PDA

View Full Version : Jet JBOS-5 Spindle Sander Dust Control Mod

Steve Cowart
03-08-2017, 10:58 AM
I recently added a Jet JBOS-5 to my shop and knew going in that the dust control was not great. The entire front of the machine was open and the funnel at the back only allowed a 2" connection. After using it for a short while it was clear that it was next to useless for dust collection.

The first thing I did was get a 4” 45 degree PVC drain elbow and a short 4” piece of PVC pipe. I removed the stock plastic black dust shroud and cut it in half to leave a rectangular opening about 3” by 2 1/2”. I took the 4” section of pipe and cut a slice in it lengthwise. I boiled a pot of water and dipped the pipe section into it for a very short time until it became rubbery, then pulled it open and put it under the faucet. See the attached picture. The whole operation took just a few minutes. I had to slightly trim the height and the ends to fit, but now it easily pops in the opening in the front and completely shrouds everything. It can be removed by just slightly squeezing it and pulling it out.

I then took the 45 PVC elbow and dipped one end in the boiling water. I then pushed the soft PVC over the square end of the black shroud that I cut off earlier. It very easily conforms the the square and can be locked in shape by a quick rinse of cool water. I glued it together and put it right back in place. the whole process took less than an hour, and most of that was waiting on the glue to dry (5 minute epoxy).

Now with a 4 inch hose attached and the front piece in place it captures well over 95% of the dust so far. The added bonus is the new parts are white and look like the came from the factory.

Using boiling water and PVC its really amazing what you can do. Great for dust collection adapting as well as water and electrical uses.

mark mcfarlane
03-13-2017, 1:11 PM
Nice plastic work. So how is the dust collection now, 70%, 80%? Are you happy with that spindle sander?

Looks like you give up tilting the table with this mod, maybe why they had a 2" hose...

Rick Potter
03-14-2017, 3:38 AM
I have an older floor model Jet, and have been thinking about a wooden plug for the front, using magnets to hold it on. I like your idea better, and I think I will see if I can do something like it.

As to tilting the table..on mine, it would just be a matter of pulling off the plug. Mine has a 4" inlet on the back side, which doesn't pick up much unless I block the front.

One suggestion. Perhaps a cabinet pull on the front of the plastic plug would make it even easier to remove.

Larry Frank
03-14-2017, 7:06 AM
Great post and mod on the spindle sander.

There seems to be not enough posts about mods to better collect dust at the source but this is a good one.

Chris Hachet
03-14-2017, 8:43 AM
I have been thinking about buying the Grizzly version of that tool. It would work very well for shaping guitars, something we are doing a lot of in my workshop. This is an intelligent, thoughtful and well executed mod, thanks for wiring this up.

Now if I could only find Green PVC....

Ben Rivel
03-14-2017, 1:45 PM
Nicely done! I bet that improved the dust collection a noticeable amount! Im planning to do something similar with my Shop Fox W1686.

Steve Cowart
03-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. So far the dust collection is close to perfect. Well over 95%, and in most cases closer to 100%. I have forgot to put the plug back a couple of times after changing the spindle and it's immediately apparent.

The plug is VERY easy to remove and replace, you simply reach in and squeeze it and it comes right out. Same in reverse for replacing it. With it out, the table tilts just like always. It really cool to watch the dust just get sucked right off the piece and disappear. I have been putting a lot of effort into dust collection and was really pleased this worked out so well.

I have even mounted a SawStop Dust Guard on my Powermatic table saw because I liked the design so well from a dust removal standpoint. Its also worked out great. I intend to do a post soon on what I did for my chop saw.

In regards to the PVC, it also is crazy easy to slightly shrink or enlarge a fitting to work with oddball size attachments. You really don't have much to risk with a really cheap fitting from Home Depot or Lowes and a pot of boiling water.

Ben Rivel
03-18-2017, 12:27 PM
In regards to the PVC, it also is crazy easy to slightly shrink or enlarge a fitting to work with oddball size attachments. You really don't have much to risk with a really cheap fitting from Home Depot or Lowes and a pot of boiling water.Good to know! I never thought of working PVC like that before. Thanks!

James Gunning
03-18-2017, 1:27 PM
Really excellent work! It's too bad more tool manufacturers wouldn't put a little time and effort into designing really effective dust shrouds for their machines. Even if they were offered as accessories.