PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable shelves?

Doug Whitson
10-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi all, Short Bio-My name is Doug Whitson, reside in Phoenix AZ. I've got 24'X24' gar..er...shop. Been doing woodworking for the better part of 10 years, late start as I'm 50 now. I fiddle with what ever strikes my fancy, turning, bandsawn boxes, furniture, pergolas etc. Thought I would introduce myself and try out your board as the one I currently frequent is not very responsive for some reason.
The question: I'm making a kitchen roll around cabinet for my sister. 45LX32HX24W. Looks kinda like a vanity. Two big drawers on the right (11"wide) with two door on the left (16" wide). Behind the doors is a verticle partition effectively dividing the space in half. Each side needs two adjustable drawers-yep-you read it right. Adjustable drawers. I've done the adjustable shelf thing with drilling a billion holes and putting pins in, but I have never encountered adjustable drawers, have you? Any input would be welcome. Sorry for the long windedness.

Doug Shepard
10-16-2005, 11:16 AM
First - welcome to SMC.
I don't know if something like these would work for you or not. Lee Valley has some metal drawer sides that ride in a saw kerf. The look may not be what you had in mind either, but if you put saw kerfs every 1" or so you could locate the drawers anywhere you wanted. I used them on a drawer unit underneath my router table and they work pretty well but definitely not as smooth as something like a ball-bearing type drawer slide.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32734&cat=1,250,43315

Andy Hoyt
10-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the creek Doug. Where are the pics of that gar.. er... shop

I can think of two solutions for this. One cheap one not.

But first - are you planning on using metal slides or wood runners?

Lee DeRaud
10-16-2005, 11:25 AM
See if this helps: http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=1514
It's an adapter that allows draw runners to attach to standard metal shelf standards.

Steve Clardy
10-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Welcome to the creek. I do cabs for a living and make my own system.
There are metal systems out there that will work, but pricey. 40-50 dollars per unit, without the drawers.

I make my own and if you need a few details about how I do it just ask. I currently don't have any pics to post, but can get some taken.
Steve

Doug Whitson
10-16-2005, 11:58 AM
I was thinking (bad move?) about drilling like you would for shelves, making runners to "fit" between the slide and the drawer and using the fit to hold it in place. I'm using 24" full extention slides. My thought was that the center divider would give enough to let the drawer snap in place. I guess I should mention that the "drawers" will be nothing more than a 1/2" piece of ply with the front and sides being inch and half solid stock. More like a raised border than a drawer. She's going to keep large items, not heavy except for the kitchen aid. She doesn't need containment as much as she needs access.
What do ya think? will it work?
Thanks again for all the replys and the welcomes-great place.
Doug

Can't seem to get the attachments to work.

Andy Hoyt
10-16-2005, 12:11 PM
On further thought and info, my two ideas won't work.

I think your hope to let the "fit" hold things in place would work fine until the first change in humidity (although that's less of an issue in AZ) or until someone bangs around or dumps that Kitchen Aid in a hurry.

I like Lee's solution the best thus far.

Doug Whitson
10-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Yep Lee's remedy may be the answer but I gotta check with Steve to see what he does.
Thanks,
Doug

Dave Falkenstein
10-16-2005, 1:34 PM
Hi - I'm in AZ too. Welcome to the Creek. I have installed numerous sliding shelves made by a Phoenix company called Shelves-that-Slide - what a clever name!!! Anyway, one installation option with these shelves is using adjustable shelves as the base for mounting the slides. The slides come with L-brackets that mount to the shelf, instead of to the cabinet side. Two screws are added at the rear/top of the shelf to keep it from tipping up when the sliding shelf is opened. To adjust the shelf, you would remove the screws, move the shelf, and replace the screws. The shelves are offered with a full extension slide option. This system could be easily built yourself, or you could buy the hardware at Shelves-that-Slide.

Doug Whitson
10-16-2005, 2:01 PM
Hi Dave, Nice to see a fellow Zonie. Thanks for the heads up on Shelves that slide. Wonder if they have a store? Hmmm, I'm talking with Steve, he has a method of attaching full extention slides that I'm mulling over. I'll sure keep the other place in mind though. I'm begining to wonder if the adjustability is really needed. She just might have to do without. I mean, it's not like it's a pantry or anything, it's only 30" high on the inside.