PDA

View Full Version : Back pack shop vac's any good

Bill Dufour
03-11-2017, 11:38 PM
At my school district the custodians use back pack vacuums for general cleaning. I see some are made and claim to be shop vacs. Any one have any experience. I would suppose the smaller wearable ones must fill up fast. Not sure about the hose size.
Bill D.
PS: I understand only the USA and Britain use upright home vacs the rest of the world uses the more logical canister vac.

matt romanowski
03-12-2017, 10:00 AM
I have a ProTeam vacuum for the house (probably the same as the custodians). I'm not sure I would use it for a shop vac, but it's a great vacuum. I bought it after seeing the wood floor guys using it to clean up before applying finish.

Gail Ludwig
03-12-2017, 11:09 AM
I had one for house use for years. Like you, I saw it at school and thought it looked perfect for the house. After using it at our home for about 10 years, I finally gave up and sold it on Craigslist. Why? The stupid hose is long and swings around as you are vacuuming. I broke bowls, glasses, pictures on the wall - lots of items when the hose pivoted around and "caught" things. Also, It also looks easy to handle --but putting it on my back and dragging around a long cord was not the best. Finally gave it up and bought a Dyson. Much better choice for the house. I do think the backpack vac's would be good for large open areas - like schools and gyms. If you want to use it in your shop or house - beware!!

Ben Rivel
03-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Funny, I had never heard of a backpack vacuum before.

Nick Decker
03-12-2017, 1:58 PM
The backpack vac might work OK, but strapping the Dust Deputy onto it? I don't think so.

John K Jordan
03-12-2017, 8:51 PM
Don't know about "shop" vac versions. I have this backpack vacuum and I like it - light weight, lots of suction, long cord. I use it in the house and on (fairly rare) occasion in the shop. (It gets things cleaner than I normally keep them!) It doesn't fill up quickly since I only use if for stuff I missed with the bigger vac - a long hose connected by blast gate to my cyclone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7IE7R4

JKJ