PDA

View Full Version : 20 watt Ray Fine Fiber

John Lifer
03-09-2017, 9:24 AM
Finally DHL shows my laser leaving China.
Looks like it will be in US tonight, we'll see how long it takes customs.
Was 13 Business Days from their receipt of payment to shipping.
It is the cheaper MOPA they offer, I'll let you guys know how it works.
Boxed up. I bought the remote for my CO2 laser.
Thought it would slow down my wear on the main keypad as I use it to run the laser 99% of the time as I use desktop.

Rotary, table, glasses and second lens for options.

Bill George
03-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Finally DHL shows my laser leaving China.
Looks like it will be in US tonight, we'll see how long it takes customs.
Was 13 Business Days from their receipt of payment to shipping.
It is the cheaper MOPA they offer, I'll let you guys know how it works.

Boxed up. I bought the remote for my CO2 laser.
Thought it would slow down my wear on the main keypad as I use it to run the laser 99% of the time as I use desktop.

Rotary, table, glasses and second lens for options.

She (Ray Fine lady) needs to send you the info for customs, and when the machine arrives in Ohio I think it is, the DHL hub for Air Freight there is another form DHL needs to provide you with to fill out for FDA approval. All the info on that form has to be filled out exactly right, and the same top and bottom. Otherwise it gets lost in La La Land like mine did without a clue of what to do next. I sent the info correctly and they never bothered to read the emails (PDF attachment ) until about 5 days later, when one of them says.... oh here it is you have already filled it out.... Duh.

John Lifer
03-14-2017, 10:35 AM
Well, a little update just to help others with timeframe. Left China on 3-8, arrived on the 9th in Cincinnati 11am, Got to sort facility at 1am on the 10th and I received email on the 10th (friday) about 1pm from DHL. I did need the ascension number the FDA gives the manufacturer in order to fill out the 2877 form for the FDA. DUH, I knew this and didn't ask or receive from Ray Fine. I have mentioned this to Blanca and she said she would make note and insure new customers receive this. Hopefully she follows thru, but you DO need to ask for this no matter what type of laser you order.
Well, I got the information, submitted my proof of existence, (copy of social security card) the FDA 2877 form and the POA, power of attorney for DHL to handle the customs on late Friday after close. Emailed again on Monday morning to insure receipt, (thanks Bill George) and received email from DHL rep that he had received and needed nothing else. This morning I received text saying it had cleared customs and to pay the duty and fees.

Which were way less than what I paid for my CO2 laser and this one cost more! No excessive brokerage fees, DHL charged what I consider minimal fee. My other broker hit me up for $300 on top of Customs. DHL, roughly $50.
So I'm a happy camper there!

So I went and paid on line, and hopefully it should be moving again tomorrow. My expectations is it should get on plane again to Arkansas by end of day tomorrow, but with Northeast getting hit with snow, it may be delayed a day or two more. No biggie, I can't receive till Monday as I'm leaving town in the morning......
Fairly quick process so far with the right information.

John Lifer
03-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Oh, one other thing. I received email from Blanca to make sure I inspect carton before signing for it. I did look closer at my paperwork and DHL does show valuation, which I assume includes insurance for the total value. If damaged, I should make claim. Just something to note, and I didn't on my first ocean shipped laser, as I assumed there really was no insurance and having gone thru several hands, the shipper would deny they damaged it. They could say it was the port, or the broker, or a mystery man.
This shipment stayed with DHL the whole time, so if damaged it would be DHL's responsibility and they should handle easier and quicker.

Kristian Matz
03-14-2017, 11:01 AM
My laser is traveling via FedEX and is supposed to be clearing customs before it gets flown over here. I expect to have a tracking number tonight. We fly in products from China all the time via FedEx and do not need to provide anything to customs, I wonder if it will be different for the laser.

Matt McCoy
03-14-2017, 11:48 AM
My laser is traveling via FedEX and is supposed to be clearing customs before it gets flown over here. I expect to have a tracking number tonight. We fly in products from China all the time via FedEx and do not need to provide anything to customs, I wonder if it will be different for the laser.
The FDA regulates lasers and requires cutting a little red tape.

Bill George
03-14-2017, 1:19 PM
Yes see Johns post above #3, FDA form has to be filled out to clear customs. DHL acted as my agent, I do not know how FedEx works on that function.

David Somers
03-14-2017, 2:28 PM
Very exciting! Anxious to hear how you like the MOPA. How do you plan to use it? Just curious.

Brian Book
03-14-2017, 4:26 PM
Looking Good John .... at present I'm happy just playing with my Laser :) .... no Room for anything else !!!!

Brian

John Lifer
03-14-2017, 4:26 PM
In my tracking info it looks to have cleared customs in China. Maybe this is normal US customs thru DHL. But it had to go thru FDA in the US. Normal still avoids FDA but not lasers.. David, I hope to get some work from a guy local on silencer production. And I have several other potentials. I took a chance on this one, I don't have any firm contracts. But it seemed like a lot of what I was asked about really need a fiber. We'll see! Main thing is to learn to use it. Looks to be more if a steeper learning curve that the CO2.

David Somers
03-14-2017, 4:33 PM
Very nice....that work could be fairly lucrative if Congress passes the bill removing restrictions on the use and registration requirements/costs of silencers. Anywhere you can local scrap material to practice on? Nothing like play to teach you the best settings?

Kristian Matz
03-15-2017, 9:00 AM
I checked with my contact at Ray Fine and they attached the FDA document to the crate and also sent me a copy in case I need it. Laser was picked up in Shanghai today and DHL (they changed from FedEx to save time) says it should be delivered tomorrow.

