PDA

View Full Version : EZcad just crashed again-

Kev Williams
03-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Been okay for a few days, just now called up an old job, 4 lines of text on the end of a suppressor tube, was moving text into position and getting ready to change the S/N and poof...

Here's a screenshot of the crash screen, plus a second of the lower window to show all the details in case someone can read memory address gibberish! ;)

355872 355873

Another problem has been occurring lately too, happened again last night, and it creates a worse situation than the crashes... Last night I was engraving 4 identical items, about 2x2", each has like 24 words (which is not EZcad text but imported from a DXF) and a couple of simple graphics. EZcad acts like these are huge photos or something. It takes quite a bit of time to jog all four at once, example, my jog distance is .1mm, and if I hit the jog 5 times quick, it takes like 2 or 3 seconds for them to finish moving. Anyway, just during the act of jogging I get a "OUT OF MEMORY!" error- And when that happens, not only am I dead in the water with what I'm doing, if the job is, or was, saved on the computer, then the saved job is toast too... This would've been a 30+ minute waste of time to rework the text back to 'fiber-able' from my original tool engraving job, but fortunately I had a 2-up job saved. But the 4-up job is gone. File is still in the folder, but it's blank... Why would an out of memory error corrupt the job file, and why am I getting an error anyway? Computer has 4gigs of ram and other Corel on standby, nothing else is running.

And while I'm thinking about it, many times when hatch filling with the 'fast' hatch, there will be several lines that run from one point in the text/graphic to another point a half mile away--these are lines that should be disconnected! And it's not just an on screen drawing error, the errant lines WILL engrave. Anyone else ever get that?

And finally (I hope) I just also remembered, the laptop has gone down with at least 2 bluescreen crashes since July- But hey, it's Windows, so not like that's a big stretch ;)

The laptop came with the software loaded. I have a CD with 'Triumph Laser' written on it by me, but to be honest I'm not sure if it's the actual disc they sent me or a copy I made, however, it's a Sony CD-R disc, and all mine are 'no-name' things. The laptop doesn't have a CD drive, so if I recopy the program to the laptop I'll have to do it over the network or copy the CD to a flash drive. Or I can just run the program from another computer via the network.

Could all this BS be my laptop is bogus or maybe the program file is corrupted? Computer logs show the crashes and a few minor things, In the grand scheme of things it's not a HUGE deal, but it's getting to be more than a little annoying...

>edit< - turns out the disc I found is for the big blue dumpster, NOT the fiber ... :)

Neville Stewart
03-11-2017, 10:48 PM
If by " fast hatch " you mean uninterrupted line, that is great for area clearing but if you have vectors in the middle the software tries to optmise its travel and very poorly, it will jump all over. You're better off using the interrupted hatch. We can thank Mr Gary Hair for that gem.

John Kleiber
03-12-2017, 12:16 AM
If you've gone through my suggestions and others, and nothing works, scuttle the ship. Move your program to stronger pc or buy a fresh computer.

As a practical matter, how much of your own time and acid in your stomach will you waste messing with this issue? Not to mention how much of OPS, other peoples stuff, will you risk by continuing?

-John

Kev Williams
03-12-2017, 1:28 AM
So the screwy random connected lines aren't just on my unit, check... :) good to know.

But I'll never understand computer memory. Way back in 1981 while waiting on the Concept 2000 to finish an engraving job, I was writing a craps program for the Apple IIe that the computer would play itself once I started it. It would make bets based on wins and losses. It worked great too, except for one thing, it would run for about 20 minutes, then it would just stop- and the error code was 'out of memory'. I could never figure out how to make it run indefinitely. And I'm still using my DOS version of Casmate daily. It too runs into memory walls. If I try to hatch fill too many things at once for example, some won't fill, or it'll abort and tell me "not enough memory!". Just being left on for several hours, the coordinates gauge at the bottom will stop moving, and after awhile longer it will go blank. Pretty soon the cursor becomes invisible. I just have to shut the program down and restart it, and all is well until it runs out of memory again. Even my Corel x4 can't be left on indefinitely. Sometimes it takes days, but it WILL eventually start acting stupid, and then a dialog window says "a necessary resource "... it won't even display the complete error message. But once it happens, I'm at the mercy of the backup files.

I just don't understand the memory walls, why they happen, etc... yet Windows will run forever.. ?

yada yada... I have a Dell that runs great, with a 64bit Win7 Enterprise OS, I've already tried it with the fiber so I know it'll work, so I'll get that swapped in and see if things work better. I can always use the laptop as a digital picture frame ;)

Bill George
03-12-2017, 9:09 AM
Kev as I recall that was a Chinese laptop with a counterfeit or so you suspected Windows system. Dump the whole works and start over with a different laptop. I have a old Lenovo in the shop and even the newer one, both Windows 7 and I can not remember when was the last time either crashed.

Scott Shepherd
03-12-2017, 9:29 AM
Bad memory module? There are some memory testing programs out there, I'd run one of those and see if anything pops up.

John Kleiber
03-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Bad memory module? There are some memory testing programs out there, I'd run one of those and see if anything pops up.

Try running the following...

perfmon /report

or

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Kev Williams
03-12-2017, 6:13 PM
ran the windows diagnostic- last time I looked it was running and 'no problems found yet'. The screen said it would reboot the computer when done and give me report when I logged on.

It was probably 2 hours after I started the diag that I noticed the computer back up and running-- but no report.