)

Of course, you could do all. Go enjoy Maine, go to the event, AND buy more tools. Might as well rent the Harley while you're at it.

Cody Kemble
03-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Mystic Seaport! That's a decent drive from Maine. I am debating on making the drive from there to the event this year. Something always seems to creep up that keeps me away.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-14-2017, 10:46 PM
I'm good with just checking out Maine... And CT. Cody, how long is the drive to Mystic from Maine? My world is only 12 miles long, 4 miles wide. Interstates make me nervous. I would like to go, but that's all day just getting there and back.

Dan Sink
03-14-2017, 11:15 PM
What about going to Handworks in Amana, Iowa in May? It looks like most of the high quality hand tool makers in the country are going to be there. Now, I'm originally from Iowa and I think its beautiful country, but I've been to Maine several times (actually got engaged to my wife on a trip there), and its inspirational beauty. So I guess it just depends on what exactly you want out of the trip.

www.handworks.co (http://www.handworks.co)

David Eisenhauer
03-14-2017, 11:52 PM
Dan beat me to the punch on suggesting the handworks event. That sounds like a much more varied event with many vendors represented and perhaps a chance to talk to some of the recognized experts in their field. I have to think that the LN event would be somewhat underwhelming if you already own many of their tools and the experience level of the guys that demo the tools may or may not be heads and shoulders above your level. There is some nice country side south of Iowa that would be very nice to ride/drive through as well. No seaport, but nice all the same.

Kees Heiden
03-15-2017, 2:59 AM
No idea about the LN event but I have ridden a motorbike in Maine during a business trip and thouroughly enjoyed that.

Frederick Skelly
03-15-2017, 6:15 AM
She can't complain- she's going to Spain for 3 weeks to hike the Camino de Santiago for her third time. I wanted an adventurous woman- be careful what you ask for! (Full disclosure- I am blissfully happy with what I asked for.)

Actually my fear is I will get there and all the demonstrations are focused on the basics like sawing dovetails and chiseling mortises. If I knew there would be some advanced courses and time to really talk to the masters, then I would be in like Flynn. I did only just learn that there are other boutique toolmakers there- that is a plus. I already own most of the LN line, so trying their tools isn't why I would go. Do you get to tour the foundry? That would be worth seeing.

Malcolm, can you call LN and ask them some of these questions directly? That might help you.

To me, unless you're longing for a particular new tool(s), the Harley adventure wins over the tool acquisition. And besides, if you can set aside $500 extra you can have the trip AND a tool!

Let us know what you decide (and how cool the trip is!)

Pat Barry
03-15-2017, 7:43 AM
This poll will be biased in favor of you spending more of your money. You will spend more by taking the trip because, not only will you be paying for the trip, no doubt you will still spend the $1000 on tools.

Don Orr
03-15-2017, 8:50 AM
I have not been to the big summer event at LN, but I did go there and take the factory tour last Fall. Had a great time-my wife even liked it. I have heard from friends that the summer party is quite fun. There are lots of great things to see in Maine. Not far from LN is the Pemaquid Point State Park with one of the oldest lighthouses in Maine and not far form there in New Harbor is a great lobster restaurant called Shaw's. It's a working lobster wharf. The back roads should be great fun on a bike. (I haven't ridden since I started working in a Level 1 Trauma Center). I would second the suggestion to call LN and ask about the event.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-15-2017, 9:53 AM
I have not been to the big summer event at LN, but I did go there and take the factory tour last Fall. Had a great time-my wife even liked it. I have heard from friends that the summer party is quite fun. There are lots of great things to see in Maine. Not far from LN is the Pemaquid Point State Park with one of the oldest lighthouses in Maine and not far form there in New Harbor is a great lobster restaurant called Shaw's. It's a working lobster wharf. The back roads should be great fun on a bike. (I haven't ridden since I started working in a Level 1 Trauma Center). I would second the suggestion to call LN and ask about the event.

We drive in the left, and although I travel a lot to places that drive on the right, I'm a bit nervous about being on a bike without another rider to remind me. Pulling out of parking lots is when you revert sometimes to the wrong side of the road.

I called LN and got kind of a generic answer that there is something for all levels, but their video suggests it's sharpening, dovetails, and spoon making workshops.

Handwerks sounds fun. Going to a land-locked state might not be too bad.

