PDA

View Full Version : Day light savings

Jerome Stanek
03-14-2017, 5:53 PM
I hate it and wish they would do away with it. Why not split the difference and go half an hour between and leave that

George Bokros
03-14-2017, 6:10 PM
Why not just keep the time we have now - after the change to DST.

Bert Kemp
03-14-2017, 6:11 PM
We don't have it here don't really notice a difference that much.

Chris Padilla
03-14-2017, 6:35 PM
Yeah, changing clocks is becoming a pain.

And as I'm getting older, I'm feeling that hour loss come Monday morning!

Mel Fulks
03-14-2017, 8:11 PM
Probably the silliest idea of all. Supporters often "credit" it to Benjamin Franklin who wrote a satirical piece about how the French stayed up late burning expensive candles. Before quartz watches everyone at a small party might have their own time : "I've got 3 minutes to" ,"I've got 4 past", and so on. Now we can all be EXACTLY an hour off.

Paul F Franklin
03-14-2017, 8:25 PM
Someone wrote to a columnist in local paper suggesting that if we are going to keep DST, we should at least change it so in the fall time changes at 2AM Sunday, as it does now, but in spring, it should change at 2PM Monday. A shorter Monday, even if only once a year, is an idea I can support.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-14-2017, 8:32 PM
Actually, Hugo Chavez made Venezuela 1/2 hour different for daylight savings. It's just one of his many convoluted things he did.

Richard Flinn
03-14-2017, 9:33 PM
Wasn't Daylight Savings a thing for farmers a long time ago? Don't we have the technology to keep track of time in a different manner for them or is it of the utmost importance that everyone gains/loses an hour in spring/fall? A bit annoying I agree.

Ole Anderson
03-14-2017, 10:35 PM
Personally I like the extra hour of evening daylight during DST.

Bert Kemp
03-14-2017, 11:15 PM
There is no extra hour of daylight LOL the days are the same length as they have always been.Go to work an hour earlier get home and hour earlier and you an hour more of daylight in the afternoon. Farmers don't need dst they go to work when it gets light and stop when it gets dark, heck they don't even need a watch.:D

Rich Riddle
03-14-2017, 11:26 PM
The powers at large seem to think it saves electricity. You can conduct a search to see that argument. It's an infinitesimal amount though.

Yonak Hawkins
03-15-2017, 12:06 AM
There is no extra hour of daylight LOL the days are the same length as they have always been.Go to work an hour earlier get home and hour earlier and you an hour more of daylight in the afternoon. Farmers don't need dst they go to work when it gets light and stop when it gets dark, heck they don't even need a watch.:D

It gives us an extra hour of daylight after work. What's wrong with that ?

Mel Fulks
03-15-2017, 1:01 AM
Farmers and others worked from "can see" to "can't see". An easily set up noon mark let them know when it was mid day.
Just doing the rough math, they could at mid day determine that if half the work that needed to be done that day was not done ....they had to speed up. I dare say they would have had even a lower opinion of DST than I do. And it used to be common for some business's to have summer hours, much better than pretending it's some other time. Once people believe that these things are easily controlled it will be easier to eliminate one or two time zones,there are people currently pushing that idea. It makes it easier to be "bi-coastal". And only the people in "the flyover" will be the losers.

Oops! Obviously dropping one zone changes the others. The idea is to have more people awake and working.....more people will see the pic of your sandwich !!

Wayne Lomman
03-15-2017, 6:33 AM
The actual reason for daylight saving is to increase economic activity as the population feels they have more leisure time and therefore are more likely to spend money. Translation: another means of transferring wealth upwards. Cheers

Randal Blair
03-15-2017, 7:14 AM
John Wayne said it best in his 1972 movie "The Cowboys"...""We're burnin' daylight"" said it at 3:00 a.m.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhO85yWpBJI

Tim Boger
03-15-2017, 8:00 AM
Try as I might, I don't care enough to give a darn ..... not a thing changes in my life because of DST.
Tim

Rod Sheridan
03-15-2017, 8:21 AM

Regards, Rod.

Matt Marsh
03-15-2017, 8:44 AM
Springing ahead to Daylight savings time in the middle of the night on a weekend kind of stinks! If they really wanted to make people happy, why don't they make the switch on Friday around 3pm? ;-)

I love the long evenings in the summertime. Here in Northern MN, it stays light til almost 10pm!

Ole Anderson
03-15-2017, 9:36 AM
There is no extra hour of daylight LOL the days are the same length as they have always been.Go to work an hour earlier get home and hour earlier and you an hour more of daylight in the afternoon. Farmers don't need dst they go to work when it gets light and stop when it gets dark, heck they don't even need a watch.:D I didn't think I needed to state the obvious: that you swap it for a later sunrise...most of us aren't farmers, and retired or not, we do have evening activities that benefit from daylight. Gosh, is it that much work to change your watch and a few clocks?:p

Von Bickley
03-15-2017, 9:49 AM
I hate the time change. If you want to see more daylight, just get up earlier.

As people set their clocks forward an hour for daylight saving time this Sunday (March 8), they may also want to take extra care of their heart. That's because people tend to have more heart attacks on the Monday following spring's daylight saving time, according to a recent study.

In fact, the number of heart attacks increased 24 percent on the Monday following a daylight saving time, compared with the daily average for the weeks surrounding the start of daylight saving time, according to a 2014 study in the journal Open Heart.

