PDA

View Full Version : Pen pot

Adam Petersen
03-09-2017, 4:45 AM
Hello,

I had a small piece of mulberry already chucked up and had finished my articulated arm hollower and wanted to give it a try on something I have done by hand to see the difference between the two. This mulberry was fully seasoned and the final product is about 3.5" by 3". It's not big and didn't push any limits, but it was the maiden voyage for the tool so I wanted to take it slow. It performed very well, and is much easier than by hand. I don't think that's news to anyone. The laser made getting a consistent depth and wall thickness SO easy. I was really impressed by that. Overall I'm very pleased with the results of the tool and can't wait to try something a little more challenging. 355677355678 Sorry the pics are so bad, I only have a phone camera and if I could take a photo of the outside lens you'd see there isn't one anymore!

-Adam

Brent Wells
03-09-2017, 10:47 AM
looks great, I just got an articulated hollower myself, but have yet to use it. Looks like I need to get into the shop.

Adam Petersen
03-09-2017, 5:36 PM
Thanks Brent. I think you'll enjoy it!

Greg Parrish
03-09-2017, 7:26 PM
Looks great. Which hollower did you get? I'm looking at adding one soon too. Thanks.

Adam Petersen
03-09-2017, 8:49 PM
Hi Greg,

I got the Jordan 3/4" straight hollower and Sorby hooker tool. It's 3/4" too. I have a 1/2" Crown multi-tip straight hollower, Sorby swan neck multi-tip hollower and a Harrison STH straight hollower. The new ones (Jordan and Hooker) were what I used as I wanted to try them out. They worked very well. The Jordan can be aggressive, but that's the novice in me screwing it up. I do like it the price. I think I'll get his 1/2" set too at some point. The 3/4" was overkill for this small pot.

Greg Parrish
03-09-2017, 9:16 PM
Nice.

Did you build your own steady rest also?

Adam Petersen
03-11-2017, 12:38 AM
Nice.

Did you build your own steady rest also?

Yes I did. I did a post on it a few weeks ago.

Reed Gray
03-11-2017, 12:28 PM
I consider pieces like that to be excellent practice for hollow forms. You can see the cuts as you go, which makes it easier to 'feel' what you are doing inside of a hollow form. That dead center in the bottom is the most difficult part to get. They do sell also, and I have a bunch around the house...

robo hippy