PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Tire Out-of-round ?

Ray Selinger
03-13-2017, 1:17 PM
Just how much is going to cause problems ? After replacing the tires with neoprene ones the I noticed the bottom one wasn't looking even. So I checked with a dial indicator and found a .010" discrepancy . I know the bottom wheel is right, <.001 out. My experience with urethane tires hasn't been positive, the ones I bought from a Delta service center( remember Delta service) were lumpy and the Carter ones were way too thin. The bandsaw is a 14" Beaver #3300. I'm guessing it was made after WW2 but before 1949, so I'll call it 1947. I've had it since '72.

lowell holmes
03-13-2017, 3:30 PM
Where did you buy the tires? I bought some from Rockler in Houston and they are good. I had to boil them in order to stretch them when I put them on. They have lasted longer than the ones that came on my 14" Jet band saw. They are urethane tires.

Van Huskey
03-13-2017, 4:33 PM
You may try running a dowel or the shank of a screwdriver around the wheel under the tire to even out the stretch.

BTW that is a cool bandsaw, one big aluminum casting and spun wheels, one of my favorite little saws!! I am always on the lookout for one but you don't see them often, or at all, this far south of the border.

Ray Selinger
03-13-2017, 4:34 PM
The blue Carter ones were from Lee Valley, the neoprene ones were King brand ( think Jet quality level, a step up from Grizzly) were from KMS .Tire thickness is critical on these bandsaws' guides. I just threw out a fairly new band thanks to the Carter tires.

I rolled a round bar around them 2 or 3 times to even them out before gluing them.