John K Jordan
03-15-2017, 9:59 AM

With a farm and 50+ animals to care for I really like the extra daylight in the evening. Sure, I start when it gets light (or usually before) but extra daylight in the evening makes it easier to get more done when it's cold out. For example, yesterday it was below freezing here (and quite windy) when it got light in the morning and it was close to 50 deg in the evening. For some reason the closer I get to 70 the less I enjoy the freezing weather. :)

In the summer, it is often too hot to work in the late afternoon but starts to cool off towards evening. The DST lets me get more done in the evening outside after some typical interactive things - grandkids/family, farm/shop visitors, dinner time, etc. With the longer daylight hours in the summer, I do often start in the morning before it gets light out and work until it starts to get too hot then pick up again in the evening.

JKJ

Shawn Pixley
03-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Personally, I don't understand all the antagonism towards daylight savings time. I don't find it a big deal to change a few clocks. That said, I am a morning person, so one might assume I would prefer standard time. But I don't seem to mind waking in the dark and seeing the sun rise. The longer period of daylight after work is very desireable especially if you have younger children and wish to play with them outside as I did and my father before me.

Yonak Hawkins
03-15-2017, 3:10 PM
Mel, what's your beef with Daylight Savings Time (I don't mean switching from one to the other, just the extra evening hour of daylight).

Yonak Hawkins
03-15-2017, 3:18 PM
...is it that much work to change your watch and a few clocks?

Ole, it's not the changing clocks that's the issue. It's the upsetting of sleep times for a few days. What's wrong with staying on Daylight Savings Time ?. I've never heard a good argument opposed.

Jay Runde
03-15-2017, 3:47 PM
Ole, it's not the changing clocks that's the issue. It's the upsetting of sleep times for a few days. What's wrong with staying on Daylight Savings Time ?. I've never heard a good argument opposed.

The only good one I've heard is children walking to school in the dark. With Standard time, the latest time of the official sunrise is around 6:50AM in the late part of December/early January. It is another 10-15 minutes until the sun rises above the mountains. The elementary schools here have the latest start time at 7:50AM. That means there would be a lot of children walking to school in the dark and it would be harder to see them while driving that time of the year. That would be without changing the school start times of course.

Mel Fulks
03-15-2017, 4:33 PM
Yonak, I just have an enjoyment of the symmetry of nature that is not there with pretend time. Never could see it when I was a kid, but even then I was interested in sundials, noon marks. Noon marks are easy to set up and still useful when when gardening. I've found a couple of nice ones around here ,one is made into a large structure, there are probably many of unrecognized ones ,especially in Eastern US. And when you find one you at least have a chance to see that is added to the history. I posted before about finding one and notifying an editor of history books who had asked for info about what the thing was made for. She had never heard of them and was not the least bit convinced. There are some old prints that show people of means "observing the noon",still makes a nice moment. And up until 1920s radio time announcements most clocks and watches were set by dials or marks,or by a signal sent by one observer ; that was the origin of new year ball drop.

Chris Padilla
03-15-2017, 6:17 PM
Personally, I don't understand all the antagonism towards daylight savings time. I don't find it a big deal to change a few clocks.

Let's see: the range, the microwave oven, two thermostats, my wife's watch, the fish tank light timer, car clock, truck clock, and this one caught me: a recently installed hot water recirculation pump (wife complained about no [semi]-instant hot water Monday AM). Oh, the swimming pool pump timer, the swimming pool booster pump timer, and finally, the clock on the wall in my shop. Thank goodness our 3 laptops, 1 iPad and 3 smartphones, 4 TVs, 2 cable boxes and living room clock all automagically adjust themselves.

Oops...one final one. My trust HP48SX calculator.

Yeah, it is a pain. :)

EDIT: two more: lawn sprinklers and soft water conditioner (although not terribly important to change that one I must admit).

Shawn Pixley
03-15-2017, 7:44 PM
Let's see: the range, the microwave oven, two thermostats, my wife's watch, the fish tank light timer, car clock, truck clock, and this one caught me: a recently installed hot water recirculation pump (wife complained about no [semi]-instant hot water Monday AM). Oh, the swimming pool pump timer, the swimming pool booster pump timer, and finally, the clock on the wall in my shop. Thank goodness our 3 laptops, 1 iPad and 3 smartphones, 4 TVs, 2 cable boxes and living room clock all automagically adjust themselves.

Oops...one final one. My trust HP48SX calculator.

Yeah, it is a pain. :)

EDIT: two more: lawn sprinklers and soft water conditioner (although not terribly important to change that one I must admit).

Sorry, I still don't think it is a big deal. This is the price for your modern conveniences. But if you do think it is a big deal, that is your right.

i change a thermostat, range / microwave, two car clocks and the coffee maker. It takes me all of three minutes total. All others change themselves automatically and my hot water recirculator runs 24/7. The time spent, even if it took an hour, would be worth it to me.

Richard McComas
03-15-2017, 11:34 PM

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/rmccomas0043/1970740_10152113621213859_1832334931_n_zpsamslkvmq .jpg

John K Jordan
03-16-2017, 8:31 AM
Let's see: the range, the microwave oven, two thermostats, my wife's watch, ...

One year I decided to do an experiment - I simply left all the clocks alone except for those the family used. It was trivial to add an hour in my head where needed on clocks and especially timers - my timers don't care if it gets dark or light at a certain time. I don't remember getting confused.

When buying new clocks I get those that set the time, three in my shop. That leaves two appliances, two vehicles, and one old house clocks to set. I also have an old HP48 but I don't even remember it having a clock.

JKJ