David Eisenhauer
03-15-2017, 10:01 AM
South of Iowa, the Ozark and White River areas in Arkansas are beautiful bike riding areas. Missouri has some very nice terrain as well. Going North, one runs into the whole Great Lakes region but I have no experience with that area.

Dave Anderson NH
03-15-2017, 10:27 AM
I vote Mystic Malcolm. As a boat person there are few places with as good a selection. Try to make contact with the curatorial staff before going to set up an appointment. Across the street from the seaport is a long low brick factory building with 4 times as many boats stored as are on display and it is not normally open to the public. Also south of that building and back up on a hill is a 2 story Butler building with even more boats. The curators should be sympathetic if you pitch them the distance and expense of your travel. Mystic is absolutely awesome and should take you 1-1 1/2 days to cover in detail.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-15-2017, 11:31 AM
South of Iowa, the Ozark and White River areas in Arkansas are beautiful bike riding areas. Missouri has some very nice terrain as well. Going North, one runs into the whole Great Lakes region but I have no experience with that area.

Oh, I know that area well. My brother would ride through there every year until he had a wreck, and decided that was it for his riding career. (He's okay- broke a few ribs, but he's better now.)

I vote Mystic Malcolm. As a boat person there are few places with as good a selection. Try to make contact with the curatorial staff before going to set up an appointment. Across the street from the seaport is a long low brick factory building with 4 times as many boats stored as are on display and it is not normally open to the public. Also south of that building and back up on a hill is a 2 story Butler building with even more boats. The curators should be sympathetic if you pitch them the distance and expense of your travel. Mystic is absolutely awesome and should take you 1-1 1/2 days to cover in detail.

More than once I have been near Mystic, and always there was no time to go there. I won't go to Maine without driving to Mystic, but I am not looking forward to a 9-hour round trip. I'm thinking maybe fly in to EHT, and fly out of PWM. I'd have to nix the Harley, but then I won't be concerned with the weather.

Edwin Santos
03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
She can't complain- she's going to Spain for 3 weeks to hike the Camino de Santiago for her third time.

Your wife sounds experienced, but all the same, please tell her to take precautions on that hike. The sister of a friend had a bad incident there while hiking it alone in 2015. I hope your wife will be in a group or with at least one other person. Sorry if this is unwanted advice but I can't help myself.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Your wife sounds experienced, but all the same, please tell her to take precautions on that hike. The sister of a friend had a bad incident there while hiking it alone in 2015. I hope your wife will be in a group or with at least one other person. Sorry if this is unwanted advice but I can't help myself.

It is one of the safest hikes you can do. We walked the Camino together. Typically you end up in groups even if you are alone. It is sad to hear about your friend. It is a sad thing to hear about my favorite walk.

Edwin Santos
03-15-2017, 12:39 PM
It is one of the safest hikes you can do. We walked the Camino together. Typically you end up in groups even if you are alone. It is sad to hear about your friend. It is a sad thing to hear about my favorite walk.

Malcolm, I'm not trying to be argumentative, and you've been there and I haven't, but it was anything but safe for my friend's sister who was murdered there in 2015. The trial of the Spanish man charged with killing her began this week in Madrid. If you choose to google it, you'll find plenty of news articles going back to the period when she was simply missing. It was and is, very sad and tragic.

From your comments, this was probably an outlier circumstance, but because I have an indirect connection to it, it's a big deal to me and so I share the story, advising caution wherever possible. I've never tried to talk anyone out of it, just advise caution. I know I've taken this thread way off topic, sorry about that, couldn't help it when I saw Camino de Santiago come up.

Jim Koepke
03-15-2017, 12:48 PM
I voted before reading the text.

My thought was it was a regular Lie-Nielsen Tool Event. It has been my good fortune to be able to attend 3 of those in different cities. The one that seemed the best was in Oakland, California. It was in a foundry and they were giving demonstration on casting.

Even with an understanding of all the LN tools, there are others there that are informative to see.

jtk

Mike Brady
03-15-2017, 3:10 PM
I went to the LN open house last summer and stayed for the lobster boil on the last day. Definitely worthwhile and the factory is great to see. You won't see a foundry there; mostly machining (the staff will be working on the event, not at their regular jobs). I think one day is enough, but I did not buy anything, which would have taken some extra time. We spent several days before and after the even touring and spent two nights in a great B&B in Bar Harbor. Warren, ME is a wide spot in the the road (hwy 1).

