PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Gloat, many pics

Chris Barton
10-16-2005, 6:48 PM
Hi Everybody,

Its been a few days since I have posted but, I have been saving up. This week I got two new tools and my little girls turned a pen so, I have been saving up for Sunday.

First gloat, an new Grizzly G1014ZX 6/48 + 9 Blet disc sander. Attached are a few pictures of it and some of it's features. Bottom line, price right, great features, appears well made, works well and great base for more than $100 less than its nearest competitor.

Chris Barton
10-16-2005, 6:51 PM
More pics...

Chris Barton
10-16-2005, 6:52 PM
This is Lauren, my 7yo turning a pen...

Chris Barton
10-16-2005, 6:54 PM
And, here is my new Festool ATF55, which does come in a systainer...

Chris Barton
10-16-2005, 6:55 PM
More pics of the ATF55...

Chris Barton
10-16-2005, 6:57 PM
Last Pic of the ATF55...

Corey Hallagan
10-16-2005, 6:58 PM
Wow, great gloat for sure!! Excellent new tools and the daughter looks pretty comfortable with that chisel in her hand!!

Corey

Chris Barton
10-16-2005, 7:00 PM
So here is my brief review of the ATF55:

Very accurate

Odd shaped dust collection port as can be seen in picture

Hard to read depth of plunge limit setting as can be seen in picture, should be black on white or other high contrasting colors

I would prefer a left blade to motor placement over right but, not an option.

Crappy instructions with poor illustrations

Great blade included with saw

Nice riving knife (wish my tablesaw had one...)

Thanks for looking!

Christian Aufreiter
10-16-2005, 7:13 PM
Congrats, Chris, really nice tools! But I guess you're even more proud of your daughter. It's certainly a great pleasure to watch her turning.
BTW, as far as I know, the Odd shaped dust collection port (this black piece) is only used when the saw is NOT hooked up to a vac. A vac's suction hose is usually plugged directly into the ATF's dust port.
An improved manuel for the ATF 55 can be downloaded here (http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/ATF55E_circular_saw_manual.pdf). But hey, who reads manuals anyway?:rolleyes: ;)

Regards,

Christian

Ed Lang
10-16-2005, 7:27 PM
WOW!
You got many tools and a pen turner all in one weekend! I think the pen turner is the best part!!!

Chris Barton
10-16-2005, 7:30 PM
Thanks all, and Christian, if you look at the picture I posted of the dust port it is kind of oval in shape and all of the DC systems in USA are round. I am sure I can rig something up but, a round port would have been much easier...

Christian Aufreiter
10-16-2005, 7:37 PM
Thanks all, and Christian, if you look at the picture I posted of the dust port it is kind of oval in shape and all of the DC systems in USA are round. I am sure I can rig something up but, a round port would have been much easier...

Ooops, I thought you were referring to the black plastic/rubber piece. My mistake.

Regards,

Christian

Bob Marino
10-16-2005, 7:41 PM

Chris,

Festool's dc ports are configured to be optimal for each tool, most are rouns, a few oval and in the case of the ATF sort of a rounded rectangle. The adapter at the hose end is made to configure to whatever shape port on the tool.

Bob

Jim Becker
10-16-2005, 7:59 PM
Congrats on all, Chris, especially of the young lady with the tool in-hand! I hope she continues to enjoy turning...it's a wonderful way to be creative.

Dave Falkenstein
10-16-2005, 9:41 PM
So here is my brief review of the ATF55:

Crappy instructions with poor illustrations

Chris - Print the ATF55 manual that Rick Christopherson wrote:

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/ATF55E_circular_saw_manual.pdf

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Chris nice gloat. What a haul. Oh yea and a beautiful pen turner to boot. What a weekend! Huh. :)

John Hart
10-17-2005, 6:53 AM
I noticed that you disappeared for a while....thought you might be on a business trip...But nope...You were having fun!!!!:)

Dick Parr
10-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Congratulations on the new tools, but better yet on your daughters accomplishment on the lathe. But then she does have a pretty good teacher.;)

Congrats to both of you.:)

Michael Stafford
10-18-2005, 6:42 AM
Congrats on the all the tool gloats but I think your daughter at the lathe is best thing going!!!! I know when I finally talked my son into turning some pens was one of the most fun days of our lives. Hopefully your daughter will have turning as a hobby for life!!!:D

Mark Kelly
10-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Wow, I was a little shocked to learn that a 7 year old was using the lathe! Obviously you are not worried about kids with powertools? I was just curious how you got her started so young without worrying about it?

I have a 6 year old who desperately wants to use my powertools, but I have to get over my fears first! Of course, I would never let him use them by himself until he is, uh, 25. :)

Dan Stuewe
10-18-2005, 4:07 PM
Very cool gloats. As another father of a seven year old red head girl, you've got me thinking about seeing if she wants to play. I don't think she is ready yet (especially with a skew chisel). But maybe it won't be too far away (just need a stand for her).

Chris Barton
10-18-2005, 4:52 PM
Thanks again to everybody regarding the gloats. Now, about the young lady and use of power tools. First, she has been allowed to use, under direct supervision, a scroll saw and a mini lathe. All the usual safety satndards apply. Only hand tool she has used in conjunction with the lathe is the roughing gouge, which works perfect for slimline pens. Dad is always watching like a hawk...

Jack Hogoboom
10-18-2005, 6:04 PM
Chris,

Looks like she's got great technique. I like the way her finger is up against the tool rest to guide the gouge. I keep trying to get my kids to do that, but they shy away from getting that close to the rest.

I think I could learn a few things from her.....

Jack

Frank Pellow
10-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks again to everybody regarding the gloats. Now, about the young lady and use of power tools. First, she has been allowed to use, under direct supervision, a scroll saw and a mini lathe. All the usual safety satndards apply. Only hand tool she has used in conjunction with the lathe is the roughing gouge, which works perfect for slimline pens. Dad is always watching like a hawk...
Chris, congratulations on the tools and even more congratulations on introducing your daughter to woodworking in the manner that you have done.

I am a firm believer that children should be introduced to appropriate power tools as soon as possible and you seem to have chosen a good set of tools for her. I plan to introduce my granddaughter to my scroll saw in about 6 months (when she is 6).

Chris Barton
10-19-2005, 7:50 AM
Hi Frank,

The scroll saw was the first power tool I allowed her to use. In my opinion, it may be the safest tool (powered or otherwise) you can use. I put a spiral extra fine blade on it and let her cut Xmast ornaments out with it. The spiral bit is so fine that you can touch it while under power without injury (but, I didn't tell her that). She really enjoyed drawing shapes on scrap wood and then cutting them out on the scroll saw. Quarter inch ply is her favorite since it cuts easy and I have an abundance of it. Anytime you can get you kids to enjoy an activity with you, you win...