PDA

View Full Version : Happiness is a New Tool

Kris Cook
03-10-2017, 9:47 PM
OK - not a huge purchase but always nice to get a new tool, particularly a well-made one and still manufactured in the US. It will reside in my left apron pocket and my kids will be able to use it when I am gone.

Starrett C33H-6-4R Combination Square

-Kris-

Bill Houghton
03-10-2017, 9:50 PM
When you say "new" - brand spankin' new, or new to you? Either way, good find. I find myself using the 6" squares more than the 12" in shop; out doing carpentry, the 12" is the standard tool.

David Eisenhauer
03-10-2017, 10:15 PM
I like it, but I have been lusting after a 4" adjustable square. Nice for checking shoulders, mortise walls, tenon cheeks, etc.

Jerry Olexa
03-10-2017, 11:38 PM
That is a good 'un...

Patrick Walsh
03-11-2017, 7:53 AM
Love my Sterrett tools.

And i could not agree more happiness is a new tool. Complete elation coupled with immense satisfaction is the perfect execution of said task helped along with such tool. At least for me that is.

I was actually just going through my shop last night looking for yard sale items to fund the purchase of some new tools lol..

I noticed all my Sterret boxes, "i keep them" and i though those are some of my favorite tools and better purchases i have made. Not a chance i ever ever sell them.

george wilson
03-11-2017, 8:41 AM
I have been lucky enough to acquire my Starrett stuff many years ago at the flea markets in Pennsylvania. One time I made 3 or 4 small planes from boxwood. Violin maker size. Just a simple cross bar with a wedge. Neatly made, but nothing I thought outstanding. I showed them to a dealer, who had a Gerstner tool chest full of machinist's tools, and he offered me a complete Starrett 12" combination square outfit with protractor, square head, and 45º head, plus a 6" Starrett as shown here. All were older made, but in new condition. I still have them!

I was very surprised, needless to say as I didn't have a lot of time or effort in the little planes. They must have been thought very collectible, though. At least,he seemed to think so. I went away very happy!:) It was what he offered, no haggling! I did not represent them as antiques. Told him right away that I'd made them.

Another time I made up 6 pump drills. This was in the 70's I could really turn those things out like pancakes back then. Now, it takes me forever! Why is that? They aren't real hard to make, nor do they take heavy lifting. Even made them on as Sears Atlas metal lathe! Getting old sure slows me down!!!

I do have a picture of them I'll post. I had them sticking up out of my back pack and sold every one of them to guys who just saw them walking by, and wanted one!! $75.00 each ! Paid for the whole trip and I can't recall, but most of what I bought, too!

That was the last time I took tools to sell or trade, but perhaps I should have ! I may have been busy making tools for collectors on order. The Early American Industries Association had been to Williamsburg a few times, and had gotten to know me.

Those were the days: I remember buying a like new pre WWII set of 12 Addis carving tools. No rust at all. I still have them. Might have been on the same trip. They were $75.00. I still like my Pfiels better,both in the accuracy of their construction,finish, and their performance. We are fortunate that such a company still exists, turning out such excellent carving tools. I encourage you to get some while you still can (I know nothing of their fiscal health, but companies disappear so fast these days, or go Chinese)

Now, when I went up there a few years ago, there was nothing I wanted. Every thing seems to be on Ebay. Ebay has replaced those huge flea markets, and is a cheaper way for those traveling outdoor dealers to sell stuff. I think they must have lived like gypsies during the Summer season. Many had campers, awnings, etc.. Some, the ever present Volkswagen busses.

Here's the 6 pump drills. Pretty fancy ones, too. You can't see it, but every one was different in the little moldings. Doesn't show in the poor pictures (which are converted from slides). I made them with lots of little moldings turned in the steel and brass parts. Just made them like that because I enjoyed the work, and had the energy. I don't know what a 1970's $75.00 translates to now, but my rent was about $150.00 a month at that time, for a smallish museum owned house.

I'll agree with the OP: Happiness is a new tool!!:) Or a good antique one!!!

Frederick Skelly
03-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Congratulations Kris! I have the 12". I never regretted the extra cost of Starrett for my primary square. Or the Woodpecker square I have but dont use as much. Both give me high confidence.

Fred

glenn bradley
03-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Love a little combo square. I moved to double squares but, the general idea (and the joy in having) is the same. Congrats for many years to come.

Kris Cook
03-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Yes - brand new.

Cool stories George.

I have a 4" double-square made by Pinnacle that resides in my right apron pocket (I am left-handed). It is my go to for most things. I like it a lot although it tends to move on me if I don't crank it down good. I will likely replace it with a Starrett some where along the way.

I will be keeping my Starrett boxes as well - only two so far :)

-Kris-

george wilson
03-12-2017, 9:53 AM
You guys keep your RED Starrett boxes out of well lit or sunny places. Their red fades about as bad as any other tool boxes I have ever seen. Red is always a fugitive color anyway.

I had a fire engine red Sunbeam Alpine back in the 60's. bought it used cheap. The red paint was chalky. I spent 24 hours HAND polishing the whole car with rubbing compounds. It shone like a jelly bean for about a few months,then went back to the chalky color again! What a waste of time that was!!

lowell holmes
03-12-2017, 11:42 AM
I have two 12" Starrett combination squares that I cherish. I also have a Lee Valley apron square that I value.

A pop wood home made square . . . .............

The list does on,:)

Jason Ost
03-12-2017, 10:40 PM
This thread was just the inspiration I needed. Ordered one tonight to replace the blue one that give me angles somewhere around 90 and 45.

Kris Cook
03-13-2017, 12:18 AM
Nice!

-Kris-

michael langman
03-13-2017, 12:11 PM
This post reminds me of a trip to Keene, N.H., I made when just starting out as a machinist. I was walking through the Sears Tool Department, and was picking up and examining the various hand tools.
I saw this 12 Oz. ball peen hammer hanging up there all alone and it had the beauty and gracefulness of a fine ballet dancer. Not like those clubby looking ball peen hammers you see today. I picked it up to check the balance in my hand and could not hang it back up.The hickory handle was gracefully shaped just right, to fit the hand, making using it such a natural feeling. I walked around with it for like 30 minutes, and spent my last 12.00 on it. Being unemployed at the time I gave no thought to it. That hammer was used day after day, for many years, and is hanging in my cellar now, over my tool bench, waiting for the next machinist to come along and buy it.