PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 325 bandsaw guide bearings

John C Cox
03-12-2017, 1:54 PM
Hey guys

One of the bottom guide bearings on my Rikon 325 14" bandsaw keeps locking up from too much junk inside of it. Apparently they are just a standard pattern roller skate bearing.

What are you guys using to replace these bearings when they take a dump?

I swapped it out with a higher quality bearing from a local skate shop.. But it seems to swallow more junk then before. Seems like the issue with "good" skate bearings is that their seals aren't real good - seals drag.. And that makes for slower skates...

Thanks

Van Huskey
03-12-2017, 5:34 PM
Hey guys

One of the bottom guide bearings on my Rikon 325 14" bandsaw keeps locking up from too much junk inside of it. Apparently they are just a standard pattern roller skate bearing.

What are you guys using to replace these bearings when they take a dump?

I swapped it out with a higher quality bearing from a local skate shop.. But it seems to swallow more junk then before. Seems like the issue with "good" skate bearings is that their seals aren't real good - seals drag.. And that makes for slower skates...

Thanks

That is the rub (no pun intended, or maybe I did intend it) with bandsaw guides using bearings. If you use sealed bearings it takes more to turn them and increases friction on the band but shielded bearings get packed up with sawdust, especially the ones on the bottom. Most use double shielded bearings and ultimately have to be viewed as a wear item and will need to be cleaned or replaced on a regular basis. As you have found "better" is not necessarily better in this application as bearings with higher tolerances (like found in some ceramic ball bearings) pack up quicker. You can pick the bearings up on eBay in lots or places like VXB which also sell them cheap, no need to seek out the highest quality. You should be able to find them for under $20 for 10 shipped.

You can also pop out the shields and clean them out or soak them in solvent which will usually get some more mileage out of them.

Personally, I would get the ceramic block replacement set from Spaceageceramics for about $75 and never have to worry about bearings packing up again.

Curt Harms
03-13-2017, 7:38 PM
I didn't know about the replacement ceramic guides, I may check those out. I replaced the side bearings, first with wood guides and currently with Corian. I thought before doing the replacement that the side blocks would want to rotate, having only one screw in them. That doesn't seem to be an issue. I prefer blocks especially for narrower blades. I don't see a way to replace the back (thrust?) bearing except with the ceramic set.