Bill George
03-15-2017, 10:23 AM
I checked with my contact at Ray Fine and they attached the FDA document to the crate and also sent me a copy in case I need it. Laser was picked up in Shanghai today and DHL (they changed from FedEx to save time) says it should be delivered tomorrow.

Good luck with DHL, it needs to clear FDA and Customs in US not just China. Do a Search on my posts about DHL, it will take longer than you think and the DHL delivery update is not even close. Remember DHL is getting paid by you to act on your behalf to act as a customs Broker. The attachment to the crate means nothing, you will never see it. The FDA form is what needs to be filled out by you correctly and signed by you via PDF.

John Lifer
03-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Yep, mine showed the same thing. Took two days to clear customs. Left Cincinnati this morning, went thru Dallas and arrived in Springdale at noon. Could have been delivered this afternoon, but I'm out of town, headed to the Arlington NBM show. Daughter will sign for it Friday. So if you have info, and get it to DHL when they ask, you should have two days after, so maybe Friday if you are really lucky or Monday.

John Lifer
03-20-2017, 6:45 PM
Well, after a few days, I finally got my fiber in.
It was ready to come home the other day. I was out of town at the NBM show and DHL called and said he was putting on the van, did I have a way to unload, he couldn't do by himself.
Well, as a matter of fact, yes, my small tractor has a set of forks I put on the bucket to move things around with. But I'm not home and my daughter won't try it.
So we agreed to hold it to this morning. Got the call at 9, and the girl arrived at 9:30 and I unloaded it in about 2 minutes.
Then was able to bring around to my door and unpack. No damage, Boxed really well with a bunch of plastic foam. Not styro, but plastic. Good stuff.

I then unpacked and moved it all in. Great day, 80 degrees so, I had good afternoon.
It took me an hour to figure out the configuration and setup, Ray fine send disk, and also a thumb drive. These things sometimes need the thumbdrive, but no, it contained the software and setups for the laser.
I have two lens and laser has to be configured for each. Guess I need to try and read manual too!
At any rate, it WORKS! I've already played with aluminum and stainless and coke can along with PC flashlight and a drill chuck that was just laying there!

My cheap setup, would have made the table bigger, but that was the size of my Melamine mdf sheets I had on hand. I'll move it out farther to get the lens centered over the table proper.
Now I just have to come up with settings for the stuff I want to do!

David Somers
03-20-2017, 10:13 PM
Very cool John! Congrats!!!!

Custom engraved Coke cans? A niche market certainly. Hopefully it is lucrative for you!! <teasing grin>

I keep meaning to ask where (roughly) you are in Arkansas? I worked a few years at Hot Springs National Park. Worked a lot of night shifts so I didnt get to explore the state too much, but a bit. A pretty state.

John Lifer
03-20-2017, 11:20 PM
Way up in NW corner. Near the Walmart empire, but closer to the Tyson chicken empire....
Dang they stink!

David Somers
03-20-2017, 11:36 PM
I agree John! Walmart could be cleaner! (grin)
Chickens? Love to eat em, but as neighbors large scale? Ima NIMBY!
I went to college in rural ME and our nextdoor neighbor was a chicken facility. Every morning, as you sat down to eat eggs in the cafeteria, they fired up the incinerators to get rid of the night's fowl fatalities. Ughhhhh. Eggs lost their luster until my nose got used to it.

Erik Goetheer
03-21-2017, 7:32 AM
Congratulations John, that is a slick setup. How much does the fibre weigh in total? Did you really need the forklift because of the weight or was it just an easy way to move the box?

John Lifer
03-21-2017, 7:46 AM
It only weights about 175 pounds max. I think 300 odd kilos marked. So 150.

No, I guess if I had another good back here I could have moved it by hand, DHL sure didn't want to do more than push to side door. But I had the forks, and I could fasten securely to move around house to basement. I have about a 5ft drop in elevation front to back and didn't want to tip it. And tractor likes to run....

Kristian Matz
03-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Looks good. DHL says mine will come today, I am not holding me breath.

Bill George
03-21-2017, 5:43 PM
Well, after a few days, I finally got my fiber in.
It was ready to come home the other day. I was out of town at the NBM show and DHL called and said he was putting on the van, did I have a way to unload, he couldn't do by himself.
Well, as a matter of fact, yes, my small tractor has a set of forks I put on the bucket to move things around with. But I'm not home and my daughter won't try it.
So we agreed to hold it to this morning. Got the call at 9, and the girl arrived at 9:30 and I unloaded it in about 2 minutes.
Then was able to bring around to my door and unpack. No damage, Boxed really well with a bunch of plastic foam. Not styro, but plastic. Good stuff.

I then unpacked and moved it all in. Great day, 80 degrees so, I had good afternoon.
It took me an hour to figure out the configuration and setup, Ray fine send disk, and also a thumb drive. These things sometimes need the thumbdrive, but no, it contained the software and setups for the laser.
I have two lens and laser has to be configured for each. Guess I need to try and read manual too!
At any rate, it WORKS! I've already played with aluminum and stainless and coke can along with PC flashlight and a drill chuck that was just laying there!

My cheap setup, would have made the table bigger, but that was the size of my Melamine mdf sheets I had on hand. I'll move it out farther to get the lens centered over the table proper.
Now I just have to come up with settings for the stuff I want to do!

There were two files with mine on something, I don't recall if it was a USB drive or CD? Anyway all ready to go for 100 mm and 150 mm lens. Do you need?

John Lifer
03-21-2017, 9:19 PM
Bill, It has both on my thumb drive! I thought initially they were same files, (most of them are), but they are there. Now, I've got a f=160mm lens and a f=210 Not 100 and 150!
I'll play with them both, I do know instructions for the settings were for the 210mm as there is a drawing showing the focus distance for the 210mm lens. I'll look closer!

Thanks!