PDA

View Full Version : Decided On This Tool Rack

Steve Mathews
03-12-2017, 11:15 PM
I spent a little time this afternoon searching for ideas on a woodturning tool rack. The video below shows essentially what I plan to build tomorrow. The reasons for selecting this design are ...

It's simple - meaning I can probably do it
Makes efficient use of materials
Sloped bottom shelf to allow wood chips to fall through and lock tools in position - I would've never thought of of it.
Just so happens I have the materials on hand

I'll probably make it a little wider to accommodate more tools but will hold to the overall design idea. Kudos to Eric Burke, the gentleman behind the design and video, which is also excellent. If anyone has any ideas on how to improve on the design I'm all ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ_J61V0jyw

Doug W Swanson
03-12-2017, 11:43 PM
I've got two very similar to that. Very easy to make and I made mine with a bunch of scrap pieces.

Craig Cassinat
03-13-2017, 12:55 AM
Mine is like that except I have a shelf underneath for my chuck, extra jaws or whatever I need.

Olaf Vogel
03-13-2017, 3:51 AM
Mine is like that except I have a shelf underneath for my chuck, extra jaws or whatever I need.

Also works well inside a drawer, under the lathe.

John Keeton
03-13-2017, 5:20 AM
The racks can be more shallow than shown. Check out these threads - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?172397-Hanging-Turning-Tool-Roll

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?137514-Lathe-Tool-Racks/page2

daryl moses
03-13-2017, 8:05 AM
Great looking tool rack. You've inspired me!

Thom Sturgill
03-13-2017, 9:58 AM
I have three similar racks on the ends of a workbench behind me when turning. Two hold shorter spindle tools on one end with the least used ones on the bottom. the other end holds longer scrapers. I built these about 5 years ago and they do work well. They are based on pool cue racks, if I recall.

Since then I built a rolling (mistake) rack that holds hollowing tools on one side and bowl gouges on the other. It has sloping sides so that the tools simply rest against notches and are easier to grab (and fall out when the cart rolls). This was inspired by Lyle Jameison who has a similar rack on his wall. Having multiples of each gouge, he sharpens in batches and turns a gouge that has been used upside down so he can tell at a glance is he has a sharp tool for that final cut.

Steve Mathews
03-13-2017, 10:02 AM
The racks can be more shallow than shown. Check out these threads - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?172397-Hanging-Turning-Tool-Roll

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?137514-Lathe-Tool-Racks/page2

John - I like it! Two can be built from about the same amount of materials and the rack doesn't stick out as far from the wall. A winner on both counts. Are the plans you talk about in the first link the same as what is provided in the second? If not, can I get yours sent to me?

Dave Mueller
03-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Very similar to mine. The only difference is storage in the doors and the top part of the tool holder is a hole instead of a half hole. As Thom mentions above, it keeps tools from falling out, especially in the door part.

Jon McElwain
03-13-2017, 5:42 PM
Like John said, I built mine with a more shallow rack. The purpose of the sloped board on the bottom is twofold: One is to hold the tool in place as the bottom of the tool slides down the slope, and the other is to keep shavings from piling up on the shelf. I built mine with a 45 degree slope to aid in both of these purposes. I also built mine in two sections, one for tall tools up to about 3' long, and one for the majority of tools which are shorter.

Like others said, I built in a lower shelf for chucks and my sandpaper bins.

Dave Lehnert
03-13-2017, 6:22 PM
My lathe tool rack. 355976

John Keeton
03-13-2017, 7:29 PM
Here is the PDF that includes pics of the tool racks by Jeff Wright and Dan Forman, as well as a couple of pics of my tool racks.

Steve Mathews
03-13-2017, 7:51 PM
John - Thanks for the follow-up. I got a little impatient and already constructed one rack before noticing your latest post. I instead used the dimensions from Rich Aldrich. I see now that it wasn't necessary to use the deeper frame. It works just fine at the 3" depth. I made mine 36" wide with a space for 18 tools. The only thing I would change is use solid pieces for the 2 cutout sections. The 3/4" plywood I used didn't like being cut up that much and it split at the ends where it was fastened to the side panels. Here's a pic of the one I completed today. I'll probably make another one the same size and install it directly below the first one.

Dave - I really like your idea of placing the rack in a cabinet. I would also like to do something similar to that for storing hand planes, etc in another part of the shop. But that will have to wait until my skills improve.

Steve Mathews
03-13-2017, 11:12 PM
Pieces for another rack were cut later in the day. This time I made the sides a little longer for a shelf below as recommended by others. I didn't do it with the first rack thinking that it would defeat one of the purposes of having the slanted lower section. In other words, the shelf would be a chip collector. I'll give a try and see how it works out. I'll assemble and install it tomorrow with pics to follow.

Steve Peterson
03-14-2017, 3:03 PM
I have a somewhat similar rack above my lathe. His was built for a set if Benjamin's Best tools that have mostly the same size handles. I started like that, but then acquired a few tools with larger sized handles. I had to enlarge a few of the cutouts using a handheld drum sander. I would recommend starting out with a few larger sized holes on one end and possibly a few smaller holes at the other end.

