PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Source

Gregg Vaughn
03-11-2017, 10:33 AM
A few yeas ago I found a source on the Creeek for 1/8" thick X 12" long X 5 1/2" wide hardwood (walnut, maple, mahogany). I looked back through prior posts, but do not find whre I got them from. Anyone have a source?

Chris Schoenthal
03-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Unless you need a lot of it, when I need something like that, I just go to Rocklers or Woodcraft.

Mike Null
03-11-2017, 11:29 AM
George Perzel is the guy. I've bought several orders of his wood and have been very pleased with it.

https://www.laserarts.net/

Matt McCoy
03-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Another recommendation for Mr. Perzel here.

Chris Schoenthal
03-11-2017, 12:35 PM
So how does his price (with shipping) compare to Rockler?

Keith Downing
03-11-2017, 12:48 PM
So how does his price (with shipping) compare to Rockler?

Shipping has been the killer every time I've ordered wood online/mail order. It's hard to beat local pricing that way, unless you just don't have any options where you are located; or you're trying to get something that is rare. Just my $.02.

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2017, 1:01 PM
So how does his price (with shipping) compare to Rockler?I haven't bought from him in awhile, but at the time, even with shipping, he was way cheaper than Rockler.

And I certainly haven't noticed Rockler's prices coming down any lately.

David Somers
03-11-2017, 6:54 PM
Rockler and Woodcraft tend to be at the high end for wood like that. I only use them if I want to actually see something first hand before buying. Or if I am caught by a lack of planning on my part.

I never did use George Pezel I am afraid. To be honest, I forgot all about him each time I got wood. (I now have a sticky on my monitor so I hopefully wont forget him) In those instances I used Ocoochhardwoods.com and found them reasonable. Certainly less than Rockler. As I remember now though, George's prices were better yet. Plus you are supporting a fellow SMC'er!! <grin>

Dave

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2017, 7:52 PM
Rockler and Woodcraft tend to be at the high end for wood like that. I only use them if I want to actually see something first hand before buying. Or if I am caught by a lack of planning on my part.
As I recall, George just does maple, oak, and walnut (and maybe one other that I can't remember), resawn from end-cuts he gets from a local flooring manufacturer. Rocker/Woodcraft have a bunch of exotics in 1/8" and 1/4", but it's usually only 3"-4" wide.

Jim Coffee
03-11-2017, 8:49 PM
Colorado Heirloom should be able to do this for you.

Mike Null
03-12-2017, 8:34 AM
George also has mahogany. His is rough sanded and unfinished.

Gene Uselman
03-12-2017, 1:02 PM
Ocooch Hardwoods is good. www.ocoochhardwoods.com

Don Corbeil
03-12-2017, 1:29 PM
George also has mahogany. His is rough sanded and unfinished.

Mike, I've never seen mahogany on his list, and I've purchased from him several times. Are you sure it wasn't brazilian cherry (jatoba)? I know that's his other selection, which I have tried.

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2017, 1:47 PM
Mike, I've never seen mahogany on his list, and I've purchased from him several times. Are you sure it wasn't brazilian cherry (jatoba)? I know that's his other selection, which I have tried.
Could well be, but I only bought it the one time, ages ago. Whatever it was cut a lot harder than the other three, and mahogany usually isn't a problem for me.

Kev Williams
03-12-2017, 2:40 PM
We have a Macbeath's hardwood here in town, they have a few more places in California and one in Indiana-

I don't do much wood, the only thing I've ever bought from them is alder veneer to make business cards from,
but the place is impressive, and everyone I've ever steered to them has called me back to thank me, so maybe check them out... :)

http://www.macbeath.com/

Don Corbeil
03-12-2017, 6:47 PM
Could well be, but I only bought it the one time, ages ago. Whatever it was cut a lot harder than the other three, and mahogany usually isn't a problem for me.

I'm guessing it is the jatoba - It is incredibly hard to cut. Just tried cutting one of his jatoba thins the other day, at 90 power and 0.5 speed, and still didn't go all the way through.

Robert Bonenfant
03-12-2017, 6:49 PM
What state are you from - We have several cool places to get wood Semi - Local in Ohio at good prices. Keim Lumber has good prices in store but they dont have the 1/8 listed online.
http://www.keimlumber.com/exoticdimensionlumber

Greg Vaughn
03-14-2017, 7:33 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the information ...

Mike Null
03-15-2017, 6:19 AM
I don't have time at the moment to check my inventory--it's not really organized. Maybe George will chime in. I'm not betting any money on mahogany--just thought that was part of my order.

Jim Tobias
03-15-2017, 12:22 PM
I have bought from this vendor before.
ebaycom/itm/MULTIPAK-27-KILN-DRIED-SANDED-THIN-WALNUT-CHERRY-ASH-12-X-3-X-1-8-/252499334414?
Jim