PDA

View Full Version : Freud p410 / sharpening

Rick Johnston
03-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Before sending it out I read that these are different blades and not the typical effort. I called the sharpening service and talked to the owner. It's like - oh yeah no problem etc.
I look for Freud certified and not one in the area. (Cheyenne wy. - Denver is close enough)

I talk to someone in Denver who was Freud certified as I recall - this was a year ago. They kinda blew me off as I think they were served the commercial/industrial market.

So I used the local lumberyard service that picks up blades.

There were sharpening marks where you could see the top of the alternating tooth were hit. It just didn't seem like it cut anywhere near as well as new. Are there other edges to sharpen? The blade had not been abused.

Before I buy another - I'd like to know if my blade has been compromised and/or if these are problematic unless you have a certified Freud service.

scott spencer
03-12-2017, 11:49 AM
As long as there is sufficient carbide remaining, and they didn't mess up the side geometry, a good sharpener should be able to restore the top angle and face to original specs. I know nothing about "Freud certified" sharpeners, but know that Scott Whiting in Glendale, AZ., Dynamic Saw Blade in Buffalo, NY., Forrest and Ridge Carbide are all reputable.