Steve

Steve Mathews
03-14-2017, 6:02 PM
Hopefully I haven't worn this topic out but here are a few pics of the second rack build, the one with the bottom shelf. The design (not mine) works well to hold the tools. I was surprised that it did a good job regardless of the tool size. The bottom shelf is a nice addition but it remains to be seen whether it's a chip collector. While loading the racks and shelf I thought it might be a good idea to incorporate a few holes in the shelf to accommodate a drill chuck, etc.. I'll probably modify what I have for now and eventually build something more permanent like the enclosed cabinet idea mentioned earlier. This was a fun little project.

356098 356099

David Delo
03-14-2017, 7:54 PM
That sure is one beautiful lathe Steve. Probably my favorite looking machine out there. One thing about making racks or some other type of container to store lathe chisels is you never make enough slots or holes to put everything in 1 place (at least for me anyway). Seems like I'm always swapping, bartering, selling or buying new tools and they never fit into the empty slot. Or if you get an 2 piece tool with a long handle it's too long to fit in the empty place you wanted it to go. Anyway, I like your racks except not a fan of having stuff on the backside of the lathe. Just too much temptation to reach over instead of walking around the lathe. For me, every type of tool used on the lathe is located behind me. Only reason for me to be on the backside is to release the lever to move the headstock. Just my opinion.

John Keeton
03-14-2017, 8:18 PM
David, Steve can speak to this, but it appears the tools are far enough behind and to the sides of the lathe that he will need to step around the lathe to access them. He may not have any other available options.

Steve Mathews
03-14-2017, 9:22 PM
David - Thanks for the caution about not reaching over the lathe to grab a tool. John is correct though. The lathe was placed far enough away from the wall to allow the Gary Sanders light stand full movement. The tools are not within my arms reach over the lathe. I have to walk around the lathe to the racks. I'm still quite new to laying out a shop and frankly just arbitrarily placed the lathe in its current position. There were a number of places it could've gone. The thought that went into locating the racks was equally unremarkable. I recall seeing a picture of it like that so that's what I did. Everything in the shop is a work in progress and I'm sure will change as I gain more experience. In fact, after your comment I may just move one of the racks to an adjacent wall closer to my mobile grinding station. Thinking as I'm typing.

Richard Flinn
03-14-2017, 9:36 PM
Looks very useful for a variety of things. Nice rack man

David Delo
03-15-2017, 11:05 AM
David - Thanks for the caution about not reaching over the lathe to grab a tool. John is correct though. The lathe was placed far enough away from the wall to allow the Gary Sanders light stand full movement. The tools are not within my arms reach over the lathe. I have to walk around the lathe to the racks. I'm still quite new to laying out a shop and frankly just arbitrarily placed the lathe in its current position. There were a number of places it could've gone. The thought that went into locating the racks was equally unremarkable. I recall seeing a picture of it like that so that's what I did. Everything in the shop is a work in progress and I'm sure will change as I gain more experience. In fact, after your comment I may just move one of the racks to an adjacent wall closer to my mobile grinding station. Thinking as I'm typing.

Steve,

The old adage of ask 12 turners a question and get 15 different answers certainly applies to machine lay-out. Against the wall, not against a wall, diagonal to a corner or out in the open. Most of us face challenges of trying to optimize a turning work area to the work space available to us. Some people can start from scratch and build a new space without having to compromise any details and that's great. I'm not in that situation being in a basement shop so some things like ceiling height and floor levelness have their challenges.

Here's a couple pics of my setup area in a 11' x 11' footprint . This is about my 200th rendition and have kind of settled in with this configuration. Air and vacuum units are located in a 6' x 12' room behind the door with the hollowing rig hanging on it. Except for the items hanging on the pegboard, all chucks & accessory items get put in drawers in the tool cabinets.

Here's a link to a pdf the AAW published on setting up a turning woodshop back in 2014. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.woodturner.org/resource/resmgr/FUNdamentals/WFSpEdWorkstation20150903.pdf

(http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.woodturner.org/resource/resmgr/FUNdamentals/WFSpEdWorkstation20150903.pdf)

Joe Bradshaw
03-15-2017, 2:59 PM
Steve, I have my 2436 setup so that the tool rack is behind me when I am turning. I use the same type of tool rack as you. I like the rack because I can make a half turn to replace or grab a different tool. Your turning space looks as if you could turn your lathe 180 degrees. As always, YMMV.
Joe

Mike Goetzke
03-15-2017, 5:08 PM
When I first saw this post I was just interested in making a rack or two. Now after seeing David's work area I need to rearrange my shop again! I'm fighting with space issues in a garage shop that my wife still needs to park her car in. Plus, I started turning late in my woodworking hobbyist career and have several large flatwork machines (BS, DP, 60gal. compressor, planer, TS, RT, jointer, SCMS ...).

Steve - what is that red cast looking thing up on the wall to the left side of your lathe?

Mike

Steve Mathews
03-15-2017, 5:44 PM
....Steve - what is that red cast looking thing up on the wall to the left side of your lathe?

Mike

That's the back side of a Jeep CJ grille.

Steve Mathews
03-15-2017, 6:00 PM
It didn't take long for changes to be made. After reading Setting Up Your Woodturning Workstation and comments from Dave I moved both racks to the sides. I also made a bottom shelf for the first rack and bored some holes in it to receive a drill chuck, etc. Now, when I move to my dominant side rack I get a view (pic below) of my back yard if one of the Mister Ed doors are open.

David Delo
03-15-2017, 6:43 PM
Quite a view Steve.