PDA

View Full Version : New Doors for mausoleum

John A langley
03-08-2017, 1:24 PM
355630 is the old door and having trouble uploading the picture of the new door

John A langley
03-08-2017, 1:34 PM
I do not know why I can't get the new picture to upload i'm going to go take a new picture and see if that'll work

Brad Barnhart
03-09-2017, 4:31 AM
looks like ya got yourself a project, Mr. John.

Lee Schierer
03-09-2017, 7:41 AM
I do not know why I can't get the new picture to upload i'm going to go take a new picture and see if that'll work

How to post photos. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?25115-How-to-Attach-Images-Inline) Make sure your image files are less than 1 meg in size before uploading.

John A langley
03-09-2017, 8:46 AM
355680here's the inside of the door not as good a picture as the outside they have not installed the astragal or the trim

John A langley
03-09-2017, 9:00 AM
355681Got it The door is made out of African mahogany

Mel Fulks
03-09-2017, 1:50 PM
They look real good. I don't think unpainted is good for exterior doors ,but I've been unable to convince most customers.
Im sure many are curious about how you made curved to straight and rail joints in that area. As you might have seen in old books there are some interesting complicated joints for that ,but I've never seen one "in real life"...that I know of. I've always used butt joint at spring line with two splines on each joint . Vertical grain ,only about an inch tall,but carefully fitted with plane.
Some I've been able to "monitor" over the years and they have held up well.

John A langley
03-09-2017, 2:51 PM
Mel
Thanks for the kind words. I'm with you on the paint.
The originals were painted on the outside and stained on the inside.
The old doors were 106 years old.
I used a spline joint. Built the doors pretty much like the old timers did it.
It was a fun project to do.

Brad Barnhart
03-09-2017, 9:40 PM
beautiful work, Mr. John!

Bill Dufour
03-09-2017, 10:35 PM
Do they have concerts inside like the one in Oakland, California designed by Julia Morgan? I believe it is in a few weeks now. Those are not books on the shelves they are boxes for the ashes.
Bill D.

http://www.gardenofmemory.com/

Larry Edgerton
03-10-2017, 9:10 AM
Mel
Thanks for the kind words. I'm with you on the paint.
The originals were painted on the outside and stained on the inside.
The old doors were 106 years old.
I used a spline joint. Built the doors pretty much like the old timers did it.
It was a fun project to do.

Very fun project, and you did a beautiful job! Most of the stuff we do is pretty hum-drum, but once in a while its nice to get something over the top.

Larry Edgerton
Crooked Tree Joinery

John A langley
03-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Very fun project, and you did a beautiful job! Most of the stuff we do is pretty hum-drum, but once in a while its nice to get something over the top.

Larry Edgerton
Crooked Tree Joinery
Same here A lot of my stuff is square boxes The City of Baldwin moved the building from a private residence to the city cemetery in 1906 A gentlemen built It for his wife nobody knows where she is now she's not in the cemetery