PDA

View Full Version : help with cutting angle on TS

Larry Crim
10-16-2005, 11:41 AM
I am having a problem with cutting a angle on the TS, Here is what I am using
Incra 1000SE miter
1023 sl griz TS

What I am getting is a unevan cut making it hard to make a good joint I exagetated it in the drawing to show the problem, The cut is not as bad as in the drawing but still is bad enough that I am not happy with it.
any Ideas on what I am doing wrong or where I need to make adjustments. I have aligned the blade to the miter slot with dial indicator several times and am sure it is on the mark. I have used several blades to see if there was a differance but it was the same with all the blades I tried.
Thanks
Larry

Scott Parks
10-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Is this with the blade at 45* and the miter at 90*, or is the miter at 45* and the blade at 90*?

My thoughts are: if the miter gauge is at 45*, your stock is probably slipping along the face of the miter fence. Double stick tape some sandpaper on the fence. Try clamping your stock to the fence and see if this helps.

If your blade is cranked to 45* and this is happening, it is likely that the miter slots in the table are not perfectly paralell to the blade. I recently exchanged my 1023SL with a brand new one. The new one came, and when I checked it with a dial, over the length of the blade, it was off by .008". (that is a lot). With some tweaking, I can get it down to less than .001".

My bet is that the first scenario is the culprit. If your wood is slipping on the fence, you'll definately get a curved cut.

Larry Crim
10-16-2005, 2:06 PM
I have the miter at 45 and have sandpaper on the face with a clamp, when I check the miter slot to the blade it is at just a hair over .001". I think I might try to zero it to the right miter slot and give that a try, see if I get the same results.
Larry

Doug Shepard
10-16-2005, 2:44 PM
I'm also thinking stock creep might be part of the problem, but is there any play at all in the miter bar to the head piece of the Incra? And have you tried pushing through the cut, and stopping the saw (without pulling back through the blade), and if so did it only go off angle on the leading edge of the cut? It sort of looks like you might be getting some slight rocking of the head piece. First in one direction as you push, then in the other when you pull back. Just a thought.

Don Naples
10-16-2005, 3:37 PM
Larry: I have an Incra 1000SE and found it was not at 90 degrees vertically. To eliminate errors that could contribute to the problem you are having, check to see if there is any wobble of the miter (adjust the nylon split washers) and check to see if the fence is exactly vertical to the table. I had to add shims to correct mine, but once I did, all worked well.

Bob Johnson2
10-16-2005, 4:46 PM
If it is creep, I get around it by sneaking up on the cut mark. Cut it a shade long then take off the last 32nd" or so on a 2nd pass. As was mentioned it might be the return stroke, if your doing that.

Larry Crim
10-16-2005, 7:38 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I had already checked the incra and shimmed the fence to 90 mine was quite a way off originally and have adjusted the washers a couple of times just to make sure. When making the cut I sneak up on the mark and go all the way through I don't bring the stock back through the blade. This one has got me puzzled I have always been able to make good angle cuts but this is the first time I have done it with wider boards (6") I usually am doing something like pic frame stock maybe 2-3" and it comes out fine.
Larry