PDA

View Full Version : LP vinyl art

stan kern
03-09-2017, 8:57 PM
There seems to be a big interest in cutting old scratched up LP records into art and clocks
thought I would give it a try so I did 5
Also some comments about the vinyl cutting not good for the laser optics so I am checking
ventilation wise I should be ok as mine is vented outside via a10 foot stack well spread in the air
Its quite hard to edit leaving the image behind , I am used to cutting an image or object out, you end up
running lots of simulations before the real cut

https://youtu.be/hi1_NwXoP3I record art

Joe Pelonio
03-09-2017, 9:26 PM
While the fumes are toxic, they also corrode the inside of your machine. I have seen what cutting vinyl does to a laser and it's not pretty. I would not try it, they are made of PVC. You may see signs of corrosion by tomorrow, but maybe will be lucky.

John Lifer
03-09-2017, 9:50 PM
The only way I'd do this is with a very cheap eBay laser that I would cut as many as fast as I could with the machine in a very open. And ventilated location. Very well ventilated! And I'd probably figure a way to wash down the machine as much as possible..... Think heating up chlorine bleach and soaking machine with it. Rust out quick!

Steve Morris
03-10-2017, 4:28 AM
Pretty sure your local regs don't allow venting chlorine gas to atmosphere for very good reason.
Also the Hydrochloric acid created by combination with airborne moisture will eat your machine at some point.
It is a pity as they could be used to make some great products.

stan kern
03-10-2017, 9:25 AM
I hear all the reports and will stop and examine the laser parts. I also have contacted the laser supplier to ask about cutting these records.
Its a shame as they cut so well

stan kern
03-10-2017, 10:14 AM
I checked the laser this morning and its ok mind you I only did 5 records , the supplier said I would have to increase the interval of cleaning the mirrors which I do often anyway
and wipe down the rails .(which I did)
He said the toxic fumes are more serious ( I am ventilated to a roof)
Anyway this is not going to far as there is no real interest on these , I just saw some samples and was interested to see how much work was involved and there is a lot

Matt McCoy
03-10-2017, 11:45 AM
There was a popular Kickstarter project years ago that used a laser to cut 3D monster models out of old vinyl records. Its creators quickly discovered that this was bad news for their health, environment, and the laser as they started shipping these to backers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewhyde/monster-records-laser-cut-vinyl-record-puzzles/comments

stan kern
03-10-2017, 11:48 AM
yes I agree its not something I would run every day or take large orders, tried it done it ,looks good and that's it

Paul Phillips
03-10-2017, 12:36 PM
FWIW, I talked to a ULS rep a few years ago who had a customer that was laser cutting some kind of PVC material and went though new machines every year but his profit was so high he didn't care, just kept having his machines repaired or replaced. The biggest concern like others have said would be the exhausted fumes. I think I remember Dave Sheldrake mentioning one time the cost of a filter system that would be able to handle chlorine gas would be astronomic.

stan kern
03-10-2017, 1:28 PM
I was told that people used to burn there old records, you can image what sort of toxic fumes would be present
The laser cuts these images in 8-9 min and a clean cut.
Its too bad that there is serious hazard with the record cut and if one was to engrave that would be worse

David Somers
03-10-2017, 2:45 PM
Stan,

Just for reference. When you are dealing with a material you are curious about do a search for the MSDS sheet on it. (the material safety data sheet) That can give you a lot of info on the materials and any hazards they present. And anytime you see the word "Vinyl" by itself or in a chemical configuration alarm bells should start ringing in your mind.

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
03-10-2017, 9:43 PM
true Paul,

Mine cost a fortune years ago and the disposal of waste was a nightmare. Figure on nice house sort of costs for the scrubbing equipment to cut PVC on a laser and the same again over a 10 year period to have it maintained :(

Dave Sheldrake
03-10-2017, 9:44 PM
Stan,

Just for reference. When you are dealing with a material you are curious about do a search for the MSDS sheet on it. (the material safety data sheet) That can give you a lot of info on the materials and any hazards they present. And anytime you see the word "Vinyl" by itself or in a chemical configuration alarm bells should start ringing in your mind.

Dave

It's not the Vinyl content brother, it's the "Chloride" bit that is so dangerous in most cases

Stan: Make "Fake" records out of acrylic and cut those, they look just as good and won't kill you

David Somers
03-10-2017, 9:59 PM
Thanks for the correction Dave!!!! Much appreciated!

I have to admit, here in the Pacific Northwest many folks shorten the names of these materials to just vinyl. It is one of those words that makes me dig now that I am using a laser. But you are absolutely right that the Choride bit is the dangerous part and there are some vinyls that do not contain it.

I even caught folks in a local plastic supply shop referring to PETG and Mylar and similar thin sheet materials as Vinyls. I had to get them to look up what they actually were since the labeling was so off.

Mayo Pardo
03-13-2017, 2:41 AM
3M Super 77 for hold down, and a CNC with a 1/16" or 1/8" bit you could do something similar, without the associated hazards of doing it in the laser.

Lee DeRaud
03-13-2017, 3:05 AM
I think I remember Dave Sheldrake mentioning one time the cost of a filter system that would be able to handle chlorine gas would be astronomic.Naw, just bubble it through a bong filled with liquid sodium... converts it to table salt. :eek::eek::eek:

(It's a joke, I say, a JOKE, son!!)