PDA

View Full Version : Testing a new Shop Fox W1713 Scroll Saw

rudy de haas
03-09-2017, 3:55 PM
Despite the advice from people here (much appreciated!) to the effect that the Dewalt 788 is the right choice for non professional scroll saw users I bought the Shopfox 16" - in large part because (a) it cost $225 Cdn (about $171 U.S.) new vs about U.S. $ 445 for the Dewalt; and (b) I have (at least for now) only a few specific uses for it.

The box it came in was damaged - a small hole near the top, some damage to the styrofoam packing, no obvious damage to the machine. Unpacking and set-up took about 10 minutes but the thing went from a quiet buzz to loud banging and rattling when turned to full. Turned out that the hold down as installed rattled against the blade guard to make a sound like a couple of bolts being shaken in a tin cup.

So now I've made my first ever scroll saw cuts (vibration is not a problem) and, from my perspective, everything seems to be fine. What I'd like to know, however, is what tests an expert might perform to see whether the thing is ok or not (given the box damage)? Suggestions please?