PDA

View Full Version : How Snow Shovelling is like Woodworking

Bill McDermott
03-14-2017, 12:33 PM
We had about 10" of fresh snow this AM. I was unable to get the 48" UHMW pusher through it. That beast is like my transitional jointer with the 2 5/8" blade -- gets it done fast... in some cases. Today I had to bring out the classic steel 24" pusher. That's like my #5 with a heavy camber. It does a good job of rough clearing, but can't get it up and off the drive. So I followed with the scoop shovel. I suppose that's like a #4.

Three inches of powder is like working green wood. Today's snow had an inch of slush at the bottom. That makes it more like working maple. Happily, I did not need the ice chipper today. That's only needed for frozen slush, like a scraper on reversing grain.

I was working my way across the driveway much as one would work across a board. I typically skew my pusher, about the same as a jack plane and overlap my cuts just as I would work my way over a board. No tire tracks today. They are like knots.

I also find it easier to get out there a couple or few times, taking light cuts, rather than waiting for the snow to finish and trying to take it all in a single pass.

I have been known to sharpen a shovel, and I certainly file off the curled up corners of the blade. At the beginning of the season I will also put some ski wax on the shovels. Can we call that fettling?

As I was finishing, my neighbor was firing up his riding mower with snow-thrower attachment. I prefer to do my driveway using Neanderthal tools and techniques. But there are times I would like to have him do the rough dimensioning with his power tool.

Let it snow!

ken hatch
03-14-2017, 1:03 PM
Bill,

I understand the planes but what is this Snow Shovel of which you speak? :D

BTW, It's in the high 80s and low 90s this week...But it is a dry heat.

ken

Dave Anderson NH
03-14-2017, 4:00 PM
Well Ken, it's like this.... So far today we have 11" of partly cloudy and it's coming down now at about 2-3" per hour. I expect that before the storm is over we'll get 2 feet as predicted. It's been a mellow and unexpected day off from work. Had freshly made beef stew for lunch. I'll wait until tonight when the snow stops to go out and fire up the snowblower. With a 100ft hill driveway there is no way I'm hand shoveling Neander or not.

Jake Rothermel
03-14-2017, 4:23 PM
After my third trip out in a rare Philadelphia storm, Bill your post practically sang to me. I truly appreciate when my neighbor cuts a rut down everyone's sidewalk on the block but I'm also happy in the summer time when I don't have to store a big snowblower in my one-care garage shop!

Maybe, since I only have and use a curved metal shovel, I'm following the Paul Sellers-esque style of a No4 for every job?

-Jake

Ron Citerone
03-14-2017, 4:44 PM
Interesting Thread. This is the first winter I don't shovel since it is forbidden by my Cardiologist and the little woman! I hired a guy who did the last little storm and should be coming today..................waiting/wondering if he is coming is worse than shoveling...................a lot like hiring someone to do a small woodworking job for you when you would rather do it yourself! LOL

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2017, 4:45 PM
I am a complete neander when it comes to shoveling snow. Our drive way is only 50' long.

Al Launier
03-14-2017, 5:32 PM
I usually snow blow my driveway (150' long), but with the forecast of 14"-18" of heavy wet snow with wind gusts to 50 mph, I decided to hire someone to plow the driveway. I'll still have to do the walkways around the house plus the walkout from the finished basement. This time around I'm going to wait until well after the driveway is plowed to trim out the driveway. It is usually the case that with the amount of wind I get at my place the snow is blown after the driveway is cleared into the driveway filling it up again. This time I'll wait until the wind stops. Glad we're not planning on going anywhere for a while. ;)

John Schtrumpf
03-14-2017, 6:08 PM
I have a short handled transfer (aka coal) shovel in the trunk of my car. For shoveling out the one or two feet behind it, left by the plow. Apartment living does have it's perks :)

Bert Kemp
03-14-2017, 11:23 PM
Dry heat my butt its still to hot to early and you sweat like heck:rolleyes:
Oh I lived in NH for 40 years for 20 of those year my driveway was 900+feet up hill well down hill on the first pass and I did it with a snowblower. It was a dirt not paved drive and very steep. Fun Fun

Bill,

I understand the planes but what is this Snow Shovel of which you speak? :D

BTW, It's in the high 80s and low 90s this week...But it is a dry heat.

ken

Kris Cook
03-15-2017, 12:56 AM
I thought your analogy was spot-on. We have had the 4th snowiest winter on record here and I am tired of shoveling. Was supposed to fly to Philly yesterday for a meeting - trip got postponed. I am glad. Our snow here is actually disappearing rapidly.

-Kris-

Myk Rian
03-15-2017, 1:10 PM
I can't remember if I used the snow thrower once or twice this winter. Same with the shovel.
Everyone else is getting it except southern Mi. The storm that hit the east left us with maybe 2".
In Feb. there was a report that every state except Florida had snow.

David Helm
03-15-2017, 6:20 PM
My driveway is ~100 feet long. We so seldom get snow, although we got a bit more than usual this year, that I never shovel it. Just drive my Subaru (in reverse because that's the way it's parked) out. Since our rural road is never plowed I don't have to drive over a plow bump. It's great not to have to remove snow.

Rich Riddle
03-15-2017, 6:49 PM
I use a starter assisted snow blower when lots of snow falls.....no Neander tools unless it's just a dusting.

Leo Graywacz
03-15-2017, 8:52 PM
16" of the stuff. I'd much rather be woodworking than using a snowblower to move it from where it is to where it needs to go.

Alex Snyder
03-16-2017, 6:59 AM
This didn't feel anything like woodworking.

https://youtu.be/2GaCD-_uhBQ

Jim Becker
03-16-2017, 7:36 AM
The Big Orange Power Tool (Kubota tractor) does our clearing in the rare instance it's needed. Professor Dr. SWMBO reported that darling Stella only put down about 7-8", but it was wet and very heavy. Since I'm in central Florida dealing with a parental medical situation, I got to "miss" the fun and Professor Dr. SWMBO had to plow for the first time ever. She said it looks like a "drunken sailor" did it. :D (no offense to sailors intended ;) ) The primary driveway is 350' and the other one is 150'. Plus the parking areas. She only did the long one (less slope) and the neighbors are using it, too.

Bruce Wrenn
03-18-2017, 9:42 PM
With an average of only one snow all per year (2-10",) we let it melt. This usually occurs on the second or third day. Besides, drive is only 800' long, with the last 150' being up hill towards road, which isn't usually plowed before it melts either.