Handworks is mostly a selling show but some of the outlying vendors do have live demonstrations of their tools in use. I personally enjoy seeing many vendors and lots of familiar faces that I would encounter nowhere else. You will spend money there! Amana is a beautiful nod to a bygone era. It's about a three hour drive (or ride) from Chicago. This will be my third trip there.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-15-2017, 3:36 PM
Malcolm, I'm not trying to be argumentative, and you've been there and I haven't, but it was anything but safe for my friend's sister who was murdered there in 2015. The trial of the Spanish man charged with killing her began this week in Madrid. If you choose to google it, you'll find plenty of news articles going back to the period when she was simply missing. It was and is, very sad and tragic.

From your comments, this was probably an outlier circumstance, but because I have an indirect connection to it, it's a big deal to me and so I share the story, advising caution wherever possible. I've never tried to talk anyone out of it, just advise caution. I know I've taken this thread way off topic, sorry about that, couldn't help it when I saw Camino de Santiago come up.

Not at all taken as argumentative. I am very sorry for your friend's loss, and am very sorry to hear this news. Hopefully my reply didn't come across as defensive. I am a little worried about her safety, but having done the walk, I feel better. There are certainly stretches where you can be alone if you choose, but there is always a time when you can go in groups. You meet lots of people and usually end up travelling together a few days, then they leave late and you split up and three days later you see them again. It's a great social and spiritual experience.

I will google the story and give it to my wife.

Cody Kemble
03-15-2017, 6:29 PM
The trip from shoreline CT to Lie-Nielsen is about 4.5 hours. It is actually shorter than I thought. You will however be driving by Boston so rush hour can add hours to the travel time.

allen long
03-15-2017, 7:38 PM
Whe n is the show in the Amanas? I am only about 30 minutes away

Mike Henderson
03-15-2017, 7:54 PM
I looked up that Camino de Santiago. Seems that there are many routes that one can take to Santiago, although the "French Way" seems to be the most popular. But even then, it seems that you can do a lot of different distances up to about 775km which is perhaps a 25 day walk. I found tour places that set up hotels and transport your baggage between hotels.

What length do you and your wife do?

Mike

Bruce Haugen
03-15-2017, 8:25 PM
Whe n is the show in the Amanas? I am only about 30 minutes away

Handworks 2017http://handworks.co

Malcolm Schweizer
03-15-2017, 10:39 PM
I looked up that Camino de Santiago. Seems that there are many routes that one can take to Santiago, although the "French Way" seems to be the most popular. But even then, it seems that you can do a lot of different distances up to about 775km which is perhaps a 25 day walk. I found tour places that set up hotels and transport your baggage between hotels.

What length do you and your wife do?

Mike

St. Jean Pierre de Port, France, over the Pyrenees. Quite a long haul. Amy kept going on her first Camino all the way to Finisterre as opposed to stopping in Santiago de Compostela. (My dream girl- she's tough.) As for carrying your baggage for you- that's missing the point. The idea is take only what you can carry. It's about sacrifice and shedding material things.

I developed this muscle in my foot that I hadn't seen before. I still remember the pain when I look at this image. A day later, I would ask Amy to marry me. Memories.

Chris Hachet
03-16-2017, 7:30 AM
I have enough airline miles for the ticket. There is a B&B offering 5 nights for $480. I want to visit the Mystic Seaport, hence the extra nights. The car will cost $350 plus fuel, although a Harley is only a wee bit more :rolleyes:. Meals aren't an issue, as food is cheaper there than it is here. I figure on top of burning 50,000 airline miles, I am spending $1,000 or more that I could spend on tools. Last year I had the same dilemma and chose tools. So- what say you? Should I stay or should I go? (P.S. Amy says go for it, but she's not keen on my plan to rent a Harley.)

Has anyone gone that can tell me is it worth going for the whole two days, or is it only something to stay at for a few hours? (I would certainly do the Lobster bake if I went.). I'm all for spending money on adventure versus material things. Maybe someone can enlighten me on what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM

I found spending time in my woodshop rather than going to Cinncinatti for their event to be time well spent.