PDA

View Full Version : Ring Holder

Harry Pye
10-16-2005, 8:04 PM
This ring holder was taken directly from the designs of Bob Rosand in American Woodturner and his video. The body is Maple, part of a batch from John Hart and the flame is Paduak. It is fininshed with about six coats of lacquer and then buffed with the Bealle system.

Our club, Lehigh Valley Woodturners, has a President's Challenge. The current challenge is something to be used in the kitchen. This ring holder goes on the window sill over the sink. One or more rings can be dropped over the flame and on to the post. This way they won't get covered with soap scum or wind up going down the drain.

Should be a good item for gifts or craft shows. I showed it to my neighbor and she immediately ordered two, one for her daughter and the other for her daughter-in-law. Never even asked about a price.

I think the stem could be more graceful and the flame a bit longer. Comments please, both positive or negative.

Keith Burns
10-16-2005, 8:13 PM
I think overall it looks great ! I think the flame is perfect and the finish couldn't be better. The only thing is, like you said, the stem is a little to straight. I attened a two day seminar with Bob a couple of weeks ago and he said these sold like hotcakes. Think he said he gets $20 to $25 for them.

Michael Stafford
10-16-2005, 9:30 PM
Very attractive, Harry. I think many ladies will be interested in a pretty piece like that....:D

Loy Hawes
10-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Maybe try turning one to look more like a candle in a candle holder. Although, I do like the simplicity of this one.

Ernie Nyvall
10-16-2005, 10:11 PM
That looks great Harry. What is the diameter of the stem?

Ernie

Harry Pye
10-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Ernie,

Bob drills a 3/16" hole about 2" deep into the stem. When he finishes the bottom, he puts the same 3/16" bit in a chuck in the headstock and then slips to whole thing on to the drill. With a little extra twist the bit will bite into the wood securely enough to hold it while cleaning up the base.

Now that didn't answer your question. It is close to 1/2" at the flare just under the flame. It gets a bit slimmer as the stem approaches the base but remember there is already a 3/16" hole in there so you can't go too thin. He seems to feel that 1/2" is the largest the stem should be.

Hope this helps.

John Hart
10-17-2005, 6:33 AM
Very nice Harry!...Oh hey...I just had an idea...how 'bout a flame made out of yellowheart....or maybe flamed box elder!

Glenn Hodges
10-17-2005, 8:00 AM
Harry this is a combination of practicallity and beauty, and this is why women like them. I like the idea of a red flame on top, it should make it easier for someone to see, and it dresses it off so attractively. Thanks for the tip, and showing it to us.

Kurt Aebi
10-17-2005, 8:08 AM
Harry,

Great Job! Love the simplistic design and that finish is spectacular - like Glass!

I like it just the way you've done it.

Thanks for the inspiration and an idea for other things to turn!

Harry Pye
10-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Loy & John,

Two good ideas. Using either Yellowheart or Flamed Box Elder would be a good variation. And the idea of making it look like a candle is intriguing. It should be possible to use three different woods. Something dark like walnut for the base, a light wood, ash or basswood and then either Bicote, Yellowheart or Flamed Box Elder for the flame.

Thanks, you guys are full of good ideas. It is much better to get constructive criticism then just a comment that the piece looks nice.

Carole Valentine
10-17-2005, 12:10 PM
I like that much better than my ring holder, which is a miniature painted oil can! How is the weight on it, Harry? Just wondering if it will tip easily if you happen to brush it with a pot holder or something. I weighted my oil can with lead shot after knocking it and my rings into the sink one day! I suppose the same could be done with a wooden ring holder. Did you turn this on the DVR? :)

Dick Parr
10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Great job Harry. Looks like a nice item to make.:)

Harry Pye
10-18-2005, 9:48 AM
Carole, it is fairly stable but you can knock it over. Most of the weight is concentrated at the bottom. It doesn't have a real base. The bottom is dished out about 1/16" deep. Seems fairly stable.

No this wasn't done on the DVR, it was one of the last things I turned on the Delta Midi.